Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Well so I've been looking for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor, and found some interesting choices:

Acer V196L bmd
Contrast Ratio: 100,000,000:1
Brightness: 250cd/m²
Viewing Angles: 170°/160°
Response Time: 5ms
Refresh Rate: 75Hz
DVI: Yes :)
Speakers: Yes :(
Price: US $143

Dell E1913s
Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
Brightness: 250cd/m²
Viewing Angles: 170°/160°
Response Time: 5ms
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
DVI: No :(
Speakers: No :)
Price: US $189.99

Dell P1914s
Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
Brightness: 250cd/m²
Viewing Angles: 178°/178°
Response Time: 8ms
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
DVI: Yes :)
Speakers: No :)
Price: US $249.99

Well now, the summary.

(1) this is a general-purpose monitor for my desk; from working to browsing to watching movie to gaming. However, gaming is the main factor, so image quality is the most important consideration. I don't think I'll really need high image quality for MS Word anyway.

(2) my video card has DVI-only output, so I guess I have to stick with monitors with DVI input, otherwise the IQ will degrade. But still, how much does DVI to VGA conversion degrade IQ, compared to other factors?

(3) built-in speakers is actually a minus; it only adds unnecessary weight.

(4) the Acer model boasts outrageous contrast ratio (100,000,000:1), while both Dell models rate themselves much more modestly (1,000:1). Still, how much can we trust such published contrast ratio? See, I've been impressed by the clarity of Dell monitors even before the era of LED backlight, while I haven't seen any Acer that impresses me. Does the Acer's contrast ratio really mean something, or does it mean crap?

(5) how come the Dell P1914s - which is newer and more expensive than the E1913s - have slower response time? Or maybe the difference between 8 ms and 5 ms doesn't really matter?

(6) any other suggestions? Probably something from Samsung or LG?

Many thanks,
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:05 am

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(1) this is a general-purpose monitor for my desk; from working to browsing to watching movie to gaming. However, gaming is the main factor, so image quality is the most important consideration. I don't think I'll really need high image quality for MS Word anyway.
The "image quality" that you speak of for gaming is fundamentally contradictory to the regular image quality that people associate with for photo/video editing, publication, etc. Are your criteria to be minimal ghosting and input lag, or do you really need true 8-bit colours with smooth gradients instead of dithered banding? You are stepping into the classic TN vs IPS debate.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(2) my video card has DVI-only output, so I guess I have to stick with monitors with DVI input, otherwise the IQ will degrade. But still, how much does DVI to VGA conversion degrade IQ, compared to other factors?
I have been buying Dell exclusively for the past 10 years (except one Asus) and they always have both VGA and DVI. Any modern video card should have DVI. It is time to not think about VGA anymore.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(4) the Acer model boasts outrageous contrast ratio (100,000,000:1), while both Dell models rate themselves much more modestly (1,000:1). Still, how much can we trust such published contrast ratio? See, I've been impressed by the clarity of Dell monitors even before the era of LED backlight, while I haven't seen any Acer that impresses me. Does the Acer's contrast ratio really mean something, or does it mean crap?
Consider the numbers useless. Go by your own eyes, and I think you have your answer already.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(5) how come the Dell P1914s - which is newer and more expensive than the E1913s - have slower response time? Or maybe the difference between 8 ms and 5 ms doesn't really matter?
TN panels are usually cheaper, with poor viewing angles (that gave it away). I also would not trust the response time numbers as truth too. But TN is a bit faster, whether that bothers you or not, unfortunately no one can 100% tell you but yourself, while trying a few of your favourite games. Some claim they can live with 8-12ms of typical IPS panels, some claim they can see ghosting no matter what. It seems to be highly dependent on the individual.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(6) any other suggestions? Probably something from Samsung or LG?
They are actual panel makers themselves so the quality should not be too bad. I stick with Dell Ultrasharps for so many years because of the ok image quality (I value colour accuracy over response time myself), regular deals and the long warranty. Besides, the Dell's usually ship with all the cables. A lot of those other brands (I think LG is an example) have DVI ports but they only include the VGA cable.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(1) this is a general-purpose monitor for my desk; from working to browsing to watching movie to gaming. However, gaming is the main factor, so image quality is the most important consideration. I don't think I'll really need high image quality for MS Word anyway.
The "image quality" that you speak of for gaming is fundamentally contradictory to the regular image quality that people associate with for photo/video editing, publication, etc. Are your criteria to be minimal ghosting and input lag, or do you really need true 8-bit colours with smooth gradients instead of dithered banding? You are stepping into the classic TN vs IPS debate.

