Rarely/Never
7 (100%)

Total votes: 7

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

jpeg2000 and Paint Shop Pro

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:42 pm

I've just managed to find a half decent jpeg2000 plug in for paint shop pro, downloaded it for free (somehow completely legally! :-D) and I've decided the new format rules. Bring on critical mass ASAP :-D

So I was wondering, what do you guys all use the format for? I'm thinking of backing all my old digital camera pics up as jpg, then converting all the ones on my hard drive to jp2, as the file sizes are pretty teeny in comparison :-D

Anyone ever send people jp2s? I'm tempted, just for the penis-envy of it all :-D

Oh, and the other thing, why is Paint Shop Pro's default edge filter so undeniably naff?

I'm in the middle of making some image processing stuff in java, and one method finds the edges of red blood cells. Applying my knowledge, I came up with the following filter (centre zero reperesents centre zero on PSP grid):

-1 -2 1
-2 0 2
-1 2 1

So much better than the "find all edges" option.

</rant> :-D,
-Mole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:09 pm

I use The GIMP. I assumed it used the new standard all of the time when not enabling "force baseline jpeg."

It actually looks like JPEG-2000 is really only beneficial for only slightly compressed images. Here is a link to a comparison:

http://www.levien.com/gimp/jpeg2000/comparison.html

It's old, very old, in fact, but that was when the comparison was significant.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:56 pm

I stick with tired and true JPEG. JPEG2000 never seemed to catch on.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:14 pm

Wavelets are very cool. 5:1 lossless compression is nothing to sneeze at, and some of the lossy ratios are quite remarkable (as demonstrated at aware.com). I do wish this had more support in the wider software world (IE, for example, and Windows in general). It is supported in the latest Photoshop (CS), which is a good start; once the high-end cameras start implementing it (which may be a while, as I believe encoding is fairly CPU-intensive) it may take off.

Speaking of Photoshop, its Find Edges filter is considerably better than the matrix you mention, though I don't know how it stacks up relative to Paintshop Pro (probably better, though).

BTW, there appears to be an unmaintained source tree for a Java JPEG2000 implementation at http://jj2000.epfl.ch/

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:26 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Speaking of Photoshop, its Find Edges filter is considerably better than the matrix you mention, though I don't know how it stacks up relative to Paintshop Pro (probably better, though).

BTW, there appears to be an unmaintained source tree for a Java JPEG2000 implementation at http://jj2000.epfl.ch/

If I can improve on the find edges filter on PSP with that matrix, and the find edges one on Photoshop is better than that, I'd guess that the one on Photoshop kicks the ass of the one on PSP...

As for jp2's, ever tried doing 100:1 compression ratios on jpgs and jp2s? There's a HUGE difference! As in "one is about 4 colour, the other is artifacted, but still quite viewable...

I tend to receive jpg images from friends, so for a laugh I tend to encode them with max quality settings. To my eyes, the output tends to be 33% - 50% smaller with no noticeable reduction in image quality...

But that's only a casual inspection,
-Mole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem