Is this monitor mix proposal a bit too wacky?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Is this monitor mix proposal a bit too wacky?

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I would like to set up three IPS monitors in front of my normal viewing position.

For left and right screens, I am contemplating using a Asus PA248Q Black 24.1". I already have one and this model is still being sold at Newegg, Amazon, and even my local Tigerdirect retail store and I like it a lot.

For the center screen, the easy choice would be the same monitor. But I'm also wondering if a 27" monitor with the same resolution as the Asus above might be a better choice. My thinking is that this would allow me to see better for focused work in the center position, but still have excellent quality on all three monitors while also allowing the use of eyefinity, right?

One last tidbit: I'm thinking of getting a VESA monitor stand. I see them able to handle three 24" monitors, but I don't know if a 27" monitor in the middle might cause a balance problem.

Your thoughts appreciated!
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Is this monitor mix proposal a bit too wacky?

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Eyefinity currently requires that each monitor in an array have the same resolution and orientation.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... inity.aspx
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:Eyefinity currently requires that each monitor in an array have the same resolution and orientation.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... inity.aspx

Well, nothing in his post indicates otherwise. Whether he intends to have them all oriented the same is ambiguous, however. Need more info.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 am

Agreed! I did not give enough info and well, I hadn't considered this.

Can you tell me...when you mount monitors on a triple-monitor stand, do you have to sacrifice the ability to change the orientation? Because although 80% of my casual work would be in all-landscape mode, I would still want to be able to pivot one or both side monitors to portrait based on my current task. For example, working on a web page or graphic artwork in portrait format.

I do understand that when in mixed orientation, I would have to disable Eyefinity. Is it a hassle going back and forth?
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 am

One thing I don't like about multiple screen sizes with the same resolution is: if you use windows DPI scaling (like me) because 100% scaling is too small to read comfortably, all monitors are scaled the same. So, everything will appear larger on the larger screen and almost unreadable on the smaller screen(s). (I think you already realize this based on your OP) The best way to circumvent this "problem" would be to have monitors with roughly the same DPI. 24" x 1080p = 91.8ppi and 27" x 1440p = 108.8ppi...pretty close.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am

As DPete pointed out, everything is going to be scaled to the pixels, so DPI might look goofy. However, I do see why it may still be advantageous, and you might not notice as much so long as you focus on the center for primary work and use the side monitors for secondary purposes.

On to bigger issues, if you're going to do Eyefinity, you probably should have three identical (or virtually identical) monitors. It might work with larger pixels on one screen (in a functional sense), but there would be a pretty clear mismatch between your center and side monitors. I guess that could be fine, but I think I would be personally put off.

With VESA mounts, it really depends on what you're using. Keep in mind that more moving parts in the stand means more complexity and cost. You could certainly set up the monitors in different orientations as long as you have room, but unless there's a joint to rotate orientation, you'll be stuck there until you take the monitor off.

It looks like the Asus monitors have a lot of functionality in the stands. If you're happy with them, you might consider updating your desk setup instead of a VESA mount. A riser might allow you to use the stands without making a huge sacrifice to desk space.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

BIF wrote:Can you tell me...when you mount monitors on a triple-monitor stand, do you have to sacrifice the ability to change the orientation? Because although 80% of my casual work would be in all-landscape mode, I would still want to be able to pivot one or both side monitors to portrait based on my current task. For example, working on a web page or graphic artwork in portrait format.

The answer is simple... if the stand allows the rotation only.
The stands attach to the VESA mounts and you remove the stands that the monitors came with, those stands are usually what enable the rotation.
Arvald
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Arvald wrote:
BIF wrote:Can you tell me...when you mount monitors on a triple-monitor stand, do you have to sacrifice the ability to change the orientation? Because although 80% of my casual work would be in all-landscape mode, I would still want to be able to pivot one or both side monitors to portrait based on my current task. For example, working on a web page or graphic artwork in portrait format.

The answer is simple... if the stand allows the rotation only.

Yeah, but none of the current crop on Newegg seem to indicate if they allow a quick orientation change.

Really, I just need to be able to move one of them to portrait and back, and 85% of the time, it's the right one. 10% of the time, it's the left one. 5% of the time, it's both right and left, but I could give that up... I never have to put the center monitor to portrait.

