High temps causing lockups?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

High temps causing lockups?

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi all, I think I found what my problem is, but cant find a way to fix it. For reference my video card is a Gigabyte 6850 currently runnin Catalyst 13.12 - 13.251-131206a-166389C-ATI (12-6-2013). I've had it pretty much since launch. I have 3 displays hooked up. 1 is a 55" HDTV (for watching movies/shows/etc), 1 is a 22"1080p (which I game on), and a 19" for web browsing.
The last few weeks, whenever I game, my 19" flickers like crazy, but only while gaming. Now the last 2 days while playing DOTA2, about 40 minutes in, it'll just hard lock my machine. I run it at 1080p, with everything on/up, except shadows and textures which are on the middle options. So I ran furmark, and with the fans plugged into the board I get to 95C after doing the 1080p 15 minute test. So I plugged the fans directly into a molex adapter so they can run 100% all the time, and this time when I ran furmark, I got to 87C after 15 minutes.
I know these temps are crazy high, but cant find a way to keep them down. Right now at idle im at 53C. Is it the fans, or is my card just dying?
Just remembered, I replaced the original fans setup with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835119167 due to one of the fans dying. I put that on in April of 2013.
Just noticed something...Right now I'm watching a live game of DOTA2 thru the watch game, and my temps are at 68C for the last 10 minutes and havent really gone up. after watching the whole match, i topped out at 73C
so yet another update...I got a small desk fan, and have it on low, and played a match of dota, never got over 61C, and not a single flicker.....
Thanks
XorCist
Gerbil

Re: High temps causing lockups?

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Are the fans and fins of the heat sink completely free of dust, do those fans go on a after market of cooler or the stock cooler?

How is your case ventilation? Do you happen to have a opening for a side intake fan to blow on your GPU or other free opening's in the case somewhere you can improve case airflow?

Possibly needs new thermal paste between the heat sink and the GPU itself?

This is in the first newegg comment on the product: Other Thoughts: I bought two sets of these fans for my two 6950's that I bought used and both had fans that were failing. I didn't want to shell out $40+ per card for a whole new heatsink and fan setup for used video cards. Idle temperatures are around 35C and load temperatures are about 65C and 75C
The second comment :Cons: Not as effective as the stock cooler on my Sapphire 7950, runs 5-10 degrees Celsius higher than stock.

BTW Arctic cooling make's some good cooler's for the 6950 that are quiet to boot, but if you have bad case ventilation nothing can cool trapped heat.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards running in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922.2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm

So i took the card out and inspected it.....there was so much crap in the fins...usually when i blow it, i just give it a quick once over on the fans.....now i know get in the fins..been gaming all evening...66C max

this just has to last until i get my tax return...if i have enough after taxes, im gonna get a 270x, because gaming in 1080p while playing a movie at 1080p on the 55" at the same time is very taxing.

Oh yea, for my case I have a thermaltake shark http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133143
XorCist
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 am

^ It's usually best to clean out cases and heatsinks before the dust bunnies become sentient.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 am

Yea i usually give my case a quick blow out every month...never thought to blow the fins out...plus it was never an issue til now....
XorCist
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 pm

XorCist wrote:Yea i usually give my case a quick blow out every month...never thought to blow the fins out...plus it was never an issue til now....

Every month!!!!!!!!!! Your computer in the laundry room beside the dryer lint vent? Wow, I clean mine once a year and there is barely any dust! I find my brothers get a lot of dust also, he has baseboard heaters. I have forced air furnace that recircs continuously with a 4" MERV 11 filter that takes pretty much all the dust out of my air in my house.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Back in college I lived in the dorms my freshman year. Baseboard heating and hundreds of students that rarely cleaned (dust/vacuum) their rooms. I had a case without fan filters that required bi-monthly cleanings. It was disgusting. Ahh the good 'ol days.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
XorCist wrote:Yea i usually give my case a quick blow out every month...never thought to blow the fins out...plus it was never an issue til now....

Every month!!!!!!!!!! Your computer in the laundry room beside the dryer lint vent? Wow, I clean mine once a year and there is barely any dust! I find my brothers get a lot of dust also, he has baseboard heaters. I have forced air furnace that recircs continuously with a 4" MERV 11 filter that takes pretty much all the dust out of my air in my house.

Where I live there is so much dust/soot/pollution in the air, its foul. So yes, once a month is pretty much necessary.

Yay!
http://content.time.com/time/specials/p ... 82,00.html

smh
XorCist
Gerbil

Return to Graphics