Adding an extra monitor (showing desktop) and SLI

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Adding an extra monitor (showing desktop) and SLI

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:42 am

Hi guys, I have an SLI question that I thought the community here might be able to help with, given the experience with frame time metrics!

I currently have a single monitor and SLI GTX670s. I play a decent amount of MMO and similar games where it would be handy to have a second monitor for maps etc. However, I am unsure on the impact on SLI and uneven frame time in particular, given AFR (if one card has to work harder than the other, since also doing the desktop). I'd rather not add a monitor and find it creates the frame time spikes that give rise to stutter.

I was wondering if anyone can help with the below questions:
If I run a game windowed on main monitor and have access to desktop on second monitor, how does this impact SLI?
If I use a USB or similar monitor, bypassing the graphics cards, would this impact the SLI performance? I am OK with the image on this monitor being static eg a map, so I can run the game full-screen non-windowed

Any help would be much appreciated!
Boffinboy
Gerbil In Training

Re: Adding an extra monitor (showing desktop) and SLI

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:23 am

For MMOs they did not back in the day work well with second monitor (WoW would black out second screen in full screen, but I've been told they changed that)
listing MMOs your frame rate is not a critical thing but when I ran dual monitor I never had an issue.
The cards are well equipped to run both monitors showing the game in eyefinity and whatever nvidias equivalent is called (without SLI)... a simple desktop is nothing.
Arvald
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am

Thank you Arvald. I wasn't sure if how they handled 2D desktop + 3D would be an issue. Although framerate is not a major issue in MMOs I do find I really notice stutters or slowdown.

I also play FPS games now and then, so would likely have the same setup there (desktop on one monitor, game on the other). Does fullscreen windowed gaming still usually perform the same as non-windowed fullscreen?
Boffinboy
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

You'll be fine. The entire framebuffer -- including your desktop -- is duplicated in the local memory of both cards, so both cards will carry the (very, very minimal) burden of showing your desktop.

Most MMOs these days -- and even some other non-MMO games -- support "Borderless Window" or "Fullscreen Windowed" or "Fullscreen Maximized" mode. I STRONGLY advise you to use this mode, although it may or may not play nice with SLI depending.

Bleh, this is why I don't use SLI anymore. lol. (⊙﹏⊙✿)
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 am

Great! Guess I can give it a go and see how SLI behaves in various games running fullscreen windowed.
Boffinboy
Gerbil In Training

Return to Graphics