Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 am

I have stumbled onto a few more programs that have just made life easier in general. Some will cost you about 20-60 bucks one time fee, no yearly renewal, others are free with certain features disabled.

Unlocker
This utility makes life easier in that when you are trying to delete, remove, or shut down something that the system is using and get the "Unable to delete" error, this program bypasses that. Even when you have those extremely stubborn processes that just wont die, a feature to rename and move the file is always available. And if thats not enough you can always wipe out the big guns "Rename and Move or Delete on Startup". This make for one heck of a tool when combating your way through heavily infested hard drive territory.

Beyond Compare 2
This program I haven't began to use its full ability. This allows you in its most basic form to compare to folders side by side. You can "Sync" one side to the other. This is great for Data recovery/comparison. Its come especially in handy when a customer claims that certain files that were on his machine when he brought the PC in, have now disappeared. Merely mount the backup of his hard drive, Beyond Compare it, and Viola "MY FILES, THANK GOD THEY ARE STILL THERE" (You did make a backup right? More on a great program for that later :))

Acronis True Image 9.1
For true backup and imaging, I have found nothing better than Acronis. This utility has made backup not only practical but FUN! (OK, so I laid the cheesy sales pitch on a bit thick). Even though its not terribly exciting, it has become very easy and practical to even backup your home computer in the event that hardware failure or a virus toasts your file system. The program features the ability to do full backups or incremental backups. In the event you do a Full backup (Highly Advised) you are copying the whole file system, MBR, and OS folder hiearchy. Once imaged you are able to mount the saved partition as a logical drive letter temporarily and access it as if it were another psychical hard drive. Where the magic in this program comes out, is the ability to restore that imaged disk to a totally new drive, where it can either create a partition the same size of the original install OR extend into a larger than original partition. So you can take a 40gig HDD and put it on a 500gig with zero problems, it will run as though its the same drive but with the extra space under the same single partition. Pretty nifty huh? Its become one of my favorite tools considering you can get a perfect vanilla install of your favorite OS, image it, and if you ever wanted to reset, just write it back to the drive. The whole process takes no more than 10-20 minutes to image or restore a drive.

I hope these tools come in handy for whatever tasks you can find to put them too. Give me some of your feedback on these items and let me know how you like them or if you have any others that you deem worthy of replacing them.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Kevin
Administrator

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 am

As a moderation note, I've been junking posts and banning new users who post in this thread with links to programs on download sites. In my judgment, these posts are meant to drive traffic to these download sites (most of which I'd never heard of until they posted).

Kevin

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:45 am

Ccleaner - A really handy utility for getting rid of unused files on your system and cleaning up your registry.

I used it on a dummy system first to see if it was stable after letting it detect and remove all the stuff it found. Everything was fine.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:19 pm

I do believe that Ccleaner was previously listed, but a very good one to mention again Hoser :). I have been using it for some time now and it has yet to delete anything that effect any systems I have put it on. I even use it on customers machines, no problems yet.

The best feature about it is it cleaning the registry imo

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:03 pm

im not sure if these have already been mentioned, so if they have, this is me agreeing with them =p

Frostwire/Limewire: basically the same program. very easy to use. just make sure you have decent virus protection.

WMP 11: idk what the big gripe is about it. i love it. to me its very user friendly and it makes it very easy to organize all of my music. which there is a LOT of.

Trillian: awesome program. rolls all of your Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AIM, etc. instant messaging accounts into one really easy program.

Xfire: just plain great. no need to explain that one.

Ventrilo: its awesome once you understand it.

AVG Antivirus Suite: i used it back when it was still free. it worked great. cleaned up my laptop in a quick, orderly fasion without much hassle. im not sure how it does now though, now that it costs money.

McAfee Antivirus Suite: always loved their software. it works great.

CPU-Z: duh.

PC Wizard 2007: easy to use and gives pretty detailed benchies.

Mozilla Firefox: what can i say. Firefox is the greatest.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Kevin wrote:
As a moderation note, I've been junking posts and banning new users who post in this thread with links to programs on download sites. In my judgment, these posts are meant to drive traffic to these download sites (most of which I'd never heard of until they posted).

Kevin

Thanks.......I never really thought of that.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:45 pm

A program that I have recently found pretty useful (Actually, a suite of programs wrapped into one interface) is XPManager.

The program allows you to do all of your favorite tweaks and mods, all from a very easy to use interface. Note that there is a very large amount of stuff you can do with it, so its easy to get lost. The program features the ability to do a "One Button Optimization" usually I do not go for those sort of things, but it has yet to bone any system i've used that on, and it actually does make the system run better.

