graphics card

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 am

Hello,

I don't know much so I'm coming to the experts for advice. I bought this pair
GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-4130 Haswell Dual-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 54W

and I'm looking for a graphics card that is better than the onboard video but nothing pricey. I'm not a gamer but I do use two 24" monitors. I watch a lot of youtube or webinars that usually run the whole day and sometimes both monitors are watching separate vids at the same so I need something that decodes fast. I want to cap the price at $75 (or $100 if it's a good deal).

I'm asking here because I don't want to replace the onboard video with a card that is worst.

Current PSU is 750 watts but will be dropped to 600-500 watts. This PSU was a backup.

Thanks for all your inputs.
(had to edit the post because just found out I can't post URL to the egg)
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 am

Have you tried the onboard video (IGP) from the CPU and determined that it was insufficient? Given your uses, it should be just fine.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Samsung SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Hand-Built Wood Case
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 am

I have to agree - for those uses the Intel IGP will be plenty capable. Though you might have to check your BIOS settings and make sure it has enough memory allocated.

If you use it and decide it isn't, you'd probably want an R7 240 or a GeForce GT 730 - you ought to be able to find those for within your price range. Also, if you're buying a new power supply, even 500W would be overkill with a setup like that. You'd be perfectly fine with 300W or less, as long as it's from a decent brand.
deruberhanyok
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:30 am

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 am

I would look for something used. Say a GTX460 or 560 Ti.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 am

Looks like a fellow Gerbil is selling a GTX 560ti for $80 shipped in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=94406
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1638mhz
GTX 970 @ 1465 | BenQ 24" 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB | 2x2TB Toshiba | Win 8.1 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:54 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:I have to agree - for those uses the Intel IGP will be plenty capable. Though you might have to check your BIOS settings and make sure it has enough memory allocated.

If you use it and decide it isn't, you'd probably want an R7 240 or a GeForce GT 730 - you ought to be able to find those for within your price range. Also, if you're buying a new power supply, even 500W would be overkill with a setup like that. You'd be perfectly fine with 300W or less, as long as it's from a decent brand.


That's great. I can look for a 400-500 watt CPU instead. The reason I'm looking for a separate video card is that the video sometimes gets a hiccup. Also thanks for suggesting the memory allocation in the BIOS. I forgot about that till now and that could be the problem.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:46 am

The i3-4130 has Intel HD graphics 4400 so should do what you want without a additional GPU.

But I would suggest upping your price range just a tad and look at the GTX 750. The GTX 750 can be found for around $110. It has a low power draw so should work fine with a 400W PSU in your system.

You say you don't game but if you ever want to game the 750 can run most of today's games in 1080p on mid to low settings.
Khali
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 am

Khali wrote:The i3-4130 has Intel HD graphics 4400 so should do what you want without a additional GPU.

[...]


Thanks for that suggestion as well. The box right now is being tested on using a single monitor. According to Gigabytes web site, this board is able to run 3 monitors at the same time using the integrated graphics which surprised me and sealed the deal for this build at that time. Within the next week or two it will be switched over to two monitors and see how it flies or fries. The stock cooler likely needs to be changed to after market because the fan can be heard spinning hard by the afternoon. Memory is currently at 4 and as someone mentioned above that I need to allocate memory for the video so this will likely need to be increased. Thinking no more than 8 because I've decided that eventually this build will be using a separate card in the future.

The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes. But for now I'll run using it using the integrated graphics since this technology is current and several have mentioned that this is more than enough for what I need.

The ideas that have come from here have been great. Keep em coming and thank you.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes. But for now I'll run using it using the integrated graphics since this technology is current and several have mentioned that this is more than enough for what I need.

Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24584
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:31 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:The real big reason for looking for a separate card is that I want something that can decode video as fast as possible (without breaking the budget) and be able to be replaced as video technology changes.

I'd strongly suggest you read this article/review on Haswell for HTPC use
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Samsung SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Hand-Built Wood Case
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.


I think you're right but hoping it isn't so. Nothing against you. Just saying... I hope the hiccups disappear after some tweaks. If not then I'll just have to accept it.

Zalman CNPS9500A LED just came in and this sucker is huge and the egg is FAST on free shipping. Already regretting getting this thing. Looks complicated and having another LED lighting up inside the computer makes me one morose cat.

Ok, a question. If I bump the system ram to 8 gigs then should I use 1 gig or 2 gigs for the video? I should have played with it before but didn't so not sure what to expect in the BIOS. Thanks ahead of time for all replies.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I think the max I've seen BIOS settings for it is 1GB, which should be plenty enough frame buffer to drive your displays.
deruberhanyok
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:30 am

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 pm

ThatStupidCat wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:Those web-based videos may be doing Flash (which is evil) or may be you are hitting browser bugs that end up not doing GPU acceleration. That may be the reason you are seeing hiccups. Not much you can do about that.


