graphics card

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 am

Hello,

I don't know much so I'm coming to the experts for advice. I bought this pair
GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W

and I'm looking for a graphics card that is better than the onboard video but nothing pricey. I'm not a gamer but I do use two 24" monitors. I watch a lot of youtube or webinars that usually run the whole day and sometimes both monitors are watching separate vids at the same so I need something that decodes fast. I want to cap the price at $75 (or $100 if it's a good deal).

I'm asking here because I don't want to replace the onboard video with a card that is worst.

Current PSU is 750 watts but will be dropped to 600-500 watts. This PSU was a backup.

Thanks for all your inputs.
(had to edit the post because just found out I can't post URL to the egg)
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 am

Have you tried the onboard video (IGP) from the CPU and determined that it was insufficient? Given your uses, it should be just fine.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 am

I have to agree - for those uses the Intel IGP will be plenty capable. Though you might have to check your BIOS settings and make sure it has enough memory allocated.

If you use it and decide it isn't, you'd probably want an R7 240 or a GeForce GT 730 - you ought to be able to find those for within your price range. Also, if you're buying a new power supply, even 500W would be overkill with a setup like that. You'd be perfectly fine with 300W or less, as long as it's from a decent brand.
deruberhanyok
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 am

I would look for something used. Say a GTX460 or 560 Ti.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 am

Looks like a fellow Gerbil is selling a GTX 560ti for $80 shipped in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=94406
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:54 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:I have to agree - for those uses the Intel IGP will be plenty capable. Though you might have to check your BIOS settings and make sure it has enough memory allocated.

If you use it and decide it isn't, you'd probably want an R7 240 or a GeForce GT 730 - you ought to be able to find those for within your price range. Also, if you're buying a new power supply, even 500W would be overkill with a setup like that. You'd be perfectly fine with 300W or less, as long as it's from a decent brand.

That's great. I can look for a 400-500 watt CPU instead. The reason I'm looking for a separate video card is that the video sometimes gets a hiccup. Also thanks for suggesting the memory allocation in the BIOS. I forgot about that till now and that could be the problem.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:46 am

The i3-4130 has Intel HD graphics 4400 so should do what you want without a additional GPU.

But I would suggest upping your price range just a tad and look at the GTX 750. The GTX 750 can be found for around $110. It has a low power draw so should work fine with a 400W PSU in your system.

You say you don't game but if you ever want to game the 750 can run most of today's games in 1080p on mid to low settings.
Khali
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 am

Khali wrote:The i3-4130 has Intel HD graphics 4400 so should do what you want without a additional GPU.

[...]

Thanks for that suggestion as well. The box right now is being tested on using a single monitor. According to Gigabytes web site, this board is able to run 3 monitors at the same time using the integrated graphics which surprised me and sealed the deal for this build at that time. Within the next week or two it will be switched over to two monitors and see how it flies or fries. The stock cooler likely needs to be changed to after market because the fan can be heard spinning hard by the afternoon. Memory is currently at 4 and as someone mentioned above that I need to allocate memory for the video so this will likely need to be increased. Thinking no more than 8 because I've decided that eventually this build will be using a separate card in the future.

The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes. But for now I'll run using it using the integrated graphics since this technology is current and several have mentioned that this is more than enough for what I need.

The ideas that have come from here have been great. Keep em coming and thank you.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes. But for now I'll run using it using the integrated graphics since this technology is current and several have mentioned that this is more than enough for what I need.

Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:31 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes.

I'd strongly suggest you read this article/review on Haswell for HTPC use
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.

I think you're right but hoping it isn't so. Nothing against you. Just saying... I hope the hiccups disappear after some tweaks. If not then I'll just have to accept it.

Zalman CNPS9500A LED just came in and this sucker is huge and the egg is FAST on free shipping. Already regretting getting this thing. Looks complicated and having another LED lighting up inside the computer makes me one morose cat.

Ok, a question. If I bump the system ram to 8 gigs then should I use 1 gig or 2 gigs for the video? I should have played with it before but didn't so not sure what to expect in the BIOS. Thanks ahead of time for all replies.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I think the max I've seen BIOS settings for it is 1GB, which should be plenty enough frame buffer to drive your displays.
deruberhanyok
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 pm

ThatStupidCat wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.

I think you're right but hoping it isn't so. Nothing against you. Just saying... I hope the hiccups disappear after some tweaks. If not then I'll just have to accept it.

Zalman CNPS9500A LED just came in and this sucker is huge and the egg is FAST on free shipping. Already regretting getting this thing. Looks complicated and having another LED lighting up inside the computer makes me one morose cat.

Ok, a question. If I bump the system ram to 8 gigs then should I use 1 gig or 2 gigs for the video? I should have played with it before but didn't so not sure what to expect in the BIOS. Thanks ahead of time for all replies.

Set DVMT to max and forget about it. Let the driver figure out how memory it needs. It probably will never be anywhere near a gig, as largely it will only be used as a framebuffer.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion on the RAM. Will do that.

Installed the Zalman this weekend. Was not happy that it rocked left to right when clamping down the bar and was afraid the thermal paste got spread uneven so installed the temp monitor. My fault really because I didn't pull the motherboard out of the case. Currently breaking in the thermal compound with an all day webinar on a single monitor. All weekend the temp stayed 24C and this morning it had a brief spike to 32C. Now it's running stable at 25C-26C. Very pleased because the main reason for this build was to drop the temperature coming out of the exhaust.

As I write this I am a bit concerned. The DRAM voltage is 1.668. It wasn't running at the rated 1866Mhz so I upped it but I do know XMP is not enabled. Will it be better to enable XMP and let the system figure it out or is the 1.668V safe? I think this should be 1.5V. This is a Crucial brand with tall fins that is no longer sold by the egg.

As usual, thank you for all the replies.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am

Just finished a quick read on XMP and I definitely need to turn this on.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Looks like I won't be adding a graphics card to this thing after all. Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.

The hiccups disappeared once the RAM was running at 1866 vs 1333. The thermal paste looks broken in and today the temp was running at a steady 22-23C. RAM on bios was dropped to 1333 then XMP was enabled and this boosted the RAM up to 1866. The voltage is still showing 1.668 and holding steady so I guess I'll just leave it there. I was hoping it would drop to 1.5V. System is stable so I'm not gonna complain.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil

Return to Graphics