One of my favorite little features it allows you to activate hardware features that usually sit dormant on your NIC. Change MAC address right from the program, change MTU... all sorts of stuff.

I could spend all day telling you the various features but your better off checking it out yourself. Make sure you have .Net Framwork 2.0 or higher, the program requires it to run.

leefuji
Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:02 pm

1. Winrar - File Compression
2. Winamp - looooool
3. AcdSee - Picutre Organizer & Viewer
4. Picaview - Picture viewer option on any context menu

...........etc

:-)

Pcfreakske2000
Gerbil

Re: Must Have Programs!

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 pm

I recently found a good anti-malware utility aside the known anti-spyware applications.

The application that I found is called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it's freeware. If you don't use the real-time protection, that is.

There is an optional paid version as well.

Here is their homepage : http://www.malwarebytes.org
Greetings,

Pcfreakske2000

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Net Tools 5

Lots of neat little tools for ports and traffic

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:50 am

JK Defrag. Works great with a lot of options and it's free GNU.

http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

PRAudio
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 pm

I stumbled onto this thread while checking the forum out, and find the information very valuable. Thanks everyone! (I hope you don't mind a newbie posting to an old thread, but, there is such good info here... It deserves to "stick" around!)

I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but, I vastly prefer Foxit Reader over Adobe Reader. It is smaller, loads much faster, uses less memory, and leaves less clutter behind. It's especially great for older, less capable machines, but if you're borderline on performance with Vista, I find it a good choice there, too.

Also mostly for "non-primary" or older machines, I find the appropriate versions of WordViewer, ExcelViewer, and PowerPointViewer very useful.

CCleaner is another program mentioned earlier, that I have started using recently, and it has worked very well for me on several XP machines, so far.

IrfanView is very useful / highly recommended.

And, finally, I recently began using Audacity (be sure to find and use the FULL manual). I like it, but, be aware that at least as of my download in mid-December, 2008, the spectrum analyzer is NOT working correctly: White noise should NOT plot as flat on a logarithmic scale. This error carries over to the article(s) on Wikipedia, discussing "noise colors" and their various spectra: The author got the text of the discussions correct, but then went to use Audacity for his examples (images), and apparently did not look at them twice -- the results (as shown in the images) do not all agree with the correct information in the text! I checked with a friend who knows the math behind this 10x better than I do -- DSP audio analysis is his business -- and he agrees.
PR

PRAudio
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:10 pm

BTW, does anyone have any insight on "RadarSync", or have suggestions on a similar program (driver locator) that works well?

Finding correct drivers can sometimes be a nightmare, as I found out when I bought a used Dell recently, which had the HD wiped, and most of the drivers were not restored. Even going to Dell's site, with the service tag #, I had to try several drivers Dell suggested before finding one not even on my machine's network drivers list, to get the NIC going. Windows Update did not have a clue. (I was actually running through an external modem on dialup, to try the latter, but after I got the NIC going, Windows Update DID find a driver for the Intel modem - I know not where - it was not locateable (sp?) on either Dell or Intel's site. But WU failed to find other drivers after I got the NIC going. Like I say, it was a long bad dream.

At least that machine is working great now! :-)
PR

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 pm

I know nothing has been posted in here for a while, but came across a bit of an interesting program today.
In areas with a lot of wireless traffic it's been very helpful to me.
The program is call inSSIDer.
Check it out here
It's a free download, and actually pretty helpful.

A_Pickle
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, I've been poring over the intarwebz to find a good, native (not browser-based) and, if possible, free application for creating flowcharts. I hit up Google, which gave some decent results, but I was more hoping to find "Awesome Must-Have Free Software" forum threads with mentions and links to such software. Alas, I had no such luck, but I figured TR had a thread like that... and here it is. Four years old.

I think this thread could use a nice overhaul...
Sagan: Core i7 4790K + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 | Mushkin Striker 480GB | 1 TB Hitachi HD31000 HDD | Sapphire Radeon R9-290X | Rosewill Line-M
My HeatWare
The Great Graphics Card Warranty Thread

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 am

Pcfreakske2000 wrote:
I recently found a good anti-malware utility aside the known anti-spyware applications.

The application that I found is called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it's freeware. If you don't use the real-time protection, that is.

There is an optional paid version as well.

Here is their homepage : http://www.malwarebytes.org

reading through the thread i was wondering why no one had mentioned it (until the last page anyways) this program is a godsent to me. it picks up stuff that our McAfee misses by a long shot. great free app.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Drewstre
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 pm

It was a while ago, but Klyith was wondering about a freeware program that shows disk usage as a piechart but couldn't remember what it was... Dunno if it's the same program, but I use Scanner. Free and small, happily runs from a flash drive. You can get it here:

http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Does what it says on the tin.

