Live video streaming software?

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Live video streaming software?

Postposted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm

I have the need to stream live video over the web. The solution would have to provide these features:
    Live stream to browser via flash or silverlight
    On-demand replays of past content
    content stored locally (no ustream, justin, etc)

It does NOT need to provide any editing/production capabilities. The video will be delivered to a PC ready to stream as is.

I haven't been able to find any decent reviews on the available options, so, I'm turning to gerbil nation. Does anybody have any experience with the software options out there?
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock
dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Re: Live video streaming software?

Postposted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:41 am

http://www.pcworld.com/article/213034/s ... _show.html

Seriously, when it comes to streaming, Day[9] knows what he's doing.

He's using Justin.TV for the streaming service now, though - I don't know if that changes any of this.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Re: Live video streaming software?

Postposted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll watch a couple of the videos later. I don't have to worry about the production portion. From what I gather across the web, FMLE is pretty much the standard encoder, and it's actually free. It seems to be easy to use also.

The part I'm struggling with is the portion he's using ustream for. There are a couple of options for a local streaming server. The Adobe product is $4,500. There is a product called Wowza that is $995 that claims to have a bunch of advantages to Adobe's solution. However, it's a convoluted setup process that I haven't got working right.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock
dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Software