PS4 Exclusive 'Deep Down' Has Amazing Visuals and Mechanics

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

PS4 Exclusive 'Deep Down' Has Amazing Visuals and Mechanics

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Deep Down looks amazing. The textures, lighting effects, geometry, mechanics and destruction in this game put it in a league of its own.
You can see the gameplay footage here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRUImPWaOo

Is the fact that the this game is running on a 7850 level GPU and 8 ultra-weak X86 cores shows how far behind PC game development is with respect to consoles?
the Lionheart
Gerbil In Training

Re: PS4 Exclusive 'Deep Down' Has Amazing Visuals and Mechan

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Yeah based on that video, I am not impressed. Not at all.

I don't know what you mean by your comment about PC vs Console game development. My old hand-me-down HD 7770 could run Crysis 3 at full 1080P on high with an acceptable framerate. And that game looks stunning at any setting.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 pm

I must be missing something too. I only skipped through portions of that video but all I saw was corridor after corridor. Destruction? Is there a specific portion I need to watch? I saw nothing I'd consider dynamic in that regard and little even that appeared scripted. It looked OK, nothing amazing though. There's many other games that appear far more visually impressive. (Oh and that gameplay looked down right awful. The AI was borderline useless. I have no clue how early the game is in development, but it looked incomplete at best in terms of combat).
slowriot
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:02 pm

sid1089 wrote:I don't know what you mean by your comment about PC vs Console game development. My old hand-me-down HD 7770 could run Crysis 3 at full 1080P on high with an acceptable framerate. And that game looks stunning at any setting.

It's not the size of the *PU that matters, it's all in how you use it! :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm

slowriot wrote:I must be missing something too. I only skipped through portions of that video but all I saw was corridor after corridor. Destruction? Is there a specific portion I need to watch? I saw nothing I'd consider dynamic in that regard and little even that appeared scripted. It looked OK, nothing amazing though. There's many other games that appear far more visually impressive. (Oh and that gameplay looked down right awful. The AI was borderline useless. I have no clue how early the game is in development, but it looked incomplete at best in terms of combat).

Did you get to the dragon battle?
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 pm

It's just standard PhysX debris.
Melvar
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:41 am

Deep Down really doesn't look that impressive. Honestly I think Dark Souls 2 looks more impressive and that's being targeted at PS360.

Soooo hot for that game.

[edit]I came back and watched the video on my PC while I was awake rather than on my phone while I was asleep, and I'll admit it looks better than I originally thought; the lighting particularly. I think I'm spoiled to 120hz though -- the heavy motion blur they applied made me nauseous! I hope they release the game on PC. I'm eager to try it. I think a lot of the blasé reactions in this thread are related to these people being primarily or exclusively PC gamers. ┐(´д`)┌

I still think Dark Souls 2 is more interesting though. From Software forever!
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 pm

That's the context of course. Original poster's claim was:

Is the fact that the this game is running on a 7850 level GPU and 8 ultra-weak X86 cores shows how far behind PC game development is with respect to consoles?

When in fact this demonstrates the opposite, PC gamers are relatively spoiled and apparently original poster doesn't have actual hardcore PC gaming experience judging by above claim.
Wierdo the weirdo
wierdo
Gerbil

Return to Graphics