Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

jdii1215
Gerbil In Training

Re: Why Chrome over Firefox?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Lwitte7 wrote:
I switched to chrome a few days ago, because Firefox constant freezes. Is it just my browser? or are there more people out there with the same problem? I like Chrom, but still think Mozilla is the best.

Greetzzz

Well, you might try clearing your Mozilla Firefox cache. Chrome comes with an empty cache, so it will (like all new browsers) be faster at first. Also, I use Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1 and find it faster than earlier versions and less intense as to the RAM it needs. YMMV.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Lwitte7 wrote:
I switched to chrome a few days ago, because Firefox constant freezes. Is it just my browser? or are there more people out there with the same problem? I like Chrom, but still think Mozilla is the best.

Greetzzz

I switched to Chrome a couple of months back due to this very issue. Nothing really seemed to solve it, and when one tab crashed it generally took the whole browser with it.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:24 pm

BTW, Firefox is on version 9. Works OK for me.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Never had any issues with FF, most likely because I don't use any garbage "add-ons" :P I've tried all of teh browsers available on Windows and OSX (just tried Chrome again a couple of days ago) and will still stay with FF simply for the fact that AdBlock (the only "add-on" I actually find useful) actually works properly for it (Chrome's version still can't block a lot of content, especially video Ads on certain sites like Twitch.tv) :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

JohnC wrote:
...most likely because I don't use any garbage "add-ons"

I didn't have a single add-on installed, and it still crashed regularly. Maybe it detected that I was an avid IE user before FF and just wanted to make me feel at home. :lol:

r00t61
Gerbil

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm

1. NoScript
2. AdBlock
3. FlashBlock
4. Ghostery
5. Remove It Permanently

These are a few reasons I prefer FF over Chrome. Similar functionality can be found in Chrome, but not with the level of granularity and control I get in FF. I can go to a site that I trust like TR, and leave everything on; or to a site that I completely distrust, like, say, CNN, and disable every last darn thing.

More philosophically, I dislike Google in general, and will do whatever I can whenever possible to avoid the company and its products.

This thread makes me nostalgic for Netscape Navigator.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 pm

r00t61 wrote:
This thread makes me nostalgic for Netscape Navigator.

:lol:

Believe it or not, I used Netscape Navigator 3.01 as my e-mail client for *years*... long after I stopped using it as a web browser. I think I finally ditched it when version 0.9 of the Mozilla suite came out in 2001. The e-mail folder format used by Netscape Navigator has remained unchanged all the way down to the current Thunderbird e-mail client; I've still got e-mail folders containing 15+ year old e-mails from back in those days.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Berek
Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:01 am

I've been wanting to switch to Chrome, but the one thing that has held me back is a decent vertical tab column... one that allows indented trees preferably. Something like this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... style-tab/
Community Manager
Petroglyph Games
http://www.petroglyphgames.com

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 am

Ryhadar wrote:
I think the speed of chrome versus Firefox is a bit exaggerated, but that's my subjective take on it

On a modern fairly fast PC there isn't much difference you're right, and it's mainly just personal preference (although Chrome still feels slightly snappier to me).

On a netbook class device or old PC the difference is enormous however. I have an ancient P4-based laptop which Firefox barely even runs on, and takes forever to load pages (this was with no plugins/extensions too). Chrome on the other hand is relatively quick on that same laptop. One is virtually unusable, the other one is a good browsing experience.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 am

travbrad wrote:
On a modern fairly fast PC there isn't much difference you're right, and it's mainly just personal preference (although Chrome still feels slightly snappier to me).

As I've noted previously, the thing that got me to switch was a few versions back, Firefox on Linux was borderline intolerably slow. Not sure what they did that caused the problem, or what they did to fix it in later versions, but it is better now. (I'm still using Chrome though...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
As I've noted previously, the thing that got me to switch was a few versions back, Firefox on Linux was borderline intolerably slow. Not sure what they did that caused the problem, or what they did to fix it in later versions, but it is better now. (I'm still using Chrome though...)

This is the reason I started using Chrome and have stuck with it. Chrome runs much better on Linux than Firefox. I have grown to like Chrome on Windows too though. I don't use any add-ons or anything though so I might be different than most Firefox lovers.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100