Graphics card suggestions

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Graphics card suggestions

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 pm

So i've been wanting to buy a new graphics card for about a month now, but i keep going back and forth between either the radeon r9 280x or the gtx 770. i see both pros and cons in each but i just dont know which one would be better for me. I play games a lot, rarely record (so shadowplay may come in handy), but with most of the next gen games coming out, idk how the 280x will fare with mantle compared to the 770. what do you guys think? should i switch to nvidia or should i stay with radeon? (i have a radeon atm)
AMD FX-8320
Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
16GB G.skill Sniper 1600
Radeon HD 6790 1GB
1GB Seagate 7200 rpm & 125GB Crucial M4
srgramrod
Gerbil

Re: Graphics card suggestions

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 am

Are you willing to wait until the litecoin gold rush dies down, however long that takes? Right now, all the high end AMD card are selling for much more than their list prices. The cheapest 280x on Newegg is $410, vs $330 for a 770.
Melvar
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Melvar wrote:Are you willing to wait until the litecoin gold rush dies down, however long that takes? Right now, all the high end AMD card are selling for much more than their list prices. The cheapest 280x on Newegg is $410, vs $330 for a 770.

Wow, you aren't kidding! I just looked up my video card on newegg (Sapphire 7950 3GB), and it's sell for $449.99! :o

I paid $399 for it brand new last january...
Hz so good
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm

I picked up an Asus 770 over holiday sales for $300 after a $10 rebate, and I'm very happy with it. But I probably wouldn't buy it for its currently listed price of $360 after $10 rebate.

I'd say it comes down to which vendor-specific perks seem more compelling to you. When prices are not being gouged, the 280X provides a bit more performance per dollar than the 770 and the future potential gains of Mantle, whatever those might be. The 770 gets you G-sync to use with all these fancy monitors being announced at CES (edit: Just heard about FreeSync - NVIDIA might not have the G-Sync advantage for long). And GameStream if you think you might get a Shield. I was surprised with a Shield as a Christmas present - though I was skeptical at first, it's turned out to be a really cool little device.

However, all bets are off currently--the pricing landscape at the moment is scary and confusing and just much too high.
weaktoss
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 pm

If you can go without a graphics card for a few weeks you might be able to get a free high-end card by ebaying what you have and buying an nvidia or waiting for the litecoin bubble to pop. A friend of mine did just that about two weeks ago.

As for recommendations, I've had much better luck with EVGA than any other vendor. Too bad they only serve one flavor.
NovusBogus
Gerbil XP

Return to Graphics