Graphics performance efficiency?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Graphics performance efficiency?

Postposted on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't what else to call this. Gigaflops per watt is the closest metric I've found, but the Gflop ratings between nVidia and AMD are straight out incomparable in terms of actual graphical performance. Searching for "frames per watt" results in a few other forum threads from 2008 and 2009 that didn't really seem to have any data.
Is there an actual term for this? Or am I just going to have manually search through a lot of benchmarking?
SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Re: Graphics performance efficiency?

Postposted on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:14 am

"Power consumption" tends to be the most widely used term, but part of the issue is that power consumption depends directly on the type of workload. So a flat number of Gflops per watt without an attached game or compute load would at best be inaccurate and at worst just misleading.

In order to gauge power / perf numbers you will need to search by the the specific workloads or games you're looking for... a few sites will give power numbers for each game's results, but usually it's just one or two games if at all. So it'd be a matter of Googling up the right site which just happens to use that specific game for its power benchmark. I thought I remembered one site doing it for all their game benches, but I can't seem to find it now.
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:28 am

I did this a while back on AnandTech's forums and I believe this is what you're looking for (look for the spreadsheet link - both at the top of the OP and defined and linked again in the second post - that I compiled on google docs). While it was a fun little project, it became too much data crunching for a simple past-time hobby of mine, and the lack of demand made me abandon the pursuit.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2150762
pandemonium
Gerbil In Training
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 am

Your best option would be to use TechPowerUp review charts, such as this:

Source
4670K@4.5GHz | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Return to Graphics