Kaveri GCN count

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Kaveri GCN count

Postposted on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi all - has this:
http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-arch ... gcn-cores/

been discussed here? I couldn't find it here.

The part I thought was news to me was this quote on the scale of iGPU:
On the GPU side, Kaveri APU would make use of upto 512 stream processors or (MADs) which amount to 8 compute units. It is mentioned that the number of stream processors would range from 384 SPs to 512 SPs though it could feature even a higher number such as 768 SPs. The AMD Radeon HD 7750 features 512 SPs while the upcoming Radeon HD 7730 would feature 384 SPs so we are pretty much looking at performance levels of a discrete entry level GPU here which would be fantastic for a integrated graphics module. The total performance on the compute end would fall above the 1 TFLOPs limit amounting the GPU and FPU performance for the CPU core.

Some things I've read suggested that these would be the GCN1.1 / Sea Islands (7790 has 14 GCN cores). I assume 8 Compute Units is referring to GCN cores... Having recently picked up a 7790, I'm starting to hanker for a modern mobo with Kaveri. Is it too much to hope crossfire drivers are working well by end of 2013?

PS. major props to AMD for Linux support - VDPAU and power management are tremendous additions.
Athlon 620e, Asus 7790 (1GB), 8GB KVR 1333, Asus M4A785T-M, Samsung 830 256GB, WD Green 1TB, WD Green 2TB, E-mu 1212m, Dvico HD Dual Digital 4 TV tuner, Hyper 212 Evo (mounted ironically), Antec Earthwatts Platinum 450W.
atcrank
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Kaveri GCN count

Postposted on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Here are a few points about Kaveri:
1. The 512 GCN cores mean that Kaveri is basically packing an HD 7750 (on paper that is). The clocks of the GCN units on the Kaveri die will likely be lower and you'll be using DDR3 system memory instead of dedicated GDDR5 though. I'd estimate Kaveri's GPU to have 80-90% of the HD 7750's performance in real-world tests, which is excellent for an IGP but isn't going to replace a discrete card that is $100 or over. The HD 7790 is going to be well ahead of Kaveri's IGP though.

2. You'll definitely get a "modern" motherboard with Kaveri... it's not compatible with any existing motherboards on the market :D The socket FM2+ can accept old Trinity parts (for whatever that's worth), but Kaveri is pin incompatible with existing FM2 motherboards. One piece of good news is that Kaveri may finally bring PCIe 3.0 to the AMD platform, which should help with things like discrete GPUs and Crossfire.

Oh, and as for Linux support, the AMD open source drivers have been improving, although you absolutely have to use Catalyst to really get full OpenGL support.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:16 am

Thanks Chuck. Reading the Kaveri due date thread today reminded me of this, from Tom's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583.html

The background to my original post was thinking that I'd get some of the benefit of the iGPU via Dual Graphics. I was thinking maybe a 1.5x on the basic 7790 performance which could be handy, but the 'Toms' article indicates not so much. Basically, zero real extra frames contributing to smooth video.

That might be picked up in driver improvements, but apart from frame pacing, the improvements to fairly symmetrical crossfire seem pretty hard-won and game specific. Optimal drivers for dual graphics... may be some time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates

In Linux news, I updated to the latest kernel and the latest Mesa drivers and have the open source Radeon VDPAU working in MythTV. The de-interlacing is weak, especially during 'In the Night Garden'. Broke my package database somewhere in this process (I think it was stupidly -f forcing the Catalyst drivers that did it), and with a non-standard kernel I can never get help from Ubuntu again. Bloody-minded pleasure of amateur Linux use. OpenSuse next year, I think.
Athlon 620e, Asus 7790 (1GB), 8GB KVR 1333, Asus M4A785T-M, Samsung 830 256GB, WD Green 1TB, WD Green 2TB, E-mu 1212m, Dvico HD Dual Digital 4 TV tuner, Hyper 212 Evo (mounted ironically), Antec Earthwatts Platinum 450W.
atcrank
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 am

atcrank wrote:Thanks Chuck. Reading the Kaveri due date thread today reminded me of this, from Tom's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583.html

The background to my original post was thinking that I'd get some of the benefit of the iGPU via Dual Graphics. I was thinking maybe a 1.5x on the basic 7790 performance which could be handy, but the 'Toms' article indicates not so much. Basically, zero real extra frames contributing to smooth video.

That might be picked up in driver improvements, but apart from frame pacing, the improvements to fairly symmetrical crossfire seem pretty hard-won and game specific. Optimal drivers for dual graphics... may be some time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates

In Linux news, I updated to the latest kernel and the latest Mesa drivers and have the open source Radeon VDPAU working in MythTV. The de-interlacing is weak, especially during 'In the Night Garden'. Broke my package database somewhere in this process (I think it was stupidly -f forcing the Catalyst drivers that did it), and with a non-standard kernel I can never get help from Ubuntu again. Bloody-minded pleasure of amateur Linux use. OpenSuse next year, I think.

Ach! I hope you have better luck with Linux in the future. VDPAU began life as an Nvidia-proprietary extension and continues to be dominated by Nvidia. Have you tried the alternative VA-API? AMD and Intel seem to have better support for that standard in their drivers. You might want to try XBMC as an alternative home-theater software package too.

The AMD drivers under Windows have gotten some good attention with frame pacing for multi-GPU configurations. To be honest, neither SLI nor Crossfire have gotten much attention under Linux so don't expect to see too much improvement outside of Windows.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics