Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: The best anti virus program

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:19 am

thegleek wrote:
Yeah been through many over the years.. The first one I recall using was something in FreeBSD called RCS. Then got some experience with CVS, Subversion, Vault, and SourceSafe. Most recent experience has been with TFS, Git, and Mercurial (used for development in the Bukkit project for Minecraft plugins).

Trivia: The guy who went on to invent CVS lived across the hall from me sophomore year in college! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 am

College dorm tangent split to here. Carry on!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kirov Reporting
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:32 am

Hey guys, I need a really light and free AV program, and it can't be MSE because Microsoft thinks this version of Windows is not genuine for some reason *whistles innocently*. It needs to be really light when in the background cos this PC is a P4 with 512 meg of ram lol.

Cheers.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Norton 360 costs more than a non-stolen version of Windows does.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

clocks
Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Kirov Reporting wrote:
Hey guys, I need a really light and free AV program, and it can't be MSE because Microsoft thinks this version of Windows is not genuine for some reason *whistles innocently*. It needs to be really light when in the background cos this PC is a P4 with 512 meg of ram lol.

Cheers.

Kingsoft PC Doctor is super light in terms of peak memory use, disk i/o, CPU time, etc... One of the lightest AVs I have ever tested. I like it a lot so far.

Otherwise go with Comodo IS or Avast. AVG is light, but may not protect as well as the other two. Panda is really nice, but chews up a lot of disk i/o.

Or you can get the best (Norton IS) for cheap online. Watch for deals and you can usually find it free after rebate or for $10 or so.

$6.99 for the AV
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/symantec- ... 26161.aspx

clocks
Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 pm

clocks wrote:

Update only. You need to have a previous paid-for version to get this, and the NewEgg posting is clear. Buy IS 2011 and you get a free upgrade to IS 2012.

No true freebies here.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

clocks
Gerbil

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:
clocks wrote:

Update only. You need to have a previous paid-for version to get this, and the NewEgg posting is clear. Buy IS 2011 and you get a free upgrade to IS 2012.

No true freebies here.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. I actually got Norton free from them about a month ago.

They ship you the 2011 boxed version, which updates to 2012 via software update. I believe all recent old versions 09, 10, 11, will update to 2012.

So to be clear, they ship you 2011 FREE after rebate. Then through the GUI, you can update to 2012 for FREE. Or, to make it easier, you can just download NIS 2012, and then enter the key from what Neweggs sends you. I am not sure where your confusion comes from.

MidnightFrost1701
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks is the best antivirus bang for buck right now. I've been using Norton IS for a couple of years, and although I'm not unhappy with it, I've seen references to MSE that make me wonder if I should save some money and switch. I think it goes without saying that I want solid protection, but I also want something that's going to be very light while I'm gaming. My current term with IS will be up in March, so it's a good time for me to re-evaluate whether or not it's worth the money I'm paying.

I see that clocks recommended Kingsoft PC Doctor, Comodo IS, and Avast. That was about 5 months ago, though. Are those all still great choices, and how do they compare to MSE?

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm

MidnightFrost1701 wrote:
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks is the best antivirus bang for buck right now. I've been using Norton IS for a couple of years, and although I'm not unhappy with it, I've seen references to MSE that make me wonder if I should save some money and switch. I think it goes without saying that I want solid protection, but I also want something that's going to be very light while I'm gaming. My current term with IS will be up in March, so it's a good time for me to re-evaluate whether or not it's worth the money I'm paying.

I see that clocks recommended Kingsoft PC Doctor, Comodo IS, and Avast. That was about 5 months ago, though. Are those all still great choices, and how do they compare to MSE?

I've been a big fan of MSE for a long time now. It's very light - you hardly notice it's running, and even the updates are practically invisible. It works just as well as any of the paid ones. And it's free.