GPU Fan won't spin up

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

GPU Fan won't spin up

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:23 am

I was working on a system upgrade yesterday and everything seems to be going fine with the new CPU/MB. I've even been able to overclock the system but I have an issue with dedicated GPU.

What happens is when I power it up (GTX 650 TI OC from MSI) the fan starts to spin and then stops. It never actually spins whether in the BIOS or Windows. I've tried upgrading drivers, moving the GPU from the main PCI 3.0 slot to the secondary PCI 2.0 slot, tried using the 6 pin power cable and the 6+2 pin power cable without any luck. So I'm stuck as to why the card works (I was even able to start a benchmark but quickly quit the GPU benchmark as the temps climbed into the high 80s) but the GPU fan won't keep spinning. The fact that it tries to spin makes me think the fan should still be working.

I don't think it's ESD as I was careful to ground myself to the case and I spent a hell of a lot more time with the MB (MSI Z97 PC Mate) and the CPU (Pentium G3258) than I did with the video card.

So I'm looking for suggestions as right now I'm running off the IGP (thanks Intel.)
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Re: GPU Fan won't spin up

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:27 am

nanoflower wrote:I was working on a system upgrade yesterday and everything seems to be going fine with the new CPU/MB. I've even been able to overclock the system but I have an issue with dedicated GPU.

What happens is when I power it up (GTX 650 TI OC from MSI) the fan starts to spin and then stops. It never actually spins whether in the BIOS or Windows. I've tried upgrading drivers, moving the GPU from the main PCI 3.0 slot to the secondary PCI 2.0 slot, tried using the 6 pin power cable and the 6+2 pin power cable without any luck. So I'm stuck as to why the card works (I was even able to start a benchmark but quickly quit the GPU benchmark as the temps climbed into the high 80s) but the GPU fan won't keep spinning. The fact that it tries to spin makes me think the fan should still be working.

I don't think it's ESD as I was careful to ground myself to the case and I spent a hell of a lot more time with the MB (MSI Z97 PC Mate) and the CPU (Pentium G3258) than I did with the video card.

So I'm looking for suggestions as right now I'm running off the IGP (thanks Intel.)

Can't use an Overdrive/MSI Afterburner to set the Fans to a higher speed? My 7950 defaulted to 30%, and I could barely hear it. Cranking it up to 65% makes it audible.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:00 am

Does the fan turn freely if you poke it with your finger? Could be one of the blades is deformed and is jamming it. Could also just be a faulty fan. If it's not spinning at all and you can't see anything obviously jamming it, I'd phone up and get it replaced.
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V | nVidia GTX780 | 32gb DDR3| 2x SSDs 2x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM
Mentawl
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:34 pm

It spins fine whether I spin it by hand or use compressed air. So it isn't jamming against something. The fact that it actually starts to spin is what confuses me. I would expect a faulty fan to not spin at all.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:39 pm

nanoflower wrote:It spins fine whether I spin it by hand or use compressed air. So it isn't jamming against something. The fact that it actually starts to spin is what confuses me. I would expect a faulty fan to not spin at all.

Trying increasing the fan speed in MSI Afterburner. See if that will force the fan to spin faster. If that doesn't help, I'd try to RMA it to MSI. could be a FUBAR bearing.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 am

Increasing the fan speed in Afterburner would only help if the fan was turning. Since it isn't Afterburner doesn't help.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:35 am

nanoflower wrote:Increasing the fan speed in Afterburner would only help if the fan was turning. Since it isn't Afterburner doesn't help.

My advice would be to RMA the card, but if you still want to play around and you are ready to take the risk, than try updating the VGA BIOS may be ?
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 am

RMA is the alternative I'll be taking this week. I was just hoping someone might have a suggestion that would help me revive it without taking that route as it will likely take a few weeks.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 am

nanoflower wrote:RMA is the alternative I'll be taking this week. I was just hoping someone might have a suggestion that would help me revive it without taking that route as it will likely take a few weeks.

In that case, if you know how to update VGA bios you can try that.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Return to Graphics