Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: The best anti virus program

Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 pm

mattbak73 wrote:
ya NIS is exactly what i am looking for but i always heard it is a memory hog and i dont need that i'm pretty sure having 5 programs is one of my memory problems anyways. So has norton gotten better in that area or you just a sales rep?

I have the latest version of Norton and it works beautifully. Its not the system hog that it used to be. I remember using it back in 99. Granted my computer was built in the stone ages of technology but it has gotten faster. I read a few posts saying it works better with preventing attacks, about 85% effective, then it does with fighting malware, only 65% effective (these numbers were from a news organization so who knows how much research they really did). Im not knowledgeable on this so please take this with a grain of salt and draw your own conclusion. It seems that there are programs that are better for malware, then there are programs that are better for finding certain types of viruses like the ones you could get at a web site. Im still trying to find the best one to.

mooyguy
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Guys please i have problem uninstalling mcafee antivirus from my system it come up with this error-----the window installer service could not be accessed.this can occur if you are runninig windows in safe mode or if the windowsinstaller is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance. Kindly advise

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 09, 2011 1:29 pm

mooyguy wrote:
Guys please i have problem uninstalling mcafee antivirus from my system it come up with this error-----the window installer service could not be accessed.this can occur if you are runninig windows in safe mode or if the windowsinstaller is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance. Kindly advise

Using the removal tool listed in this link should do the trick.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

jabro wrote:
I am very happy with ESET NOD32 AV, and it seems to be well regarded for both its effectiveness and its relatively light footprint.

I am using ESET also. I tested several AV products on systems with known virus, trojans and malware. ESET found and cleaned the largest amount of infections. I paired it with Hitman Pro and I have not had a virus outbreak at work since.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm

I don't think you can do much better than Kaspersky Pure. Highly advanced complete malware protection package. Plus, I heard Kaspersky Labs is one of the fastest in the industry when it comes to updating their packages to combat the latest threats found in the wild. Haven't noticed any system slowdown except when scrolling through pictures under Windows Photo Viewer (WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Used to use AVG Internet Security but I'm pleased to report Pure is so much more effective in detecting threats that AVG does not.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm

AV comparatives give F secure its best rating this year (2011) I have used ESET for several years but tried F secure when my license ran out. It is cheaper for multiple computers.

F secure works well but is awkward to install and a bit unclear in informing you that it is current and working. I liked that ESET flagged windows updates (since I do not do them automatically).

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:38 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
I've heard very good things about Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's pretty lightweight and unlike some of the incumbent AV companies, MS actually has it in their best interests to put a stop to malware in general.

I don't know about them having a vested interest. They sold Symtec years back didn't they. If they did why have they waited so long to put out a antivirus program. This seems more like PR damage control like their new software is malware or virus prone.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

RAMBO wrote:
I don't know about them having a vested interest. They sold Symtec years back didn't they. If they did why have they waited so long to put out a antivirus program. This seems more like PR damage control like their new software is malware or virus prone.

Microsoft never owned Symantec.

They've been creeping closer to having their own full-blown security solution for a while now -- they rolled out Windows Firewall back in the 2K/XP days, then Malicious Software Removal Tool, Windows Defender, and now MSE/Forefront.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 pm

AVG
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:14 pm

tsoulier wrote:
AVG

Cruising on past glory.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tsoulier wrote:
AVG

Cruising on past glory.

Yup, I used to recommend it but now I just go with MSE. AVG got too bloated and intrusive for my tastes.

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tsoulier wrote:
AVG

Cruising on past glory.

Never let me down
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

Trellot
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Free Avast in combination with As-Needed Malwarebytes usage has been all I've needed for the last two years. :)

~ Trellot
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 / Intel Core i5-2500K
-XFX Radeon HD 7970 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 PSU / Corsair 600T case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB / Hitachi Deskstar 750GB

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
RAMBO wrote:

They've been creeping closer to having their own full-blown security solution for a while now -- they rolled out Windows Firewall back in the 2K/XP days, then Malicious Software Removal Tool, Windows Defender, and now MSE/Forefront.

