Swiching betwin iGUP and dGPU on Z87 (but without VirtuMVP)?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Swiching betwin iGUP and dGPU on Z87 (but without VirtuMVP)?

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 am

Hello everybody!

I'm in process of building new PC, so I need some advices and bit of clarification.
I have searched thru forum and other sites, but didn't find acceptable answer.
I have i5 4670K and because of financial reasons, I'm buying components in stages. So I plan to buy Asus Z87-A or maybe Z97-A if price difference isn't to big. I have GTX 560Ti from old build. So, after this intro to state my problem: Is it possible to plug monitor on iGPU connectors to get picture thru it, but when I run game, that dGPU take over rendering? Something similar to VirtuMVP, but without it?

Sorry for my "Engrish" & thanks in advane :)
MakiMcPwner
Gerbil In Training
Silver subscriber

Re: Swiching betwin iGUP and dGPU on Z87 (but without VirtuM

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 am

My Asus P8Z77 V has VirtuMVP, i'm sure later boards should have it also?
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 am

I don't know that there is, and you have to pay for new versions of Virtu last I knew although maybe the new version is still bundled with motherboards. The only reason to do this is power consumption though, which is a fine goal, but even the 560 Ti power consumption isn't all that high on the desktop - something like ~15W for the card itself.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 8:01 am

MadManOriginal wrote:I don't know that there is, and you have to pay for new versions of Virtu last I knew although maybe the new version is still bundled with motherboards. The only reason to do this is power consumption though, which is a fine goal, but even the 560 Ti power consumption isn't all that high on the desktop - something like ~15W for the card itself.

Well you also may want to use the iGPU for its Quicksync capabilities and in Windows that requires Virtu if you want to also have a dedicated card and don't want to have a monitor hooked up and part of your desktop.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 am

I have a Z87 board and a Geforce GTX 760. It is possible to run both IGP and dGPU at once. I did have difficulty forcing the dGPU output to be the 'Primary' display, although I didn't play around too much with it and currently have the IGP headless. If you're after Quicksync, it's possible to force the IGP to run in Monitor Properties even without a display connected, although I understand that has some quirks (like icons and mouse pointer potentially running off the screen space and getting lost in the virtual desktop).

So admittedly my experience is quite limited, just wanted to say that it is possible. Anyone here have more knowledge/experience for this setup?
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am

1) I had bad experiences with VirtuMVP. Installed, it would crash games that ran fine with it disabled, nonexistent game updates/validation. I uninstalled it because it wasn't worth the headache.
2) Here's a thought, if your monitor has 2 inputs, run one input from the IGP and one from the dGPU. I would think (with hotswap/detection capabilities) that simply switching the selected input on the monitor would make the computer think you unplugged the cable from the dGPU and plugged it into the IGP. (haven't tried this personally, but it should work in theory?)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Samsung SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Hand-Built Wood Case
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 11:44 am

DPete27 wrote: 2) Here's a thought, if your monitor has 2 inputs, run one input from the IGP and one from the dGPU. I would think (with hotswap/detection capabilities) that simply switching the selected input on the monitor would make the computer think you unplugged the cable from the dGPU and plugged it into the IGP. (haven't tried this personally, but it should work in theory?)

I have 4 inputs on monitor (Dell FTW!), so that is interesting idea :)
MakiMcPwner
Gerbil In Training
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Are you doing this just to "save" power? What's the end-goal?

Even if you have the display off, the card will be idle. It's not going to be like the card isn't installed at all (GCN AMD graphics cards with ZeroCore get very close in "display off" conditions, but you're only talking about 15W "idle" power draw from the 560Ti). See here for some power consumption comparisons. Most 2D desktop uses can be considered "idle" work, while gaming would be the "full load" category. As you can see, the difference between "idle" and "display off" (monitor input switched to the IGP here) are minimal/negligible for your card. You also have to consider that the IGP will now be running. (I would imagine Intel CPUs can completely gate off the IGP if it's not being used)

TLDR; If saving power is your motivation for this thread, even though switching the input on your monitor is easy, it probably won't save much power over just leaving the dGPU plugged in. If you have a Power Meter I'd be interested to know how much it actually saves though. Look to turn off a 60W light bulb somewhere in the house/apartment that doesn't need to be on while you're using your computer instead.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Samsung SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Hand-Built Wood Case
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Well, saving power isn't my primary goal, quitter operation is. Plus, I would use QuickSync quite often for media transcoding and playback. My guess is that QuickSync consume less power than GTX 560 Ti for that case scenario.

Edit:
I just found this test Haswell Decoding and Rendering Benchmarks and it's quite interesting. QuickSync uses more power in most scenarios :o Regardless, I would still like to use it for transcoding work.
Last edited by MakiMcPwner on Fri May 09, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MakiMcPwner
Gerbil In Training
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 2:54 pm

It seems that Virtu is largely relegated to MSI in post-7 series boards.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T
TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri May 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Deanjo wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:I don't know that there is, and you have to pay for new versions of Virtu last I knew although maybe the new version is still bundled with motherboards. The only reason to do this is power consumption though, which is a fine goal, but even the 560 Ti power consumption isn't all that high on the desktop - something like ~15W for the card itself.

Well you also may want to use the iGPU for its Quicksync capabilities and in Windows that requires Virtu if you want to also have a dedicated card and don't want to have a monitor hooked up and part of your desktop.

As someone else stated, you no longer need Virtu for Quiksync. Just install both video drivers and you're good to go, the encoding program just needs to be set to use the IGP. As long as you're not using XP, installing multiple video card drivers won't cause issues. When this was announced I recall you being part of the front page discussion and recommending some encoding programs to do this. ;)
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Graphics