Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Ransomware Spreading Through Major Websites Via Infected Ad

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Compromised ad servers have been pushing out ransomware directly to unwitting users of many popular domains. As reported by Ars Technica (via MalwareBytes and others), whose story is heavily referenced here, the domain list contains a number of high traffic sites.

"It hit some of the biggest publishers in the business, including msn (.com), nytimes (.com), bbc (.com), aol (.com), my.xfinity (.com), nfl (.com), realtor (.com), theweathernetwork (.com), thehill (.com), and newsweek (.com). Affected networks included those owned by Google, AppNexis, AOL, and Rubicon."
Unfortunately, the story doesn't get better from here. The Ars report continues:

"The ads are also spreading on sites including answers (.com), zerohedge (.com), and infolinks (.com), according to SpiderLabs. Legitimate mainstream sites receive the malware from domain names that are associated with compromised ad networks. The most widely seen domain name in the current campaign is brentsmedia (.com)."

The ads have been traced back to multiple domains, including: trackmytraffic (.biz), talk915 (.pw), evangmedia (.com), and shangjiamedia (.com). The report continues:

"The SpiderLabs researchers speculate the people pushing the bad ads are on the lookout for expired domains containing the word "media" to capitalize on the reputation they may enjoy as a legitimate address."

The full article from Ars technica can be found here as well as the source link, and the cited Malware Bytes post can be found here.

So how did they do it? The banner ads themselves contained the malware, which could infect the viewers system undetected.

"When researchers deciphered the code, they discovered it enumerated a long list of security products and tools it avoided in an attempt to remain undetected.
'If the code doesn't find any of these programs, it continues with the flow and appends an iframe to the body of the html that leads to Angler EK [exploit kit] landing page,' SpiderLabs researchers Daniel Chechik, Simon Kenin, and Rami Kogan wrote. 'Upon successful exploitation, Angler infects the poor victim with both the Bedep trojan and the TeslaCrypt ransomware...' "

Of course it goes without saying that advertising online is a sticky issue. It can be intrusive, with ads blocking article text, or autoplay videos creating a cacophony of unwanted noise, somewhere amidst the many open tabs. Of course it can be done with class, respectful of the reader's experience (and I would use our own site as an example).

A large number of web users employ ad-blocking extensions to their browser, though it is often the case that ad revenue pays for the costs associated with keeping such sites online. This outbreak is a further blow to the current financial stability of many sites when news such as today's ransomware debacle hits the tech (and soon the mainstream) press.

Source: PCPerspective Arstechnica
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Ransomware Spreading Through Major Websites Via Infected

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Yeah, saw that yesterday. Crazy (and scary) stuff.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:31 pm

This explains an "invalid certificate" error I'm getting on stltoday.com - they need to do a better job of vetting their ads it seems. The certificate in question belonged to trackmytraffic.biz. Seems that Safari is rejecting it now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 pm

TR should consider removing or amending Rule #12, as the topic is becoming a matter of system security and should be able to be discussed at length. At this point, I don't think anyone on the TR forums is unaware that ad-blocking software exists.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm

It's true that Rule12 is getting a little outdated. Even people who don't have a clue about technology use ad blockers on their PC, phone, tablet etc. It's arguable that much of the web is actually becoming unusable without one.

The smart sites that realised this was going to happen as greedy advertising companies shot themselves in the foot switched to a ad-light, subscriber model. The "free internet" is not dying, but the stuff worth having is rapidly requiring you to pay for the privilege.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

The Egg

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 pm

The webmasters' anger and backlash should be 100% aimed at the ad-serving networks, and not their readers/viewers who are just trying to protect themselves.

LostCat

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Frankly I'd be concerned if I actually had a reason to be.

The report leaves out critical details, like if your software is still vulnerable if it's been updated.

As is, it reads more like an ad for an antivirus than an accurate information piece.
Meow.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm sure this is going to get locked but I'm in the mood to respond.

Sites need advertising income, therefore ads are part of the site. You go to the site, you accept the ads as part of it. It's technically a security risk, but so is just viewing a website even without ads. Getting hijacked by other means (wordpress vulnerabilities are a perfect example) still happens.

Secure your system, accept that stuff happens, move along.

I don't browse with ad blockers on any of my devices. I was in the same boat as you guys many many years ago and couldn't fathom browsing without a ad blocker but after TR's plea, and others during that same stretch of ad-blockers being a "thing", I stopped using them. I've survived this long. The world didn't end. I'm not even distracted by the vast majority of them.

When ads are a major source of infection then OK, TR and other sites will need to find other means to support their sites. We aren't there yet.

Classic example of wanting to implement change because of an outlier.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:14 pm

I still have TR white-listed for support in Ublock Origin. :D Am I taking a risk though is what I'm wondering?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:25 pm

biffzinker wrote:
I still have TR white-listed for support in Ublock Origin. :D Am I taking a risk though is what I'm wondering?

Yes. based on how 'ads' are sourced .. and how they are provided webmasters have ---000--- idea most of the time what ad from who will appear because it is all micro-bids literally per minute.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

The Egg

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Convert wrote:
I don't browse with ad blockers on any of my devices. I was in the same boat as you guys many many years ago and couldn't fathom browsing without a ad blocker but after TR's plea, and others during that same stretch of ad-blockers being a "thing", I stopped using them. I've survived this long. The world didn't end. I'm not even distracted by the vast majority of them.

When ads are a major source of infection then OK, TR and other sites will need to find other means to support their sites. We aren't there yet.

As others have mentioned, you can whitelist TR. You can also subscribe. For users who otherwise follow proper practices, malicious ads can be one of the largest risks for infection.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:54 pm

The Egg wrote:
Convert wrote:

As others have mentioned, you can whitelist TR. You can also subscribe. For users who otherwise follow proper practices, malicious ads can be one of the largest risks for infection.

It is our #2 source of infection for my customers, pretty much the same metric across our entire product line. *but* only by a middling 9% to the #1 source which is still unprotected shares, unprotected servers on corporate networks where the misnomer still exists that you do not install Av on NAS boxes, fileservers or web\exchange\virtual servers.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.