Out of Norton, Nod, MSE, and Kapersky who would you rate the best and how would you list them from 1 to 4? Do you think MSE will charge for their services in the future?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 am

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 am

tsoulier wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
tsoulier wrote:
AVG

Cruising on past glory.

Never let me down

Have you scanned your system with Malwarebytes and MSE ? No harm in one time scan right ? Let us know the results :wink:

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 am

thegleek wrote:

You kidding right ? That's even worst than AVG.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am

Jigar wrote:
thegleek wrote:

Not kidding, why else would a "Fortune 200" corporation install it on 10's of thousands of computers?

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 am

thegleek wrote:
Jigar wrote:
thegleek wrote:

Not kidding, why else would a "Fortune 200" corporation install it on 10's of thousands of computers?

Because "managers" don't know any better.
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.

deinabog
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:26 am

I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials. Been using it since it was a beta and haven't been disappointed.
A man must have a code -Bunk

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 am

thegleek wrote:

The willingness of a corporate IT department to do/buy/install something isn't necessarily an indication that it is a good idea. As far as being a "Fortune 200" company goes... meh. Enron ranked 7th (and Fortune named them "Most Innovative Company" for six years in a row) before they imploded.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:14 am

AVG until they updated to scan every link that popped up on Google search to verify if it was safe. Downloaded MSE and find it the least bloated of everything else out there that's free. I've been using it ever since.
*yawn*

BKA
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
RAMBO wrote:

Yes, I like the MS Forefront Endpoint. Has helped more than McAfee and Symantec when cleaning clients PC's.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
The willingness of a corporate IT department to do/buy/install something isn't necessarily an indication that it is a good idea.

Ok, true. I'm just saying from when I started here years ago, they had CA e-Trust antivirus installed. Then we switched over to the mcAfee VirusScan Enterprise (which includes AntiSpyware, Host Intrusion Prevention). The only issue with it is that its quite a memory hog. But why care if you have 64bit OS with 8gigs ram min?

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

Anyone see any worth in paying for the full edition of Malwarebytes that runs in the background and actively checks for spyware, malware, etc?

I've been using the free edition but was just hit with a virus that MSE did not catch (which I was able to get rid of) and am wondering if perhaps Malwarebytes might have gotten it if it had been running.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The willingness of a corporate IT department to do/buy/install something isn't necessarily an indication that it is a good idea.

Ok, true. I'm just saying from when I started here years ago, they had CA e-Trust antivirus installed. Then we switched over to the mcAfee VirusScan Enterprise (which includes AntiSpyware, Host Intrusion Prevention). The only issue with it is that its quite a memory hog. But why care if you have 64bit OS with 8gigs ram min?

In my experience, McAfee isn't just a memory pig; it also thrashes the hard drive and noticeably slows down access to files. Sometimes even to the point where accessing a large file over the network will time out. Totally unacceptable.

Maybe newer versions don't have these issues, but we've already moved on (switched to MS Forefront).

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:14 pm

WalkCMD wrote:
Anyone see any worth in paying for the full edition of Malwarebytes that runs in the background and actively checks for spyware, malware, etc?

I've been using the free edition but was just hit with a virus that MSE did not catch (which I was able to get rid of) and am wondering if perhaps Malwarebytes might have gotten it if it had been running.

I have tried the full trial of malwarebytes in conjunction with M.S.E. and it did catch/block a few things before MSE noticed.

Although I was going to shady sites to test it. I think for most 'careful/smart' users MSE is enough, however for the less careful and the more people using the PC, the 25 bucks for Malwarebytes is probably money well spent.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 pm

thegleek wrote:
Jigar wrote:
thegleek wrote:

Someone has gotten paid off or received some kick backs, like the GOP-LOL

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 pm

RAMBO wrote:
Someone has gotten paid off or received some kick backs, like the GOP-LOL

Personally I'd replace "the GOP" with "Congress"... but let's not drag this too far into R&P territory, mmkay? :wink:

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:40 pm

MS forefront is a business antivirus deal or something right? Its the only one that you have to pay for isn't it? MSE is free and Defender.