Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: BF4 Mantle Thread

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

Well i'll be a monkey's uncle......its here as of this morning!

Mantle Support
The new Mantle renderer has been added in Battlefield 4. Players who meet the system requirements can expect a performance increase by using this new low-level graphics API.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:19 am

Savyg wrote:
And here we are. The mid range test case is interesting to me.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ne ... ntle-live/
AMD posted some interesting numbers as well. Seems the only time it won't accomplish much is with a high end CPU and lower end GPU.
http://wccftech.com/amd-launches-mantle ... -not-gpus/
Still waiting on the beta drivers to actually show up, but this definitely looks good. I won't have a vidcard for this until March. Heh.

Thing is however that realistically speaking i would say that the average user can expect a performance increase of about 5 – 10% with Mantle at most.

I do believe those are the EXACT numbers I have been predicting all along in the comments.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:36 am

Deanjo wrote:
I do believe those are the EXACT numbers I have been predicting all along in the comments.

Witchcraft!!

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am

puppetworx wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Witchcraft!!

Deanjo, the Euromillions have a 71 M € jackpot this week. 50/50 split for your numbers and my bet? :D
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:58 am

Back to reality,..

15% when GPU limited, 60% when CPU limited.

Win win for mantle over dx11. Its mind boggling that even after a decade + of optmization by microsoft this new api is 15 to 60% faster on the same HW as direct3d . For a first release. Pretty impressive.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 am

sschaem wrote:
Its mind boggling that even after a decade + of optmization by microsoft

Optimization? As far as I recall, all MS did was keep adding features, and making things less slow here and there, like DX11 being DX10 but not so slow.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

hahahaha :) unless you have a high end cpu... you get 20% exactly as i predicted. NOW, lets see a TR review where the real testing will occur and real metrics can be found,.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 am

oh hell, on 720p as well.. so reduced resolution... yeah thats not very nice to do... scaling makes everything look awful as well. so 20% with reduced rez? pass...
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

BlackStar
Gerbil

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 am

Are the drivers out yet?

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:56 pm

So, anybody here have any hard info on the verdict of SMT/Hyperthreading with BF4. The only hard info and test I've seen so far made it a clear disable if you allowed core parking. And no change with HT on off with core parking disabled. That's on release though, there was a bug in the beta IIRC where HT could muck it up.

I hope somebody will really test this with mantle since the new patch also enables you to manually set the amount of cores to use with "Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4" through user.cfg
From what is seen in the screenshots from mantle, 4 threads is default, even on the 12 logical cores, and it seems to be decently optimized so my guess is that no, HT wont do much, while the move to 8.1 seems to do a whole lot.
And since other CPU usage except for the game, even with HT disabled on 2600K, I think HT might do very very little, but thats just a feeling, I like to see hard info from people that does this for the living... hint *TR* :P

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

AMD: Catalyst 14.1 Beta, Mantle & Battlefield 4 Patch upda

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide you an update on said topic.

As you may know the Battlefield 4 patch has been launched today. This new patch is automatically installed on systems that already have Battlefield 4 installed. Below is the list of prerequisites that need to be met in order to take advantage of the Mantle API and experience the performance increase:

1. Have a GCN (Graphics Core Next) based GPU in your system
2. Install the latest Battlefield 4 patch from Origin (installed automatically)
3. Install the latest graphics driver, the AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta (coming soon)

With the above in place, you’ll be ready and Mantle will be enabled.

The upcoming AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver will support all desktop GCN products, though we are working with EA to further optimize performance on 280X, 270X, HD 7000 and HD 8000 series GPUs.

In addition, we’re giving the press time to exclusively test the beta driver while we implement the finishing touches on all the features you can expect from this driver.

Please keep in mind that Catalyst 14.1 is a beta driver and your feedback is important to us; once it’s released, you may report any issues or bugs by using our official reporting form: http://www.amd.com/betareport

I will make sure to update this post with the link to the driver as soon as it’s ready.

Thank you very much for your patience
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Re: AMD: Catalyst 14.1 Beta, Mantle & Battlefield 4 Patch up

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm pretty excited! Not so much for BF4, but for any tech demos out there that can show me what my HD7950 is actually capable of. Besides BF4, can you name anything that we may want to check out?

