Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

ookii_dave
Gerbil
Topic Author

Weird internet problems acroos all browsers

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:03 pm

Hey, been having some weird problems with my internet lately - can ya guys help identify / fix it?

Recently, I've had some problems browsing some major websites. Cnet.com, download.con, ebay.com, polo.com, and niketown.com.
The websites would load, but pretty much any picture but the background pics would NOT load. Sometimes, when I type in a perfectly good url, I would end up being redirected to http://www.(original typed url here).org.

I initially thought it might be a spyware problem, but after running Spybot S&D and Adaware, the problem persisted.

Another weird thing about the problem is that my roommate, who uses the sames connection, does not have the problem. However, the people who lives in the dorm room across from mine do.

Does anyone have a solution / explanation? I even tried reformatting.

The problem's quite frustrating, please help!!!

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:05 pm

Sounds like two problems: some sort of domain name server problem and a browser problem. Try an alternative browser, such as firefox...

ookii_dave
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:08 pm

The problem persists across all browsers: IE, Netsccape, Mozilla, Firefox, SLimbrowser.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:13 pm

ookii_dave wrote:
The problem persists across all browsers: IE, Netsccape, Mozilla, Firefox, SLimbrowser.

Hmm, what browser is your roommate using?

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:23 pm

I assume you are using windows. Have you checked add/remove programs for anything unusual that could be adware?

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:55 pm

Sounds like you've got either a messed up HOSTS file, or, your box still has spyware that Adaware and spybot havent caught. Try downloading CWShredder (if the link doesn't work, do a google search).

http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

It catches a lot of stuff that Adaware and Spybot miss, including URL hijacker programs.

-E

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:07 am

also check the run folder to see if there is any programs that look suspicious.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition