Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

KODI vs. Emby. vs. Plex and more!

Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am

Hell, Damage's post on media center software replacement coincides with my recent efforts to prepare for a transition from 7MC. Since I ramble I figured I'd shift my thoughts here instead of pile them on in the article's comments section....

1. KODI - I'm slowly starting to warm up to KODI. What really helps is changing out from the awful default skin. I think this should be Step 2 on any new user's guide...(you know, if there were actual good, centralized new user documentation there--yes im bitter).

The biggest pluses for me are that it natively has handles every file format I've tossed at it, and its player feels lightweight and not bogged down. It also handles all of the soft-subs I've tossed at it without fuss (I've ripped most of my anime and foreign film collection for instance) and has no trouble trying to access my files on the NAS. A huge following means there are lot of add-ons, even fi they're not always well maintained--but browsing and installing addons from within the interface is also a plus.

Negatives? I have to get used to a new remote schema or find a good plugin to make my very usable MCE remote more feature-integrated. It's fine with me ripping single title Blu-Rays (i.e. movies) to folder structures...but it doesnt like me using folder structure for collected TV episodes. Seems like the best workaround is to re-encapsulate all my ripped episodes to MKV containers which is a lot of tedium work. Could use better default audio/subtitle controls.

2. Emby - Media Browser 2.x was a fantastic add-on to 7MC for me, giving a full, rich Movie and TV cataloging experience with lots of extra data, great cover and fan art, hosts of different layout possibilities (which expanded greatly with different skins using different layouts), that along with 3rd party media players (I only really needed BluRay Playing software) handled everything I threw at it with even less fuss than Kodi does (Media Browser seemed to LOVE folder-structure rips of my DVDs and Blu-Rays)

Emby (MB 3.x+ rebranded) seems to be trying to handle that and push it forward. It's promising, but it needs a little work for my taste.

Plusses: Seems to love all the media I throw at it. Seems to love folder-structure rips just fine with no need to baby it or hold hands. Fantastic media organizing capabilities using a web app. Plug in support, including one to launch steam in big picture mode. Support for multiple use profiles each with their own separate access to titles (throw the XXX media on the network then lock it away from guests, kids and the cat! :D). Support for plug in and skins. While it's moving to a server-client paradigm to push for streaming your library anywhere (minus in my book, but plusses for others), it does also support clients simply reaching through the server to grab at the files natively.

... i.e. why force the server to spend cycles transcoding, and then send pixelated, re-rendered video down to the client when my HTPC is sitting on my homes gigabit network and is powerful enough to play games over steam. Yeah, doesnt need to happen.

Minuses? Documentation is sh*t. Combines the worst experiences of lazy wiki centralization, "here's the way we think 80% of you will do things" attitude and a forum that intimidates new and casual members with "its in there somewhere" replies. So far seems to handle all my media formats just fine, but doesnt handle soft subs at all (and maybe im missing something, but lets go back to that point about documentation). Also, I really have no understanding of how to bring up the server management web app (no icons dropped in my desktop or start menu, no consistent system tray appearance, so I'm resorting to bookmarks since I didnt tie things to a centralized online account yet)--the documentation just assumes its always running. Did I mention the documentation sucks? As a geek, I'm ashamed to have stereotyped against my own kind, but this actually made me curse out "f****ng neckbeards" for the first through third times in my life when I discovered the original blocking issue I had with setting up my library in MB3 last year was easily solved by something I overlooked...and never mentioned in the promoted documentation/threads (I had to dig on down to the butt-end of a non-popular forum thread to find the realization of what I was doing wrong).

3. Plex - I want to like this. I love the concept. But I cant seem to right now.

Plusses: Steam everywhere if that's your thing. Other PCs. Tablets. Phones. Xbox. Huge buy-in for this too, with applications built for consoles, streaming boxes (roku, amazon Fire stick, etc). It looks like it's got some decent polish.

Minuses: I dont want to stream everywhere. I dont want to transcode at all--where as this model seems based around having to transcode. Emby gives me an option not to, but It doesnt look like Plex does. Have to setup a server for it (true for Emby too, but I have less issues running server and client on same PC for that than for plex). I moved all of my media off the HTPC and got a NAS just so that I would have more efficient, always on access to centralized media. Now you're telling me the ideal thing is to stick a PC on my network and leave it always on to serve up media? Bah!

While its big reach means that Synology has a native plex server app in its packages, it's barfing on even DVD quality material because the tiny little processor that is more than enough at handling 5 disks and a house-sized workload cant transcode fast enough. Also, its a picky eater. Everything it eats has to be single file format, so folder-rip structures are right out. It seems to only want MKVs too (perhaps not true, but it feels that way) which will be a royal hassle for my whole collection. But that's what the documentation suggests. Convert to MKVs, keep all your movies and episodes single file. Thats the way we're going to do it and we're not going to change. Great. It's not so much that I think they're stupid as I think they're extremely focused on a model that works for them. More power to them. It's just clear that what works for me is a different direction.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: KODI vs. Emby. vs. Plex and more!