The stands attach to the VESA mounts and you remove the stands that the monitors came with, those stands are usually what enable the rotation.

Right, my Asus is like this. Remove the factory stand and all you have is the monitor; all positioning and orientation is performed by the stand.

superjawes wrote:...It looks like the Asus monitors have a lot of functionality in the stands. If you're happy with them, you might consider updating your desk setup instead of a VESA mount. A riser might allow you to use the stands without making a huge sacrifice to desk space.

I do have a riser already, and it is a "mostly good" solution. The problem is that each added monitor to the outside is restricted to the foremost vertical plane of the riser (because due to desk limitations, the riser itself is not curved; it is linear, running along the back). With three monitors sharing a stand with a central shaft, the table riser only matters in the center where the stand rests. The curved armature allows side monitor placement to be completely dissociated from the restriction of the riser forward vertical plane...if you can visualize what I'm trying to say...

To put this in perspective:

I sit with my eyes about 33" from my center monitor. This is due to my keyboard tray and the fact that I have a set of Mackie mixer controllers on my desk. The mixers themselves are nearly 19" in depth.

The center of my left monitor is 39" from my eyes. The farmost left side of my left monitor is 43" from my eyes; farther in the upper left and lower left corners. The right monitor suffers similar measurements. This is partly because I have the mixers angled to about 25 degrees for ease of use and ability to see all of the indicator lights on them, and because the table riser is a long rectangular piece of wood that cannot easily be made to "curve".

So the reason I want to get a 3-monitor stand is because a curving armature benefits me by bringing the side monitors closer to my eyes, around and just above the mixers. I think this would really help me see my side monitors much better.

But again, the biggest problem is that I can't tell which 3-monitor stands allow or don't allow fast portrait/landscape adjustments.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 am

BIF wrote:The problem is that.... the riser itself is not curved; it is linear

Just throwing this out there.
Ingredient #1
Ingredient #2
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:48 am

LOL! :lol:

Thanks, I am certainly capable of doing that! But I'm still thinking multi-monitor stand. Cleaner, more elegant, and won't have to build and finish (finishing always takes longest in any carpentry project) a riser to fit this set of mixers (at 39" wide) only to have to change it when I one day upgrade to a new mixer setup.

Just need to find one that can quickly change at least one monitor from landscape to portrait and back. It's 2014; surely somebody makes one, huh? :D

Edit: sometime on Saturday, I'm going to shut down the folding machine and cobble together some tests. This will involve moving monitors and setting them on temporary platforms to simulate what I'd get with a stand and three 24" Asus monitors. If I can bring the side monitors a bit closer and work with it for a few days, maybe I'll feel better about going with an all-landscape setup.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:10 am

I would suggest getting monitors which all have the same pixel pitch if possible, just so things don't seem weird when spanning across monitors. This used to be easy with a 16:10 center and 4:3 side monitors, but might not be so simple anymore.
Last edited by MadManOriginal on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 am

I have this one for 3x24 inch monitors. I believe there is a 26 inch compatible version you can use with your proposed 2x24+27 setup.
http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Triple-H ... s=ergotech

Uses 100mm VESA mounts (also with holes for 75mm) and allows for swivel (left-right), tilt (up-down), and rotation (90 degrees) of each monitor. Both arms on both side can swing back all the way. Rotation is "quick" but only in one direction. I'm not near it at the moment, but I believe from horizontal to portrait orientation, it is counter-clockwise.

Base is probably 10 or 15 lbs and is pretty well balanced so it isn't going to tip over any time soon.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m
mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 am

Penguin, I ended up buying almost the same stand at my local Tigerdirect store, only this one is by Inland. Haha, I also bought a second 24" Asus P248Q monitor, so I kind of blew the budget.

But it looks great, and now all front monitors can be closer to my face, 26-27" from my normal position. I'm not missing the 27" because it had to be so far away from my face and it's not an IPS monitor. Plus, it needs to go back to HP for a repair. It has two lines on the display, one is a red vertical line, and the other is a faint blue horizontal line.

I also removed the old 21.5" Samsung; what an excellent monitor that one has been for me over the years!

The Samsung will probably go in the guest bedroom and the HP will probably be attached to that server I've been wanting to build.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics