Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

hmmm
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

"Document contains no data" error in Firefox. (So

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:40 pm

I've recently started getting this alert when browsing certain web pages with Firefox. I know the web sites are still up because they (dell.com, rottentomatoes.com, etc) work just fine on my laptop next to me. In IE, the same site fail to work. "The page cannot be displayed" is what IE says.

I've tried turning off my software firewall. I've tried flushing the DNS cache. I know DNS is working since I can ping those domain names. If I point IE/Firefox to the IP of the sites, I still get the error. The same thing happens on my desktop when I am at a friend's house. So I don't think it is my router, etc.

Firefox .92. IE 6 (fully updated). WinXP SP1A.

A Google search turned up a lots of hits, but I didn't see anything that applied to my issue (or at least that offered a solution). I've never seen anything like this before. I'm really at a loss.

My hosts file is clean. I've checked.

--------------------------

I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. I had set PeerGuardian to run hidden (no system tray icon) in the background. That was dumb of me. It was slightly more dumb, however, for its latest banlist to block rottentomatoes.com, dell.com, etc. At any rate, my problem was easily solved once I got my head out of my rear. Sorry to all of you who wasted time reading this. And thank you for trying to help me. I truly appreciate it. I'll show that gratitude by not being a complete fool in the future. (I think I'm probably getting the better end of that deal. :p )
Last edited by hmmm on Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fearless
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:53 pm

This really still sounds like a firewall issue. Like you're not geting out on port 80 (http).

Have you tried going to any site that uses something other than the default port number like http://171.64.122.121:8080 (this is one of the folding servers... I don't expect anything to come back, but I would expect you could reach it).

How about using a different protocol like ftp? Does that work?

If you were using a third party firewall, did your Windows firewall get turned on by mistake? Look at your network connections/advanced tab to check (if you didn't know).

Just some shots in the dark to try... I'm really not sure how to help you. :(

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:06 pm

I get this error too. It seems to happen a lot on the Google search page as well as gmail.

brainchild786
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:49 am

It has happened to me before as well on the Extreme OC Stats page but no where else. Only 2 or 3 times as well.
Easily Distracted Genius