Sorry, I have to make myself clearer: what I mean by "image quality for gaming" is crispier color possible for games. The games I'm going to play with this monitor are old games anyway. The video card I'll be using is GeForce GTX 285, which is plenty fast for old games, so I don't think lagging will be quite a problem. Besides, first-person shooter is the last thing I'm going to play with this monitor. The games will be mostly flight sims, RPG, and strategy.

Flying Fox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(2) my video card has DVI-only output, so I guess I have to stick with monitors with DVI input, otherwise the IQ will degrade. But still, how much does DVI to VGA conversion degrade IQ, compared to other factors?
I have been buying Dell exclusively for the past 10 years (except one Asus) and they always have both VGA and DVI. Any modern video card should have DVI. It is time to not think about VGA anymore.

Unfortunately, the E1913s doesn't have VGA connector, so I think I'll go for the P1914s instead.

Although the GTX 285 has DVI-I connectors instead of DVI-D.

Flying Fox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(4) the Acer model boasts outrageous contrast ratio (100,000,000:1), while both Dell models rate themselves much more modestly (1,000:1). Still, how much can we trust such published contrast ratio? See, I've been impressed by the clarity of Dell monitors even before the era of LED backlight, while I haven't seen any Acer that impresses me. Does the Acer's contrast ratio really mean something, or does it mean crap?
Consider the numbers useless. Go by your own eyes, and I think you have your answer already.

Got it, thanks for the hint.


Flying Fox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(5) how come the Dell P1914s - which is newer and more expensive than the E1913s - have slower response time? Or maybe the difference between 8 ms and 5 ms doesn't really matter?
TN panels are usually cheaper, with poor viewing angles (that gave it away). I also would not trust the response time numbers as truth too. But TN is a bit faster, whether that bothers you or not, unfortunately no one can 100% tell you but yourself, while trying a few of your favourite games. Some claim they can live with 8-12ms of typical IPS panels, some claim they can see ghosting no matter what. It seems to be highly dependent on the individual.

Fortunately I can live with ghosting. Drab colors is not something I can live with, however.

Flying Fox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:(6) any other suggestions? Probably something from Samsung or LG?
They are actual panel makers themselves so the quality should not be too bad. I stick with Dell Ultrasharps for so many years because of the ok image quality (I value colour accuracy over response time myself), regular deals and the long warranty. Besides, the Dell's usually ship with all the cables. A lot of those other brands (I think LG is an example) have DVI ports but they only include the VGA cable.

I see, thanks.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:05 am

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Well I do not know why you are wanting to get or use a 19" monitor for your primary gaming monitor ?? But if that is what you want to use then out of the 3 you put up there I would go for the ACER monitor all the way just because it has a 75hrtz refresh rate. That 75 FPS will look a good bit smoother then the 60FPS the 60hrtz monitors do.

I used to think running vsync was for dummies but it turned out I was the dummy not using it. With my Nvidia card when using Vsync my power consumption and heat output drops by 50-60% with my SLI 4GB GTX 770 classified cards in BF3 at 1080p and 60hrtz since they are not running BTTW or as fast as they can producing 150+ fps on ultra with maximum AA and AF forced in the Nvidia CTRL panel when the monitor can only show 60FPS. Anyway I wish i could overclock my monitor to 75hrtz but the 55" 1080p plasma TV will not allow that :( I think I got the TV to run over 60hrtz at 720p but that res for a computer is yukkie.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I wouldn't purchase a 1280*1024 monitor new nowadays - you can probably get one for $30/£20 like I did second hand from an office clear-our or similar. Heck the other day I got a really nice Dell 2007FPb (1600*1200 @ 20") for £40. It's flawless and a really nice panel.
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V | nVidia GTX780 | 32gb DDR3| 2x SSDs 2x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM
Mentawl
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:45 pm

