Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

dodozoid
Gerbil
Topic Author

Is nVidia 3D vision dying?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:25 am

I am recently trying to buy 3D vision 2 monitor and glasess, but they dont seem to be available. Any hint of what is going on?
Is nVidia scraping 3D vision? Are they preparing new version? Or something different?

Geo2160
Gerbil

Re: Is nVidia 3D vision dying?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:01 am

Was it ever alive?

Home 3D never caught on. Even 3D cinema has had moderate succes. G-sync on the other hand will be huge.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:02 pm

You're not looking, that's what's going on. GIYF.
List of 3d monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... IsNodeId=1
Nvidia ready 144Hz 1ms monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236313
3d vision kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814998061 (out)
http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Vision-Wir ... vision+kit

This is the monitor I have, and would recommend for cheap 3d gaming. Passive 3d IPS. No nvidia glasses required. "Overclockable" refresh rate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236262 (out)
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG23AH-23-In ... B008484Q6E

G-sync will be incorporated into the next gen 3d monitors / glasses, which might be coming up soon. Hopefully the oculus rift will support g-sync. 3d monitors won't matter after that comes out.

dodozoid
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Ok, what I took from your post... there are 10 sets of nVidia glases left on your side of Atlantic ocean ( however there are many polarization based monitors, which are useless for me by the way, and 3D vision READY monitors which come without glases or IR emitor)
Unfortunately, amazon is shiping those kits only in US and I couldnt find any screen bundled with nVidia glases or 3D vision sets in stores in Europe. Some still have them listed, but none were realy available.

l33t-g4m3r

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Try ebay if you're in the EU. You can find anything there.

Nvidia also works fine with passive 3d, unless you're really wanting that tn panel and battery powered headset. Albeit at that price point I'd order an oculus rift dev kit.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm

3D HDTV's are a fad.
3D cinema is a fad.
I even managed to get 3D gaming working on my HTPC and it's just woeful.
I watched two films on my new-ish 60" 3DHDTV and it's as rubbish as I always expected - most films add nothing of value that benefits from 3D in the cinema and the 3D effect on a smaller screen is obviously less impressive, if impressive is even the right word to use.

Oculus is what people are focussing on. Real 3D that reacts to your moving head and fills your entire field of vision, not fake, pre-baked rubbish by James Cameron and Michael Bay.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

dodozoid
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok, I will consider nVidia 3D Vision® a dead tech... and wait for OR or something similar to develop...

omphaloskepsis
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

People are comparing cinema 3D with NVIDIA's 3D Vision, and it's really not the same.

I've got a good 3D tv (Samsung 8500), and I've tried a few 3D movies. I agree that it's a gimmick, and not that good.

But playing a game with 3D Vision is a much better experience--for the titles that have support through the publisher or mods. I've played the first 2 Batmans, Dishonored, and Skyrim with 3D Vision, and the 3D was good. For Skyrim if I had to choose, I'd still prefer a good ENB config to 3D, but if you have a beefy enough rig you can use both.

Is it worth the $500 for a good Lightboost monitor? IMO, no, unless you are in need of a new monitor and have money to burn. But the tech is much better than you'd expect if you haven't tried it, and it definitely improves some games, though not enough to be worth the cost.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

My issue with 3D was all the games (probably over 99% of all current games) that don't support it well; HUD, particle effects, skyboxes, skyscapes all looked completely messed up in most of them.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

l33t-g4m3r

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 am

Here's the thing. Passive IPS 3d monitors cost about the same as regular monitors. If you're buying a new monitor, why not?

NewfieBullet
Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 am

Geo2160 wrote:

Was it ever alive?

Home 3D never caught on. Even 3D cinema has had moderate succes. G-sync on the other hand will be huge.

G-sync with die for the same reason 3D vision died - minor gain for most people, Nvidia only, and it requires a new more expensive monitor. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but unless it's widely supported by Nvidia, AMD and Intel it's really going nowhere.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:56 am

NewfieBullet wrote:
Geo2160 wrote:
Was it ever alive?

G-sync with die for the same reason 3D vision died - minor gain for most people, Nvidia only, and it requires a new more expensive monitor. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but unless it's widely supported by Nvidia, AMD and Intel it's really going nowhere.

Given that it was announced just recently, it is a bit premature to be writing G-sync's epitaph. But that said, I do tend to agree that -- at best -- it will never be more than a niche product with small market share. The demand for it just isn't going to be big enough to force the rest of the industry to adopt it, or drive sales volumes to the point where the special monitors come down in price due to economies of scale.

Edit: Seems to me that much of the same benefit could be achieved by pushing for wider availability of 120 Hz monitors... this approach would have much broader industry support, since other GPU vendors wouldn't need to do anything special. And that's probably why nVidia decided to go with a proprietary scheme -- to ensure that it is an nVidia-exclusive feature.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.