Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC3 Driver for Windows OS out now

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello everyone,

The Catalyst 14.7 Release Candidate 3 Driver for Windows OS is out now, click here to visit the site and to download it.

As with earlier versions, please use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs and make sure to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections to learn more about this driver.
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC3 Driver for Windows OS out now

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Cool.

Panda 2015 seems to think it's infected though.

(Yes, I know it's hellishly unlikely.)
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:15 pm

I wonder if there is any more hidden differences from the patch-notes between 14.7 RC and RC3. I've had problems with both bluescreens with the rc and the Mantle hangs is still there from the 14.4.

Put in bug reports about it, and also reports for the BF4 CTE environment since the Mantle hang is obviously some form of game dependent thing involved.
Weird thing, during a Mantle hang today, it seemed to have really borked my comp, the hang actually corrupted my windows install so I had to do a system repair. The shell32 among others.

LostCat

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Aphasia wrote:
I wonder if there is any more hidden differences from the patch-notes between 14.7 RC and RC3. I've had problems with both bluescreens with the rc and the Mantle hangs is still there from the 14.4.

Put in bug reports about it, and also reports for the BF4 CTE environment since the Mantle hang is obviously some form of game dependent thing involved.
Weird thing, during a Mantle hang today, it seemed to have really borked my comp, the hang actually corrupted my windows install so I had to do a system repair. The shell32 among others.

That would be very unlikely to be related to any graphics API at all.
Meow.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I've had issues since upgrading recently -my R9 280X cards in crossfire flicker, especially in 2D.

I've tried 14.4 and now 14.7RC3, no fixes. Reloaded Windows 7 from scratch in the event it was a driver issue; didn't fix it.

Just opened a support case with XFX in the event it's a BIOS issue.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:53 pm

I still dont get whats going on at AMD .. 150 MB for a control panel ?
Who in hell need 150 meg of code to write a panel that show sliders and buttons ?!

This is sending the wrong message...

And please, remove the Trojan "Gaming evolved" from your driver.. its an HORROR that I should not be forced to install.

That junk + the control panel is 200MB.. what a waste :(

LostCat

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:00 pm

sschaem wrote:
And please, remove the Trojan "Gaming evolved" from your driver.. its an HORROR that I should not be forced to install.

Here's a hint:

You're not forced to install it.

You're not alone in thinking it shouldn't be in the express option, though.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Savyg wrote:
That would be very unlikely to be related to any graphics API at all.

Which part's, the hangs, which are verified to be Mantle since it's closer to the metal and only happens during Mantle usage, or the corruption of the shell.

Potentially, any really hard hang with files open can have a chance to corrupt things if stuff ends badly, say a hard reset during a cache flushing to disk, etc.
So in some part it was because it hanged at that instant, but I doubt it was the graphics API that caused the corruption, rather the hang at that particular instant during which something else happened.

LostCat

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Which part's, the hangs, which are verified to be Mantle since it's closer to the metal and only happens during Mantle usage, or the corruption of the shell.

Potentially, any really hard hang with files open can have a chance to corrupt things if stuff ends badly, say a hard reset during a cache flushing to disk, etc.
So in some part it was because it hanged at that instant, but I doubt it was the graphics API that caused the corruption, rather the hang at that particular instant during which something else happened.

You say it was verified to be Mantle then you doubt it was the graphics API...ok. More likely hardware related than software.

And files can't get corrupted just from being open. Probably a defrag was running when it hung.
Torn Writes
In NTFS the file system overwrites metadata and data structures during a modify operation. During this modify operation data is read off the disk and then new data is written on top of the old data, becoming the new data. Torn writes occur when this process can’t complete fully. Think about what could happen if a power failure occurred during the write operation.

(Just a small bit from http://theithollow.com/2014/01/microsof ... stem-refs/ which is otherwise mostly irrelevant to the conversation at hand.)
Meow.

toki
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 pm

lol. I just updated my graphics driver because of this thread. I had not updated in quite a bit.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:13 am

Savyg - maybe you should read again.

I said that the hangs are verified to be Mantle, thus graphics API related. Because you know, Mantle is the graphics API. I didn't say that the corruption was verified related.

And I didn't say it was due to files only being open, if you read the rest of the sentence, I wrote cache flush, as in, files in cache being written to disk, i.e. being written. So the hang was probably a coincidence due to hang with files being written. The opposite of that is to say, Mantle corrupts windows, with would be wrong, because that sure as hell can't be verified at this time. As for defrag, um no, you do realize that defrag is automatically disabled for SSD's running under windows, right...

As for hardware, if you have a system that has a good track record, install a beta driver and start running a new graphics API and the application suddenly starts hanging with display corruption, despite the same hardware working perfecty under the DX, then you have two options. The Driver, the graphics API, The application, Hardware.
* Any fault in the hardware should have a chance to show themselves during other API's unless parts of the hardware are actually specifically built only to be used with Mantle. If that's the case, AMD has issues with the R290x line, doubtfull.
* Drivers/Application, both seem to work just fine using the same application driver in directx mode. It's only when using the Mantle related part there is any problem. Now, it is VERIFIED to e mantle related, but if the problem is the application implementation, the driver implementation of it, that is something I can't even begin to look at without debugging builds of both, something only the dev's has access to.

