How to replace fans on MSI 560 ti Twin Frozr

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

How to replace fans on MSI 560 ti Twin Frozr

Postposted on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:50 am

Hi guys,

I recently ordered replacement fans for my MSI 560ti Twin Frozr, but I have no idea how to install them. The two fans appear to be connected, so it seems they have to be placed into the card together, but I can't figure out how. Is there some way to remove the top shell of the card? I know there are 3 tiny screws that hold down each fan, but those do not provide access underneath the shell to where the fans actually plug into the card.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I'd really prefer to avoid splicing if I can manage it.

Thanks,
-Ari
kythlyn
Gerbil

Re: How to replace fans on MSI 560 ti Twin Frozr

Postposted on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 am

AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Dell ST24 | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU | MX518 | Win 7 Home SP1 | Sennheiser HD 280 PRO |
SoM
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:48 am

Hmm... I looked through those threads and that video, but it didn't really help me understand how to replace the fans in my specific video cards. I guess I'm basically asking, how do I disassemble the MSI 560 ti to the point that I can just plug the new fans in? Is that even possible?
kythlyn
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:56 am

The shroud looks to be attached to the heatsink via 4 rivets or screws. Looks like the fans come spliced together. If the shroud is screwed to the heatsink, it shouldn't be hard remove it so you can get everything neatly tucked in.
Pictures of Card
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Any way you could point out which screws you are talking about? Is the "shroud" the silver upper shell with the MSI and Twin Frozr II text on it?
kythlyn
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:00 pm

I had this exact card. It was a nice card but the fans are of horrible quality. Mine made clicking and grinding noises after less than a year of ownership. It didn't do it so much when it was warm, but I live in a cold climate and the fans would grind and whine for 10 minutes after boot-up in the winter.

Last year I sold the card on eBay for a decent price (with full disclosure of its fan problem) and replaced it with an eVGA Geforce GTX 660 with an nvidia reference cooler. I have an 8800GTX with the original nvidia reference cooler from 2006 and it still works fine after 4 years of solid use in media\gaming PC, so I trust the longevity of nvidia's "blower" style coolers much more than the dual fan designs other companies are putting out.

My advice: Just sell the card and upgrade, especially if its a 1Gb card like mine was. It is a nice card, but you'll be fussing with the fan until you eventually do get rid of it because nothing will make it last longer. I've also read reports of the fans dying completely, which could end up damaging the card or at least crippling it due to heat. A 750 ti 2Gb or 660 2Gb will last you longer. I'd jump ship now before something gets broken or the replacement fan decides to wear out in 6 months. You can always sell it with the replacement fan which will boost the value substantially.

In answer to your original question though: It is a pain to take apart. Its been a while since I attempted but I pretty much had to figure it out on my own as there weren't any good instructions available online. It is both prone to failure and not designed to be repaired... some bad design choices for an otherwise well engineered air cooler.
ozzuneoj
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:41 am

At this point I'm already invested in repairing this card. My other 560 ti somehow qualified for an RMA, so I can get back and running with an SLI setup (that can hold me over until the 800 series are out) if I can figure out how to install the replacement fans which I already purchased.
kythlyn
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Just thought I'd report in...

SUCCESS!

I decided to stop worrying and just go for it... took the 4 screws off the bottom of the card and the entire circuit board was easily removed. From there, I was able to remove additional screws that I could not access before and remove the shell that goes over the fans. Then I was able to replace the fans, put everything back together, and now I'm back up and running!

Thanks everyone!
kythlyn
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:08 pm

kythlyn wrote:I decided to stop worrying and just go for it.

The only way to learn how to put it back together is to take it apart.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 pm

To the OP: Where did you get the replacement fans? Are they better than the original ones? I have the same card and it's also making horrible noises on startup and I'm afraid it's out of warranty.
Jing
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:42 pm

I got my replacement fans on eBay! Was less than $20 shipped. Model number of the fans is PLD08010S12HH. I can't say whether or not they are "better" than the stock fans were when new, but they are certainly getting the job done, and silently.
kythlyn
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 am

kythlyn wrote:Any way you could point out which screws you are talking about? Is the "shroud" the silver upper shell with the MSI and Twin Frozr II text on it?

Sorry I didn't explain in more detail. The removal of the shroud looked pretty logical to me just given the pictures in the article I linked (screws for the shroud are on the bent around tabs and the screw heads appeared to be on the PCB side, hence needing to remove the entire heatsink to gain access to them). Good to hear you got everything taken care of. Enjoy!
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

No problem, your advice still helped me along. Much appreciated, everyone!
kythlyn
Gerbil

Return to Graphics