Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

LuckyInKentucky
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Bittorent Problem, Please Help!

Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:14 pm

I need a few opinions of people who use bittorent on a regular basis. Maybe, together we can figure this one out.

I started using Azureus not to long ago as my GUI for torrent files. I switched from Torrentstorm, because I heard 'rave' reviews about Azureus.

For some unknown reason, after a long day of getting torrents, my internet connection is shot. After I stop the downloads I cannot get on the net for anything. I always have to call Bellsouth who is my DSL provider and have them reset my ports.

My download and upload speeds are excellent under normal usage. I get 2760 download and 364 upload. My service is rated at 3000 down and somewhere around 380 upload. I have had a technician out twice, and they cannot find anything wrong with my lines or my connection. Of course, this is after they have completely reset all ports and the tech stuff they do on their end.

I do not understand where I am going wrong. Are my torrents really hogging that many resources as to require a complete port reset?

I know it is in the lines, because I have completely shut down my PC for 10 minutes, and completely unplugged my modem. After rebooting I always get the same results. Cannot load pages or surf the net. I have gone as far as to try and surf the net with my laptop that doesnt even use bittorrent, and still the same result.

Please help if you can, I am about ready to ditch the whole torrent thing if it keeps it up.

nordo42
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:44 pm

Are you using Zone Alarm?
i've left the forum. if you're reading a "post deleted", sorry.

LuckyInKentucky
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Yeah, I'm using Zonealarm with Antivirus, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. My Programs and System aren't sluggish, just my internet connection. I think I may be overloading my alotted bandwidth from the ISP and causing their router to 'bottleneck' and 'clog' up or slow down. I will try 1 torrent at a time and see how that works. I will post my results.

nordo42
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:19 pm

did you follow the link I made? I posted about this a week or so ago, it could be the same problem.
i've left the forum. if you're reading a "post deleted", sorry.

LuckyInKentucky
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:49 pm

HHmm :-?

Not my exact issue, but one and the same. What did you do to resolve this issue? Is there anything that can be done?

By the way, I've been downloading torrents since my previous post, and have been doing it in moderaton without any issues. As a matter of fact, I am doing it as we speak. I am not having too many issues with it at this point.

But what if I get 'hungry' for more? I really don't want to just d'load 1 at a time. That kinda stinks.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:19 pm

There's an option in Azureus to tell it how many individual connections to use. IIRC, it defaults to 100, which is quite a lot. I tend to limit it to 24 or 32, and even that is quite a bit. Even though the actual transfer rate may be low, all the overhead of individual connections (or attemps) can bring your internet connection to its knees in terms of wasted bandwidth.