LostCat

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:11 am

Aphasia wrote:
you do realize that defrag is automatically disabled for SSD's running under windows, right...

Since the rest of that is still making assumptions I don't feel like getting into

I've had SSDs where defrag wasn't automatically disabled. And protected Windows files wouldn't be written or in cache to be written while the system is active...that one was part of the Windows updates in win8 just now IIRC, which makes this weirder.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Still running on Win 7 here though. My thought is that the hang coincided with the windows updates that came out, so the updates were done during playing, but the hung came before reboot. Oh well, a reboot and repair back to last restore point and another reboot and the computer works fine again. I'm surprised how well the system protection actually are when you need em. I remember good old XP basically requiring a reformat if something jacked up really badly with it, not to mention the older OS'es like 2000, NT4 and NT3.51.

LostCat

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Still running on Win 7 here though. My thought is that the hang coincided with the windows updates that came out, so the updates were done during playing, but the hung came before reboot. Oh well, a reboot and repair back to last restore point and another reboot and the computer works fine again. I'm surprised how well the system protection actually are when you need em. I remember good old XP basically requiring a reformat if something jacked up really badly with it, not to mention the older OS'es like 2000, NT4 and NT3.51.

Sorry if I'm bein' a bitch I've been irritated at some friends of mine lately.

Heh. I shut up now.

(I will add that I find it hard to use 'good' and 'XP' in the same sentence.)
Meow.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
I've had issues since upgrading recently -my R9 280X cards in crossfire flicker, especially in 2D.

I've tried 14.4 and now 14.7RC3, no fixes. Reloaded Windows 7 from scratch in the event it was a driver issue; didn't fix it.

Just opened a support case with XFX in the event it's a BIOS issue.

Hello LoneWolf15,

Could you please use the Issue Reporting Form I mentioned in my original post? That way we're covering both ends. Also, have you contacted our technical support team? Here is the contact information:

Technical Support Phone Numbers for North America - United States & Canada:

Tel: 877-284-1566 (Toll Free)
FirePro, FireGL and FireMV Support by Telephone: 866-284-2093 (Toll Free – English only)
Monday - Friday: 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

AMD Global Customer Care Technical Support and Contact Page:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact

Customer Care Email Submission Form:
http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/

I hope the above helps you and please feel free to send me a PM if you need additional help.
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Savyg wrote:
sschaem wrote:

Here's a hint:

Thank you both for your feedback. I will look into this for you...
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Savyg wrote:
sschaem wrote:

Here's a hint:

Thank you both for your feedback. I will look into this for you...

Hello again,

I'm pretty sure you may already know, but I just wanted to get back to you.
If you choose to run a custom setup of the driver, you can uncheck the Gaming Evolved App. If the App is already installed, then the option to deselect Raptr will be disabled. In such case, you should first uninstall Raptr/Gaming Evolved from add/remove programs app and then run the custom setup option.
Sam

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am

sorry to necro the thread, but ever since I installed the RC3 drivers, I've had no less than 15 BSOD, and all report the offending module as atikmpag (or something like that). I'll use the reporting tool when I get some free time later (prepping for a cert exam tomorrrow, and am super stressed ATM).

Just figured I'd give you heads up.

BTW, it only occurs when using Firefox. Never while playing a game, or using GNS3, Oracle Virtualbox, DOSBox, or ScummVM.

*EDIT*

went ahead and filled out the survey. Hope some good comes of it!

*EDIT 2*

Is there anyway to rollback to a previous rev of the driver? Oh, and add me to the list that HATES that damned RAPTR gaming evolved garbage. Constantly wants to update on almost a daily basis. Wish I'd known I could've avoided installing it. :/

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Hz so good - Try turning of HW-acceleration in Firefox.

I've had problems with BSOD's in chrome watching youtube clips. A few specific clips had a 100% chance to bluescreen. Turned off hardware acceleration and boom, no bluescreens, turned it on again, bluescreen. Send in bug reports on it as well. Probably something faulty in the codec and hw accel.

Funnily enough, I Always have Chrome started on my secondary screen, but I don't use chrome for battlefield. But since I turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome, I haven't had a single one of those annoying Mantle hangs either. Been running like that for a week no, and as far as I know, no BF4 patches either. My guess is that for some reason, chrome HW-accel leaked resources until they entered the same range as BF4 was using and BAM.

