Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Importing music to WMP/Zune Software

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 am

I can't believe I can't figure this out or find this online, but I have a question about importing music in to WMP or the Zune software. In iTunes, when I imported a song in to the library, it automatically moved it from the folder I had it to my music folder and created the appropriate Artist/Album/Song folder/file structure. Is there a way to do this with WMP/Zune? I see where it will do that when I rip a CD, but not when I import an audio file already on my computer. Any advice would be great.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Importing music to WMP/Zune Software

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:39 pm

For the Zune software, just go into settings and you should see a list of folders where it is looking for music files. You can either add the folder(s) your existing MP3s are in, or you can copy them to one of those folders. Alternatively, you can just drag a folder onto the Zune application and it'll do that automatically.

There really isn't any "import" per say - you're just telling Zune what folders to include in your library.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Yeah I understand about including new folders in the library. I don't want to keep including new folders into my library. I am looking more for the automatic library organization that iTunes gave me when I imported new files.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't think it actually does that; which to me is a plus. I wouldn't want the application to move my files around because I have other applications that expect them to remain where they are.

If your music files are tagged, there are some apps out there that'll create a folder structure for you based on the tags; or I guess you could just use iTunes for that...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

apkellogg wrote:
Yeah I understand about including new folders in the library. I don't want to keep including new folders into my library. I am looking more for the automatic library organization that iTunes gave me when I imported new files.

If you simply copy/move artist/album/song folders into the Zune library folder, Zune will see them the next time you launch it. Just remember to tell WMP where the files are.

My standard practice for ripping is to use dbPowerAmp (to get a FLAC'd/shn'd ROIO into Zune requires converting to wav, using EAC to extract to a Nero virtual drive and ripping from there into the Zune folder) to rip straight into the Zune folder and have had no issues. I use dbPowerAmp because it offers better mp3 options than Zune. I used to go lossless WMA, but the 120gb HD-based Zune died and I needed to squeeze to make space.

If only MS would write the simple code needed to make Zunes understand FLAC.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 am

Thank you for the advice Captain Ned. I guess the biggest thing is that I will have to change how I download music when I buy it from Amazon and let its software download straight to my music collection instead of a temp folder.