AMD: Interview on Project FreeSync

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

AMD: Interview on Project FreeSync

Postposted on Wed May 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I thought you may find this interview with Robert Hallock interesting.

Personally, and as a gamer :), I'm looking forward to Project FreeSync and will be ready to buy a new monitor in 2015
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative
Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Re: AMD: Interview on Project FreeSync

Postposted on Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Robert Hallock wrote: Project FreeSync will utilize DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable dynamic refresh rates for video playback, gaming and power-saving scenarios. The AMD Radeon R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming. AMD APUs codenamed Kaveri, Kabini, Temash, Beema and Mullins also feature the necessary hardware capabilities. All products must be connected to a display that supports DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

We’ll allow users to toggle Project FreeSync in the driver. Operating system support will initially be brought to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

We expect Project FreeSync-ready monitors to be available in retail within 6-12 months.
DisplayPort 1.2a: http://techreport.com/news/26451/adapti ... yport-spec
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm

The engineering timeline of the Radeon R9 and R7 Series, which feature Project FreeSync-compatible display controllers, establishes that FreeSync predates G-Sync by a healthy margin.

Now where have I heard that before...

...which means frame presentation to the user will never be delayed or impaired by time-consuming two-way handshakes.

Admittedly, that comes from the response to "does FreeSync use triple-buffering", but I don't recall G-Sync needing a two-way handshake. IIRC, the GPU pushed the new frame out to the display, at which point the monitor displayed it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm excited about G-Sync, and probably would have bought a unit when they became available, but I recognize that G-Sync is an inelegant hardware solution to a complicated problem. The whole point behind the custom scaler chip was due to how current monitors behave: there is no allowance for variable refresh rates in the hardware. FreeSync-on-that-demo-laptop worked due to how the GPU was (basically) directly connected to / driving the display (eDP?), and could alter its refresh rate accordingly.

Either way, this is a great technological development. As opposed to 3D HDTVs, I think variable refresh rate televisions will be a big deal. Watch "The Hobbit" in your home at 48fps? Awesome!

I too eagerly await the updated monitors :)
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, IGP (waiting on Big Maxwell), ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm nearly ready to get a new monitor as well but I am still hoping OLED will show up sometime this century.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 12:54 am

Robert Hallock? Isn't he the guy who likes to do sexy and exciting things? :D
The three pillars of my digital life: AMD FX-8350, Google Nexus 7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro), Intel Core i5-2450M
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 6:45 am

I wonder if those fancy strobing tricks will work with adaptive sync. A lot of people swear by them now and I can't imagine it being too terribly difficult (with the right support). Still, I'm guessing they're going to be mutually exclusive when FreeSync monitors come out anyway.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Return to Graphics