So try that for Firefox as well...
Options -> Advanced -> Browsing -> Use HW Accell where available.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Worth a shot! Thanks! :)

Now if Mozilla and/or Adobe could do something about the "the flash container has failed" errors I sometimes get, I'd be golden. :)

CeeGee
Gerbil

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm

I have also had a few BSOD's on my PC (running an R9 290) and all have been while using Firefox to watch youtube videos. I'm using the 14.4 official driver and it has never happened while using Chrome (or any other software). I don't own any Mantle games yet so I don't have anything to add about that sorry.

I have no idea if it's a Firefox or a driver bug but it's kind of comforting to see I'm not the only person suffering. Perhaps Warsam will see our posts and mention it to AMD.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 am

I had crashes while watching videos in Firefox with my Radeon R9-290 a month and a half ago. The set of updates before this one seems to have fixed it for me.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I had crashes while watching videos in Firefox with my Radeon R9-290 a month and a half ago. The set of updates before this one seems to have fixed it for me.

Turning off HW accel in Firefox, like Aphasia said, seems to have fixed it for me. *knock on wood*

I'd still like to know what atikmpag (or whatever that module is called) does, and why it kept BSODing with Firefox... I doubt we'll get an answer, but it would be nice if Warsam71 would chime in about it.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Hope it stays like that then. It has for me so far so I'm hoping that as well.

As for the files... according to one site, atikmpag.sys are the multi-vendor miniport driver, and atikdag.sys are main driver file. Probably why they are seen in the bsod stack traces. The thing I get from the minidumps are usually iexplore or chrome, I don't use firefox much, then a read memory error one some operations. Although since I don't have the symbols for the atikmpag.sys I don't see what operation it performed in the captured stack.

If I would hazard a guess it's either some exception caused by a memory leak, or faulty memory access that gives the bsods. Now if that is because ati's driver, or a bad decoder implementation that doesn't go well with the driver I have no idea. But somebody testing and replicating the fault with a debugger should be able to pick it out fairy easily as long as they can replicate it reliably.

Another thing that hinted me to it, not on specific clips was that when opening too many clips at once in Chrome would first stutter, then bluescreen it. I tend to work so that I go through my subscription, opening todays clips in new tabs and then go through and pause them. All quite memory hungry after they load. After 15-20 tabs, depending on the clips, it would sometimes hang badly.,

JAE - I first found it on my setup in 14.4 - with some videos. Upgraded to 14.6 betas, solved it for those videos, but found new one. That said, I'm also using HTML 5 video in chrome on youtube.
CeeGee - It was a few very specific videos. I watch probably a hundred clips a week, and I think I've found something like 3 or 4 clips in total since 14.4 came out that has that effect.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I'll be more than happy to look into the atikmpag and atikdag files for you. It will take me a few days or so since I may have to ask multiple teams (just setting your expectations :) )...either way, I will keep you posted. And please, feel free to send me a PM or post here again if you don't hear from me by mid next week (I hope it's okay).
Sam

SuperSpy

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:21 pm

That sounds like a frightening new type of exploit in the works, if the codec is buggy enough to cause the driver to crash, there's more than a passing chance a properly-malformed video could become a remote-execution exploit, being that it's in kernel land (hence the BSOD) that would allow complete access to the computer bypassing all security.

Does Windows support the NX bit in kernel mode code?
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'll be more than happy to look into the atikmpag and atikdag files for you. It will take me a few days or so since I may have to ask multiple teams (just setting your expectations :) )...either way, I will keep you posted. And please, feel free to send me a PM or post here again if you don't hear from me by mid next week (I hope it's okay).

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! I'm not used to reps actually responding. Thanks very much, kind sir! :)

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:58 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
That sounds like a frightening new type of exploit in the works, if the codec is buggy enough to cause the driver to crash, there's more than a passing chance a properly-malformed video could become a remote-execution exploit, being that it's in kernel land (hence the BSOD) that would allow complete access to the computer bypassing all security.

Does Windows support the NX bit in kernel mode code?

It could easily be an issue on Mozilla or Adobes end. That damned flash container crashes A LOT. I update both very often, and it *still* keeps happening.

And I'm really getting tired of certain websites whose scripts hang, and force me to just kill the damned browser process, and restart without reopening that page. *looking at YOU DailyMail.co.uk!!!*

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Scriptsafe and html5 in chrome is a good reason, not that much flash from youtube with that.

Superspy - Not nearly something new, flash, plugins and java applets are a menace that should be buried, deep, deep, down in a black hole. The point of an exploit though is, can it make the one crafting the exploit something usefull, or just enable a form of DDOS, which is bad enough. Although, just because the drivers is in a kernel land, doesn't mean that the applications can get access to it, although a badly written application can allow for credential essential if it runs in a higher authority mode.

Pholostan
Gerbil

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 am

BSOD when using flash in Firefox is not new for me, I've had them ever since I got my 290 this spring. I've heard of people submitting official support tickets with AMD over this issue, so they know about it. Whenever they actually do anything about it is anyones guess. Telling people to go back to 13.12 driver and disable HW accel seems to be their solution. Not good enough.
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.