I gotta ask, why that particular size and aspect ratio? That's an outdated and defunct panel size these days. You can get 23" widescreens with a standard 1080p resolution for $150-200 all day long. Just seems a bit bizarre that you would specifically want that.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I've used mostly ViewSonic and LG monitors for the last ten years, and haven't had issues with any of them. DVI connections are still pretty common, so you shouldn't have problems finding one with at least one DVI input.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:50 pm

The Egg wrote:I gotta ask, why that particular size and aspect ratio? That's an outdated and defunct panel size these days. You can get 23" widescreens with a standard 1080p resolution for $150-200 all day long. Just seems a bit bizarre that you would specifically want that.

vargis14 wrote:Well I do not know why you are wanting to get or use a 19" monitor for your primary gaming monitor ??

Desktop real estate. It's not my primary gaming system, by the way.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:05 am

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:53 pm


Thank you. Does NEC make good monitors? I mean, Dell I already knew, but Acer seems doubtful.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:05 am

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Thank you. Does NEC make good monitors? I mean, Dell I already knew, but Acer seems doubtful.



I haven't used an NEC since the CRT days, but they used to be phenomenal.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:17 pm

+1 for a second-hand, pivoting 1600x1200 monitor. You can use it in portrait mode if desktop space is really tight, and you still have 1200 horizontal pixels. Besides, they all have IPS or PVA panels so colour reproduction should be what you're looking for. NEC and Eizo still sell expensive pro monitors and they are likely based on same type 1600x1200 panels.

Dell 2007FP, HP LP2065, Samsung 204T and Samsung 214T (21,3") should all be cheap these days. HP has a DVI input, Samsungs have both DVI and VGA.
Wirko
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:38 am
Location: Central Europe

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Love my 19" LG Flatron, it's old but the perfect operating monitor. 1280x1024 is just right for that. The 30" beastie I have just run games, vids and photo editing, the big 2560x1600 IPS panel kills there.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: BC Canada

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 pm

(5) how come the Dell P1914s - which is newer and more expensive than the E1913s - have slower response time? Or maybe the difference between 8 ms and 5 ms doesn't really matter?
As already stated, different panel technology-- that Dell is possibly a PVA or MVA panel. It could be IPS or PLS as well.

Panels without response time compensation (RTC) tend to end up spec'ing a 5ms response time for TN panels and somewhere between 8ms and 16ms for other panel types. And as others noted, rated response time is usually only for one transition type (usually white to black to white, or grey to grey; see TFTCentral), other transitions are often significantly slower-- while old, Xbitlabs reviews usually include a nice matrix of actual measured response times.

And yeah, why not 20" 4:3 1600x1200? :)
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:42 am
Location: California

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:31 am

At first I thought this was the work of a thread necro - 19" 5:4 displays sounds like something from several years ago :)

I don't think there are any good-quality 5:4 screens still being made - all the technological progress has been put into 16:9 panels. A Dell ultrasharp is usually a safe bet if you can find a new one listed as old stock, but have you considered a modern 16:9 screen with a rotating stand that lets you work in portrait and game in landscape?
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Personally I would go with a dell 19" I'm using two of em right now and they work just fine. They are my secondary screens next to my 24" asus widescreen. 1280x1024 looks just fine and works really well on a tilt stand so you can read website in landscape.

I'm actually looking for two more cheap ones for my kids computers.
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 am
Location: Big Rapids, Mich. (Est Time Zone)

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:09 pm

continuum wrote:Panels without response time compensation (RTC) tend to end up spec'ing a 5ms response time for TN panels and somewhere between 8ms and 16ms for other panel types.


Keep in mind that RTC (or variants) improve realized pixel response by adding input lag, whereby the input electronics analyze the input signal to smooth out pixel transitions. Input lag -> death.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4992
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Reccommendations for 19", 5:4, 1280x1024 monitor?

Postposted on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:07 pm

My favorite monitor of all time is the Asus VB198t-p. I use it for gaming at 75hz and everything looks great with no tearing. The res is 1280x1024 so it's high enough to look good but low enough that I can run everything on max and still get great framerates.
Soapiestpenguin
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 pm


Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LovermanOwens and 6 guests