Tue May 05, 2015 11:52 am

I'm a fan of Plex. I use it across Windows/Linux/iOS/OS X. I particularly like the fact that it remembers where I last viewed the video regardless of the device I am using. I'm currently hosting Plex server in an Ubuntu VM on my ESXi server. The video files are served from a Synology NAS.

wizardz
Gerbil

Tue May 05, 2015 11:58 am

i have been using plex for quite a while now at home. i use a vmware appliance called Tretflix which runs on my vmware host.

regarding the transcode option, it is my understanding that the client (endpoint) decides if the stream has to be transcoded or not based on the capability of the endpoint.

ie: from the builtin app in my samsung plasma, when i choose a movie i can either "direct play" or "direct stream". (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... ect-Stream)

i have always been selecting direct play as all my content is containerized in mkv's.

what i really like about plex is the ability to share content with family members (provided your internet uplink is fast enough)
i haven't really looked back since i installed it..

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 05, 2015 12:06 pm

wizardz wrote:
what i really like about plex is the ability to share content with family members (provided your internet uplink is fast enough)

I keep meaning to look into that. Does it require that you have a Plex account of some sort?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 05, 2015 12:08 pm

gbcrush wrote:
I dont want to transcode at all--where as this model seems based around having to transcode.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but Plex tries not to transcode whenever the playback device natively supports the format(container, video, audio). I can personally verify that this works at least some of the time.

Subtitles complicate that, but what you are saying isn't generally true.

gbcrush wrote:
I moved all of my media off the HTPC and got a NAS just so that I would have more efficient, always on access to centralized media. Now you're telling me the ideal thing is to stick a PC on my network and leave it always on to serve up media? Bah!

Well, if you have a client that's a full fledged computer (your HTPC), why not just run plex server on that with the NAS as your storage?

You don't need to "stick a PC on your network" when you already have one. If the HTPC is your only client, why not just have it be your server as well?

GodsMadClown
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 05, 2015 12:23 pm

gbcrush wrote:
I'm slowly starting to warm up to KODI. What really helps is changing out from the awful default skin.

what's a good skin? I run KODI at home on my NUC.

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm

gbcrush wrote:

1. KODI
Negatives? I have to get used to a new remote schema or find a good plugin to make my very usable MCE remote more feature-integrated. It's fine with me ripping single title Blu-Rays (i.e. movies) to folder structures...but it doesnt like me using folder structure for collected TV episodes. Seems like the best workaround is to re-encapsulate all my ripped episodes to MKV containers which is a lot of tedium work. Could use better default audio/subtitle controls.

I am currently using KODI on my main htpc, and installed it on another htpc for a friend. I do run it on top of Windows 8.1, with a large tile on the start screen.
For the MCE, I hacked the registry. There are some guides available which show how to do that. Another solution (I used it on the other htpc) is EventGhost.
check out this: http://kodi.wiki/view/Remote_controls/MCE
and this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=46595

I setup the windows button on the remote to go to the start menu. there I can start Kodi with the ok button as it is the first tile.
Oh and if you use it with windows I can recommend missinglink:
http://www.peaklabs.net/apps/missing-li ... rmissions/

About the movie/tv episodes, for each source you add to kodi, you can configure how it parses the files, if it looks for one video per folder/multiple videos per folder, if it has to parse sub directories, etc.
You have to be a little carefull with the naming of the video files though.
Also you can add an .nfo file in a folder to give it some directions, or give it a specific imdb link/title/genre whatever you want.

I have subtiltes mapped to a button on the remote with which I can switch between different , or no subs.

as for a skin recommendation, I use Aeon Nox, though I dont like the background, I like the ability to configure a lot of things :)

The next version of kodi promisses better audio/subtitle handling;)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm

(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm

GodsMadClown wrote:
gbcrush wrote:
I'm slowly starting to warm up to KODI. What really helps is changing out from the awful default skin.

what's a good skin? I run KODI at home on my NUC.

So far my favorite is Metropolis. Default Theme, Steam Punk Theme and the Pruple (violet?) theme are all great...and it still looks ok if you tweak the colors a bit here and there.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

wizardz
Gerbil

Tue May 05, 2015 2:31 pm

End User wrote:
wizardz wrote:

I keep meaning to look into that. Does it require that you have a Plex account of some sort?

yeah it requires a free account.

divide_by_zero
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Long time user of XPMCE, VMC, and 7MC with Media Browser (now Emby). Awesome front end, and the only thing I've seen that rivals XMBC/Kodi with how awesome things can look with the right themes and configuration.

As someone mentioned earlier though, their forums can be intimidating to newbs, and the Wikis are kind of a cluster. Though someone at the tech level of TR's readership likely wouldn't find this daunting, average users probably would.

I'm basically waiting to see how SiliconDust's Kickstarter DVR project pans out. If I'm eventually able to view recorded protected content on my server and playback from my XBone *and* have an Emby plugin for my ripped media, I think that will finally be a viable 7MC replacement. Until then, here's to hoping the guide data keeps being provided. :)