I think you're right but hoping it isn't so. Nothing against you. Just saying... I hope the hiccups disappear after some tweaks. If not then I'll just have to accept it.

Zalman CNPS9500A LED just came in and this sucker is huge and the egg is FAST on free shipping. Already regretting getting this thing. Looks complicated and having another LED lighting up inside the computer makes me one morose cat.

Ok, a question. If I bump the system ram to 8 gigs then should I use 1 gig or 2 gigs for the video? I should have played with it before but didn't so not sure what to expect in the BIOS. Thanks ahead of time for all replies.


Set DVMT to max and forget about it. Let the driver figure out how memory it needs. It probably will never be anywhere near a gig, as largely it will only be used as a framebuffer.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion on the RAM. Will do that.

Installed the Zalman this weekend. Was not happy that it rocked left to right when clamping down the bar and was afraid the thermal paste got spread uneven so installed the temp monitor. My fault really because I didn't pull the motherboard out of the case. Currently breaking in the thermal compound with an all day webinar on a single monitor. All weekend the temp stayed 24C and this morning it had a brief spike to 32C. Now it's running stable at 25C-26C. Very pleased because the main reason for this build was to drop the temperature coming out of the exhaust.

As I write this I am a bit concerned. The DRAM voltage is 1.668. It wasn't running at the rated 1866Mhz so I upped it but I do know XMP is not enabled. Will it be better to enable XMP and let the system figure it out or is the 1.668V safe? I think this should be 1.5V. This is a Crucial brand with tall fins that is no longer sold by the egg.

As usual, thank you for all the replies.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am

Just finished a quick read on XMP and I definitely need to turn this on.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Looks like I won't be adding a graphics card to this thing after all. Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.

The hiccups disappeared once the RAM was running at 1866 vs 1333. The thermal paste looks broken in and today the temp was running at a steady 22-23C. RAM on bios was dropped to 1333 then XMP was enabled and this boosted the RAM up to 1866. The voltage is still showing 1.668 and holding steady so I guess I'll just leave it there. I was hoping it would drop to 1.5V. System is stable so I'm not gonna complain.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Well, it's that time of the year and I wonder what anyone's thoughts on this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161461 currently priced at $99.99 with a $20 rebate.

I wish it was just $80 and without the games and no rebate but it is what it is. I've had bad luck with HIS rebates and as a result I've avoided them for a very long time. No other options this time around though. Other suggestions are welcome.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I don't believe that you should spend $100 -20MIR on a Radeon R7-260X 1GiB (previously known as HD7790). It's just not enough of an upgrade from your integrated graphics to make it a good value. Radeon R9-270(X) 2GiB (formerly known as HD7870 GHz Ed.) provides much better gaming performance for only $130 -30MIR.

Radeon R9-280 3GiB (formerly known as HD7950 Boost) is a smoking hot deal at $160 -30MIR.

Get the Radeon R9-280. Play games. Have fun.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15602
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Are you definitely a non-gamer?

I can't see any reason to buy a graphics card unless you're gaming or using OpenCL-enabled applications like video encoders or Adobe CC2014 suite. That being said, OMG the R9 280 is the bargain of the moment for any kind of 3D power.
I hear rig lists are all the rage, and I <3 the rage! Workstation = Black tower thing; HTPC = Shhhh!; Laptop - AMAZING FOLDING PC!
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2178
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Yeah, for non-gaming or GPU compute I don't see the point of a discrete graphics card. If the integrated is limited in terms of multi-monitor support, I'd look for a passively cooled card.
meerkt
Gerbil
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:41 pm

I have to say when it comes to performance per dollar nothing can touch the R9 280 3GB card right now...amazing amount of card for the money.

They must have a big stockpile of chips that could not make the 280x specs or something.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:44 pm

This computer is used mainly for webinars (runs 8-10 hrs each weekday), watching some online movies, looking things up, and tweetdeck but I plan on playing Witcher 3 in the spring. The first four usually happening at the same time during weekdays. Now that you've asked the questions, it led me to think of what new vid cards might come out and make prices drop some more. I no longer plan on being the first adopter of Witcher 3 and will wait to see how others review it. So it might be May before I order Witcher 3. Wow, that's at least 6 months away. Thanks for the inputs and questions because now I want to think this over. Anyone that has bought technology knows how fast things can change and I've paid for my fair share of barely used things before they became obsolete.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox

Re: graphics card

Postposted on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm so glad I asked questions here. I did some more research on Saturday and found out the 2GB version of the 260x uses the Bonaire chip but this is a 1GB version and uses the Curacao running at 1000 MHz. These GPU companies have owned me with all their rebrandingfor for so long. Not this time. I didn't get any GPU this time around and will wait for when I need it.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.
ThatStupidCat
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:18 am
Location: your litterbox


Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests