Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Calendar Software

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:42 am

Looking for something equivalent to the calendar in Outlook so I can keep track of birthdays, etc. And it will give you a few days notice and spam you so you don't forget.

Anything out there like that?

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Calendar Software

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Looking for something equivalent to the calendar in Outlook....

Not really sure what you mean by that? Anyway, does Google Calendar not appeal to you?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 pm

If you move to the Mozilla Thunderbird ecosystem the Lightning calendar app works just fine.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 pm

I use Thunderbird with Lightning for my calendar as well. Works well, provides the features you describe, and syncs perfectly with Google Calendar as well.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Can google calendar, and thunderbird with Lightning calendar be set up with out an email address?

bjm
Gerbil

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 pm

There is also Outlook.com. It has a built-in Calendar and you can have it send you email notifications at your intended interval to any email address that you register.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:19 pm

bjm wrote:
There is also Outlook.com. It has a built-in Calendar and you can have it send you email notifications at your intended interval to any email address that you register.

Thanks, however I would prefer something that doesn't require internet connection and runs in the background, and provides a notice/pop-up/reminder.

edit - anyone ever use something along these lines?

http://download.cnet.com/Efficient-Remi ... 21373.html

http://download.cnet.com/Desktop-Remind ... 73460.html

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:39 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
bjm wrote:

Thanks, however I would prefer something that doesn't require internet connection and runs in the background, and provides a notice/pop-up/reminder.

Get a Mac and use Calendar. :wink:

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Deanjo wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
bjm wrote:

Get a Mac and use Calendar. :wink:

lol Could get a few outlooks and install them on every PC also. Budget constraints wife's stuff > everyone else's stuff. I'm working with wooden nickels here ;)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:49 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Can google calendar, and thunderbird with Lightning calendar be set up with out an email address?

Google Calendar, no - I'm pretty sure that, if you have an account for any Google service, you're going to have that account name as a Gmail address, even if you never use it.

Thunderbird with the Lightning calendar plugin, yes - sort of. Lightning can't be installed as a standalone, it's only available as a plugin to the Thunderbird mail client. Thunderbird requires you to set up at least one mail account when you run it for the first time, but there's nothing stopping you from putting in dummy information. Then just tell it to never check for mail, and you'll never be bothered with any error messages. Lightning requires no Internet connection whatsoever; you can connect it to a calendar server, but it's perfectly happy just running locally.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Perhaps I'm missing the major point here but..... Do you not have a smart phone? Even if it is offline Android has a built in calendar with reminders/alarms which you can set to re-occur on a yearly basis.... its how I don't forget birthdays. If you NEED it to be on a computer then that may be a different matter.

Perhaps this is what you need?

I've also used a web offering called Asana but its more meant for teams.... Also I think Evernote has a calendar/reminder function. The nice thing about Evernote is that have a version of their software for every single freaking operating system known to man, and it syncs between all of them. I think you can use it in offline mode and whichever machine you place the event on will be only on that as you can create me events that are not shared or synced.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Welch wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing the major point here but..... Do you not have a smart phone? Even if it is offline Android has a built in calendar with reminders/alarms which you can set to re-occur on a yearly basis.... its how I don't forget birthdays. If you NEED it to be on a computer then that may be a different matter.

Perhaps this is what you need?

I've also used a web offering called Asana but its more meant for teams.... Also I think Evernote has a calendar/reminder function. The nice thing about Evernote is that have a version of their software for every single freaking operating system known to man, and it syncs between all of them. I think you can use it in offline mode and whichever machine you place the event on will be only on that as you can create me events that are not shared or synced.

Nope no smart phone and no gmail account either, therefore no google calendar.

"Perhaps this is what you need?
http://download.cnet.com/Desktop-Remind ... 73460.html"

Yep looking at that, thanks!

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:18 am

I've used the Lightning plugin for Thunderbird in the past, and it seemed to be fairly decent. I'm usually remiss in keeping electronic calendars updated though. I prefer traditional paper and pen.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:09 pm

The Egg wrote:
I've used the Lightning plugin for Thunderbird in the past, and it seemed to be fairly decent. I'm usually remiss in keeping electronic calendars updated though. I prefer traditional paper and pen.

But wait... with the new Apple Apple Calendar Edition, the magic of a real calendar and availability of a digital have finally married one another in a union that will transcend time and scheduling for all eternity........

Sorry, in one of those obnoxious moods this morning.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x