Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

need software to make lyric videos

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:24 am

Sometimes when the kids are on youtube they play videos with songs that have the lyrics pop up on the screen as the song is being played (typically with a background picture). I have a project I intend to do soon which would benefit greatly from software that could do that. Anyone know what program(s) people use to make such videos?

Thanks!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: need software to make lyric videos

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 am

Isn't that just the Youtube "captions" feature? The person who uploaded the video hand-filled out the text and timed it with the lyrics.

For anime stuff you have things like "hard subs" and "soft subs", I think the terminology is, wherein hard subs you get the video in something like Sony Vegas or iMovie or whatever and overlay text, then re-render the video out. So the words become part of the video. Soft subs are supported in VLC and maybe some other video playback programs, dunno, but it's a companion .sub file which my understanding is that it's just text with times and the video player overlays subtitles automatically from the info in the .sub file.

Hopefully that's useful info for ya.

Ksonus
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, but maybe anyone could suggest some other solution? I'd like to know how to do this automatically, with no need of deep tech knowledge.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I use adobe premiere but you can just use windows movie maker.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 am

kvndoom wrote:
Sometimes when the kids are on YouTube they play videos with songs that have the lyrics pop up on the screen as the song is being played (typically with a background picture). I have a project I intend to do soon which would benefit greatly from software that could do that. Anyone know what program(s) people use to make such videos?

This does what you want:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... OS-Android

Not sure if you can use it independently of the Shazam application....