Origin Exports Data

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Origin Exports Data

Postposted on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:38 am

I was hesitant to post this because of the rabid Steam fans, but....

Basically, Origin likes to send system information to third party services.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Origin ... 13285.html
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Re: Origin Exports Data

Postposted on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 am

Huh? It's less rabid Steam fans and more rabid EA haters.

And honestly, the EA haters have a reason to hate. I'm not all that surprised, truth be told.

Steam collects hardware data but as far as I remember that was always an opt-in thing. The two or three times it wanted to send my data it asked first, at least.

This is blocked for me at work, but for anyone who wants to compare: http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Origin Exports Data

Postposted on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 am

My post is about what EA is doing so to screw their customers, so I don't disagree with the EA hate. As for Steam, over the years I've had to disable "features" of Steam because it kept sending my data out, or re-downloading useless files, or a variety of things it did and my games were working regardless.

In articles and news postings with EA nowhere mentioned by reporter or commenter, there's a huge response and outpouring of love for Steam and Valve. Everyone seems to think they're the new-age Google who can do no wrong, publishes the best products, and deserves nothing but high praise. A lot of times it's blatantly obvious and if I or others post a negative point about Valve or Steam highlighting some glaring flaws in their product/system, it becomes the subject of criticism for not joining the Valve bandwagon.

Again, just relating news about Origin, and I stand by my statement, "rabid Steam fans."
dashbarron
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Return to General Software