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:04 pm

New topic merged here.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Firestarter wrote:
I'm pretty excited! Not so much for BF4, but for any tech demos out there that can show me what my HD7950 is actually capable of. Besides BF4, can you name anything that we may want to check out?

The Star Swarm demo just went up on Steam.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 pm

With the new perfoverlay option that shows number of worker threads etc. I looked when at the game now when playing. With 4 cores, it only uses 2 threads. With 8 cores, after I enabled hyperthreading, the game has 4 threads active. Now I'm just waiting for 14.1 driver so I can try out mantle. The new 290x from asus is overclocked to 1100/5600 and just hungry for some data. It seems the card can deliver, I only get slowdowns when the CPU lag's behind, and that is VERY server dependent it seems. I've never had lag's before, but now with higher detail enabled it seems to grind to a halt at certain maps places.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 am

Day 2......we wait for drivers........(unless someone knows where to get them elsewhere?)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:55 am

I finally ordered my A10-7850K but I still gotta wait for the 280X and all that.
:D
if the prices don't come down though...bleh
Meow.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Day 2......we wait for drivers........(unless someone knows where to get them elsewhere?)

AMD just tweeted "Mantle Update: Our driver team is still working on putting the final touches on the Catalyst 14.1 Beta. We will keep you updated."

TechPowerUp is interpreting that as meaning there is still another 36 hours at least before the public has access because the press were promised 24 hours witht the driver before release.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 pm

BAH!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Savyg wrote:
Firestarter wrote:

The Star Swarm demo just went up on Steam.

I was about to mention it...you beat me to it :) Here is the link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/267130/
Sam

LostCat

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Savyg wrote:
Note: AMD Catalyst™ 14.1 initially supports the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and “Kaveri” APU

Arf, well glad I don't have the card yet anyway hah. (I won't decide if I'm going 270X or 280X until I see if the prices came back down.)

I'm told this was wrong info on the BF4 blog, so I don't leave people thinkin it's true.

I edited it.
Meow.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:45 am

Legit Reviews has one of the first reviews up. They paired a 3570K with a R9 260X and saw a FPS increase of 15.8%. That's pretty interesting since the 260X isn't a card you would expect to be massively bound by a 3570K.

One thing to note us that the couldn't use Fraps and relied on a a BF4 built in tool. They didn't do any frame time analysis either (though I think the tool does output frametimes). Can we take it that FCAT won't work with Mantle either? If so it would be nice to see some high speed video of Mantle in use.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Anandtech saw 7-10% at 4.2GHz with a 290X- basically what we expected in CPU-limited scenarios. I assume that if the CPU had been overclocked, the performance gap would have been smaller, and if they'd benchmarked multi-player CPU usage, the gap would have been larger. We'll likely have to wait for the [H] review to get an 'empirical' set of results for multi-player.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide you an update on said topic.

As you may know the Battlefield 4 patch has been launched today. This new patch is automatically installed on systems that already have Battlefield 4 installed. Below is the list of prerequisites that need to be met in order to take advantage of the Mantle API and experience the performance increase:

1. Have a GCN (Graphics Core Next) based GPU in your system
2. Install the latest Battlefield 4 patch from Origin (installed automatically)
3. Install the latest graphics driver, the AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta (coming soon)

With the above in place, you’ll be ready and Mantle will be enabled.

The upcoming AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver will support all desktop GCN products, though we are working with EA to further optimize performance on 280X, 270X, HD 7000 and HD 8000 series GPUs.

In addition, we’re giving the press time to exclusively test the beta driver while we implement the finishing touches on all the features you can expect from this driver.

Please keep in mind that Catalyst 14.1 is a beta driver and your feedback is important to us; once it’s released, you may report any issues or bugs by using our official reporting form: http://www.amd.com/betareport

I will make sure to update this post with the link to the driver as soon as it’s ready.

Thank you very much for your patience

Hello everyone,

The AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver is now ready and available for download. You may download it from our Driver and Support page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... -beta.aspx
Please, make sure to read the Feature Highlights, Resolved Issues and the Know Issues sections for more information about the beta driver.

