Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Ruh roh

Still ho hum integer, but...

The power use is so damn efficient it doesn't matter

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Miners might target Nvidia Maxwell next

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Depends how many cards/machines you feel like running I suppose. With some of those crazy ass rigs I doubt they care that much about power efficiency over performance.
Meow.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't anticipate GPU mining still being viable by the time the more serious Maxwell cards hit store shelves. Scrypt ASICs are already being developed so even if the altcoins don't crash and burn--LTC is currently trading at 25% of its peak value--these Radeon farms will soon be seriously outclassed by dedicated solutions.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 pm

It this because NV re-introduced a barrel-shifter to Maxwell? I've heard some rumblings that it was the key to AMD taking the premature lead in crypto-currency mining.

Although at this point, I'm surprised at how many people are still willing to dogpile into bitecoin mining, when it'll get more and more difficult in the near-term, and people missed the boat for lucrative mining by a few years.

But, hey, whatever floats their goat. Hopefully, by having two architectures to choose from, it'll help spread out the the pain on the supply end .

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 am

Savyg wrote:
Depends how many cards/machines you feel like running I suppose. With some of those crazy ass rigs I doubt they care that much about power efficiency over performance.

Power efficiency is EVERYTHING.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 am

Those are based on published tdp, nothing was actually measured.

Measured, as seen from the 750ti review the tdp is not reflected.

LostCat

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 am

Waco wrote:

Is it? Powers pretty bloody cheap here. Equipment costs, space for needing 3x the cards...that doesn't seem like a fantastic tradeoff to me.

I'm no miner but talk is cheap, and I'm not convinced.
Meow.

CityEater
Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:53 am

What miner is this running? Is it the Cuda miner? As others have said power efficiency is king but perhaps not if you have to run 3 plus cards at the moment to match one 290. Hardware costs, as opposed to power costs, are also upfront; so it plays a role in the decision making. How likely is it those rigs have paid for themselves already anyway? There's probably 7970s still waiting to pay themselves off.

Don't overestimate the speed at which Scrypt ASICs will take to come to market, or even whether they'll be as efficient as this. Ultimately there's nothing stopping them from developing another alt currency which is even better targeted to GPU computing and trade that against the bitcoin market the same way litecoins, dogecoin et al is now. Because GPUs are a pretty plentiful commodity its easier for a casual miner to implement, impossible if it becomes an ASIC race. Plus a secondhand market exists for GPUs and that seems like a big plus.

But if I was getting in now those numbers look pretty good if true. Cheap to implement MH/$ and maybe quieter. I doubt we'll see a dump of secondhand 290s on ebay for a few months yet though (and maybe 1200w PSUs?). Maybe if the efficiency scales up well to its bigger brothers.

I guess Nvidia smelt the blood in the water...

*Edit

Eyeballing those numbers again something doesn't look right. The 780 series looks too efficient vs the R7/R9 series. I mean the 780ti numbers look out to me on the Power/MH chart. Where are these graphs from? Maybe someone who knows more about this could explain?

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:53 am

Savyg wrote:
Waco wrote:

Is it? Powers pretty bloody cheap here. Equipment costs, space for needing 3x the cards...that doesn't seem like a fantastic tradeoff to me.

Consider this, you can get 5-6 GTX 750 Ti for the going price of a 790x, get better performance overall (about 2x the performance of a 790x with 6 cards), and you can get away with far cheaper power supplies (a 400-500 watt should suffice for running a 3 card setup) and get double bang for your buck on power costs.

Orwell
Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:16 am

Regarding the source of these numbers (very important!), they seem to originate from PCPer:
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/ ... GTX-750-Ti
2600K @ 4400MHz/1.3V | MSI GTX780Ti | Asus Maximus GENE IV | Samsung 850 500GB | Dell U2713HM | Boston Acoustics A26

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 am

Deanjo wrote:
Savyg wrote:
Waco wrote:

Consider this, you can get 5-6 GTX 750 Ti for the going price of a 790x, get better performance overall (about 2x the performance of a 790x with 6 cards), and you can get away with far cheaper power supplies (a 400-500 watt should suffice for running a 3 card setup) and get double bang for your buck on power costs.

Keep in mind the 790x isn't the only card being sold for this. The hd7950 is still the sweet spot. It gets over 600 hash rate can be found around 400 dollars. So with that you can get much higher rates per mining system than you could with the Nvidia chips.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 am

Gandolf wrote:
Keep in mind the 790x isn't the only card being sold for this. The hd7950 is still the sweet spot. It gets over 600 hash rate can be found around 400 dollars. So with that you can get much higher rates per mining system than you could with the Nvidia chips.

You still would be better off with two 750Ti's judging by the graphs above.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Gandolf wrote:

You still would be better off with two 750Ti's judging by the graphs above.

Nope. Since most people mine with multiple set ups not a single or dual card system. they get a motherboard that can handle 6 cards and run that.
And to match 6 hd7950s in a single board set up.
Which would have 1 cpu 1 motherboard and 2 PSUS. 1 stick of ram
you would need 15 of the 750tis.
Which would require 3 motherboards 3 cpus, around 5 psus, 3 memory sticks.

Dr_b_
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Tough argument now but the article is forward looking, when the high end Maxwell parts come out on the new process node. Fewer, more powerful cards, and the efficiency story becomes much more compelling without the volumes.

The Egg

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Would these damn cryptocurrencies just crash already? Just crash.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Gandolf wrote:
Nope. Since most people mine with multiple set ups not a single or dual card system. they get a motherboard that can handle 6 cards and run that.
And to match 6 hd7950s in a single board set up.
Which would have 1 cpu 1 motherboard and 2 PSUS. 1 stick of ram
you would need 15 of the 750tis.
Which would require 3 motherboards 3 cpus, around 5 psus, 3 memory sticks.

PCI expansion chassis work great for stuff like this. Especially when they aren't bandwidth-bound, you can turn 1 X16 slot into 16 X1 slots...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.