Great thread, by the way. Thanks to all.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm

HDDScan http://hddscan.com/

*Developers Description*
HDDScan is a freeware utility for storage devices diagnostics (HDD, RAID, Flash). The program can scan storage device for Bad-blocks, show S.M.A.R.T. attributes and change some HDD parameters such as AAM, APM, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, this program is a self contained exe, making it extremely portable and usable from any removable media you prefer. The interface is very simplified making it perfect for running on system with very low resources or other issue that are slowing them down. Once scanning you will see a screen similar to the old windows defrag with colored squares. Each little block represents a sector, its color signifying how long it took that sector to respond to a request(measured in milliseconds). This comes in really handy for showing you a drive that has a very slow portion of a disk that may very well have hardware defects or be damaged in some way. Occasionally there will be the feared "B" on a block meaning that the sector was not readable at all... your hard drive is failing.

One time I was using HDDscan on a hard drive from a laptop. The client kept complaining that the laptop would boot into windows without any issue. But once he picked up the laptop and moved it to another location, windows would crash shortly after. HDDscan showed that the drive was healthy, but move the hard drive or give it any sort of light shake or tap and the next dozen or so sectors were unreadable. Looked like the actuator arm was no longer managing physical shock.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:14 am

Notepad++ is quite great if you do a lot of coding.

andebad
Gerbil

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm

a few people have posted their messenger clients Trillian ect. I just thought I would post the one that i use. http://www.pidgin.im/download Pidgin is entirely free and open source and compatible with almost every other chat program. It has a small footprint and I find that it uses less resources then both windows messenger and trillian. The UI is simple and ad free as well. Keep up the good posts guys :)
AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.6ghz | Asus M4A79T Deluxe | 8GB Corsair XMS ram | ATI 5850 | Creative X-FI titanium
ATI tv wonder 650 PCI-E | EVGA Killer Xeno Pro | Corsair 32gb SSD, WD 500gb HDD x2 | Corsair xt750w PSU

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Some software that I cant live without on XP

7-zip - for compression/archiving/etc

malwarebytes anti malware - picked up stuff that norton and spybot search and destroy both missed!!

cccp (combined comunity codec pack) - comes with a player and plays about everything - quicktime and realplayer files

ESET - nod32 & Smart security 4.0 - worth every cent

Perfect disk for a defragger - if you frag your drive that much!!

Winamp i like

firefox - web browser

thunderbird - email client

imgburn - for making iso's and data disks

Ashampoo Burning Studio Free 6.76 - for burning other stuff

hmmm what else
and of course XP powertoys, i use the clear type lots for lcds

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:00 am

Another one i forgot is

FOXITREADER - SO MUCH better than BLOATWARE adobe
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Awesome list, thank you.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:08 am

Combofix...... Now I will warn you with this one, it is absolutely a powerful little tool, very compact. It is basically a virus killing virus. In fact the guys who make it warn that you don't run it unless they say that you should (but we know better than that right :D). It was able to get rid of some pretty nasty stuff that no other AV would. Note that the other AVs I was using were ran normally, safe-mode and even on a 100% updated boo-table CD before any OS load, little virus was a tough one. I released Combo-fix into the wild on the computer and POOF, watched them battle it out. Fun stuff watching a virus try and close an admin-rights consoled AV. And as soon as the virus attempts to kill it.......... in turn it kills the viruses process, great stuff. Best of all....... its free.

http://www.combofix.org/

Enjoy, and be careful with it.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Fantastic Free Utility for Windows - Take Control of Your Desktop Again!
Fences by Stardock Software: Allows you to control custom icon groups on your Windows XP / Vista / 7 Desktop
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Reviews:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/my-mus ... nces/10992
http://lifehacker.com/5147316/fences-is ... -organizer

clocks
Gerbil

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

My list of essentials:

Chrome (used to be Firefox)
Malwarebyte & HitmanPro
Avast or AVG or NortonAV
7zip
Unlocker
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller
Steam
Process Explorer
Dropbox
VLC Player
MiroPlayer (for podcasts)
NitroPDF or PDF Xchange (used to be Foxit)

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:42 pm

My list of essentials currently consists of:

- Ubuntu Linux
- A full mirror of the Ubuntu repository for the version I'm running
- Latest version of Oracle VirtualBox (the proprietary version includes features missing from the Open Source version bundled with Linux distros, and is still free for personal use)

:wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 pm

entropy13
Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:14 am

So here's my attempt at such a list.

