Asus Monitor PA249Q - Asus pulled a fast one back in April

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Asus Monitor PA249Q - Asus pulled a fast one back in April

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 am

So the older monitor is the PA248Q and the new one is PA249Q. I have the older one and like it quite a lot. Was thinking of moving it to the front desk and adding one or two more for three front-facing monitors exactly the same dimensions, then moving my 27" HP, 21" Samsung, and 19" Dell to other computers.

By this comparison, the PA249Q seems to have more colors and a bigger price, but not much else to differentiate it from the PA248Q.

It appears that the old one is still available, and is even a little bit cheaper on Amazon.

Can anybody tell me if the differences are "that" significant? 1.07 Billion colors sounds like an order of magnitude when compared to the old 16.7 million, but in real world usage, is it really "all that?"

Expected Usage: I use Corel software and I do some 3D graphic arts and animation. I don't game much.
Last edited by morphine on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used an URL shortener for the comparison link. Seems like the long/weird link not getting through is a phpBB bug. No worries.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Asus Monitor PA249Q - Asus pulled a fast one back in Apr

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:24 am

1.07 billion colors would be a 10-bit panel, as opposed to the 8-bit panel in your current display. 10-bit panels can cover a wider color gamut, which makes them a little better for print work, but I'd stick with the older version for consistency. It'll be much more difficult to get consistent colors across different panels like that.
Thrashdog
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:26 am

Sounds like the more expensive model is a 10-bit panel instead of usual (already good) 8-bit, hence the increased color range. For your design work, you should grab the former, just as long as you're aware of what 10-bit means and how to cope with color spaces.

Edit: Dagnabbit, Thrashdog beat me to it.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks guys. I can get the PA248Q for less than $300 on Amazon. I have prime, so shipping would be fast and free. And Newegg is really messing things up lately, so I think it may be wise to avoid them.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:37 pm

If you already have a PA248Q and it does what you need there isn't a good reason to spend the extra money for additional colors. If you needed a 10 bit panel, you'd already know. :)
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Return to Graphics