Thank you again for you patience.
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Hello again, we just released more information:

FAQ: “Mantle Graphics API Frequently Asked Questions”: www.amd.com/mantlefaq
Known Issues: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... ssues.aspx
Blog: “AMD Catalyst™ 14.1, a must-have driver for gamers!" - http://community.amd.com/community/amd- ... for-gamers

I hope you'll find the above links helpful.
Sam

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm trying the driver out right now, and mainly it works decently, although I found a few bugs.
* Game mousing overlay
Although the in game overlay for mousing in menus actually interacts with the windows taskbar if it's set to the left as I have. So when to do any settings, spawnscreen etc, i need to click to the right offset the width of the taskbar of where I want to click. Quite annoying, and it only shows under mantle, not under DX11. But it's clearly visable because part of the battlefield screen sticks out like a white scare on my second screen.
Filed a bug-report to AMD on it.

* Hangs when switching maps. Ever once in a while when it starts loading a new map it hangs, only intermediate. Both me and a friend with 290-series has the same problem with mantle enabled.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I installed the driver today, but Star Swarm crashed instantly when I try it in mantle mode. DirectX 11 mode works. I don't have BF4 to test.

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Just installed the new drivers, started by testing Star Swarm benchmark.

My results:

DirectX

== Configuration ==========================================
API: DirectX
Scenario: ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input: Disabled
Resolution: 1920x1080
Fullscreen: True
GameCore Update: 16.6 ms
Bloom Quality: High
PointLight Quality: High
ToneCurve Quality: High
Glare Overdraw: 16
Shading Samples: 64
Shade Quality: Mid
Deferred Contexts: Disabled
Temporal AA Duration: 16
Temporal AA Time Slice: 2
Detailed Frame Info: Off
===========================================================

== Results ================================================
Test Duration: 360 Seconds
Total Frames: 13638
Average FPS: 37.88
Average Unit Count: 4123
Maximum Unit Count: 5350
Average Batches/MS: 631.84
Maximum Batches/MS: 1576.73
Average Batch Count: 19138
Maximum Batch Count: 104331

Mantle

== Configuration ==========================================
API: Mantle
Scenario: ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input: Disabled
Resolution: 1920x1080
Fullscreen: True
GameCore Update: 16.6 ms
Bloom Quality: High
PointLight Quality: High
ToneCurve Quality: High
Glare Overdraw: 16
Shading Samples: 64
Shade Quality: Mid
Deferred Contexts: Disabled
Temporal AA Duration: 16
Temporal AA Time Slice: 2
Detailed Frame Info: Off

== Results ================================================
Test Duration: 360 Seconds
Total Frames: 21799
Average FPS: 60.55
Average Unit Count: 4444
Maximum Unit Count: 5781
Average Batches/MS: 859.16
Maximum Batches/MS: 2824.75
Average Batch Count: 16264
Maximum Batch Count: 107485

Specs on my signature.

Next I will be benching BF4 in single player, I'll try to log the results into a file and also give my subjective experience about the results.
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Anyone else getting this micro stutter with the new drivers and Mantle enabled? Its really not a micro stutter but like a huge stutter, not really a lag spike. I dont notice the packet loss icon coming up when it happens either. I re-enabled DX11 and it goes away. Beyond that my initial thoughts are that BF4 is smooth as butter when it works, even when the levolution events happen.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:15 pm

tanker27 - exactly the same for me. Somewhat intermediate, but suddenly I get this huge spikes. And I have the perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 on all the time to look for it, and the yellow (cpu) spike goes to the top of the screen. Otherwise it's smooth as butter.

Funny thing, I tried with altai range, conquest large, same settings, only different renderer. 2560x1600, AA=Off, Ultra at most things, Although I've had the Lightning, Effects and PostProcess set to HIgh on the last batch of tests. Gonna raise them up again... DX was not playable, hovered at a avg of just below 60fps and with vsync on, that is a truly horrible experience. Switched back to mantle, rejoined, smooth as butter.

So all in all, it seems certain maps is quite a lot more CPU bound then other maps.