Disk Defrag
MyDefrag
Defragmenting tool with numerous options, useful for different types of disks (in terms of use - "system disk" or "data disk" and physically - a USB thumb drive or a usual internal hard drive). Not exactly for the Average Joe however.

Defraggler
A simpler defragmenting tool that also allows defragmentation of individual files. Piriform has other useful programs besides this (which would be making an appearance later on).

Auslogics Disk Defrag
Another alternate choice for disk defragmenting needs.

Disk Cleanup
CCleaner
Another program from Piriform, arguably the primary disk cleanup program of many.

Disk/File Management/Recovery/Encryption
Recuva
A file recovery program from Piriform.

Double Killer
Is a "fast and easy to use application for finding and removing duplicate files."

Advanced Renamer
Rename multiple files quickly with this program.

True Crypt
A free open-source disk encryption software.

Teracopy
Copying files made faster and easier through this application.

Space Sniffer
Know which file occupies how much space where with this program.

TreeSize Free
Scan directory sizes and spot space hogs quickly with this application.

System Information
CPU-Z
Usually comes first to mind when thinking about such programs.

HWMonitor
From the creators of CPU-Z, focusing more on temperatures, voltages and fan speeds.

GPU-Z
Foremost choice for information on your GPU(s).

Real Temp
A "temperature monitoring program designed for all Intel single Core, Dual Core, Quad Core and Core i7 processors."

Core Temp
A CPU temperature monitoring program alternative.

Speccy
A system information program from Piriform.

Blue Screen View
View BSOD information in your system's dump files.

SpeedFan
Versatile program which also allows fan control.

File Compression/Decompression
7-Zip
My first choice for file compression/decompression.

WinRAR
Congraturation, you are WinRAR.

WinZIP
And here's another one.

Media Players and Codecs
Winamp
Audio and video player. I usually restrict its use to audio files however.

CCCP
The codecs pack that will choose you. In Soviet Russia, it is not you who choose the codecs, for the codecs choose you!

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema is included, the best media player out there today.

VLC media player
An alternative...alternative media player.

Foobar2000
Another one, also a popular choice.

Media Files Conversion, Creation and Editing
SUPER
A program with a comprehensive list of files to convert to and from.

HandBrake
Included here to add variety.

Virtual DJ
It's free. That doesn't mean it's easy to use and quick to get the hang of it though.

Video Card Utilities
Afterburner
Now the primary option for video card tweaking. And yes, it works even with non-MSI cards.

Rivatuner
The program which forms the basis for Afterburner.

Internet Browsers
Firefox

Chrome

Opera

Safari

Internet Explorer 9
IE9 is included as I'm under the assumption that you haven't updated IE yet and you have either Vista or 7.

Desktop Customization
Rainmeter
Can be either easy to set-up or a nightmare to use, depending on the amount of time you have free. Does not measure the amount of rainfall in your area.

Rocket Dock
A dock for your shortcuts in your desktop.

RK Launcher
Another useful dock program.

Productivity Suites
OpenOffice

LibreOffice

CutePDF Writer
Create PDF files and make them cute.

Foxit Reader
An alternative PDF reader.

Image Editors
GIMP
A free alternative to Adobe's Photoshop.

Paint.NET
Another free image editor.

Inkscape
Alternative vector graphics editor.

Image Resizer for Windows
Exactly what it says in the title.

Security
Microsoft Security Essentials

AVG Free Anti-Virus

Avast! Free Antivirus

Avira Antivir Personal

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Spybot Search & Destroy

Emulation/Burning Software
DAEMON Tools Lite
Disc emulation and burning tool.

Virtual CloneDrive
A free virtual drive software.

ImgBurn
A lightweight burning application.

CDBurnerXP
Another program for your burning desires.

Networking
Wireshark
A network protocol analyzer.

Spiceworks
Networking management and monitoring software.

Instant Messaging/Voice Chat
Pidgin

Digsby

E-Mail Clients
Thunderbird
A free, open source, cross-platform e-mail and news client.

Miscellaneous
Soluto
"Soluto Beta allows you to understand your boot, discover which applications are slowing it down (and keep running later in the background, affecting your ongoing experience), and allows you to significantly improve it. While Soluto Beta focuses on the boot, it already researches for frustrations and helps map the PC Genome, allowing you to share your wisdom with others." Yes, it's still in Beta.

Notepad++
Tired with using Notepad? Use Notepad++ then.

Joomla
A free content management system for publishing content on the World Wide Web and intranets.

SeaMonkey
An all-in-one internet application suite.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU