Firefox 4+: Gap For Tabs on Top

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Firefox 4+: Gap For Tabs on Top

Postposted on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I was in the discussion about the differences between chrome and firefox and I got to thinking. I prefer Firefox over Chrome but there are a couple of things I can't stand about the current firefox. One of them was that, while having tabs on top frees up a lot of screen real estate, it's cumbersome when you're filled up on tabs and want to move the browser somewhere else.

Luckily, I made a fix for this awhile ago (so long that I almost forgot it wasn't apart of native firefox).

The fix involves editing (or creating) the userChrome.css file in the chrome directory under your firefox profile. So, navigate to %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles

There should only be one folder in here, which looks like [bunchOfLettersHere].default. Go here, the go to/create the chrome directory. Inside the chrome directory open/create userChrome.css.

Then copy this code into userChrome.css:

Code: Select all
#main-window[sizemode=maximized] #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #TabsToolbar{

padding-top: 4px !important;

}

You can change 4px to whatever you want, but I found 4px to be the best. Save userChrome.css and restart Firefox. Then your tab bar should look like this:

Hope this helps someone.

*UPDATE*

It looks like mozilla removed the tabs on top option altogether in v29, so there's a slight tweak you'll need to do to keep this working in v29+:

Code: Select all
#main-window[sizemode=maximized] #navigator-toolbox #TabsToolbar{

padding-top: 4px !important;

}

If you'll notice all that's necessary is to remove the tabs on top reference.
Last edited by Ryhadar on Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Re: Firefox 4+: Gap For Tabs on Top

Postposted on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Nice man! I always hated that empty space since 4.0.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to General Software