Good free Benchmark programs?

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Good free Benchmark programs?

Postposted on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Subject says it all. Looking for some decent free PC Benchmarking programs. I've got two older laptops that are very similar, trying to figure out which one has the edge. Thanks for the recommendations!
Phenom II X4 840
MSI Radeon HD 7770 OC
90 GB Corsair Force 3
80 GB HDD
Asus M5A88-V Evo
Antec Three Hundred
8 GB Corsair XMS3 DD3 1333
Klanky
Gerbil

Re: Good free Benchmark programs?

Postposted on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:50 pm

It is not free but you get a 30 day trial with it. I use this tool for benching all my stuff.

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

Great tool. I ended up buying it. Nice thing is, after you by it, you can install it to a jump drive to make it portable!

EDIT: Sorry, 30 day trial. It cost $24.
i7-2600k (4.1Ghz), 16GB DDR3-1600, 6970 2GB, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Recon3D Audio (PCI-E), WD 1TB Black (os/programs), WD 2TB Green (games), WD 3TB Green (movies/music), Win 8.1 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance mixes and other goodies! linserv.biz.tm
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Location: Somewhere in a land the doctor says does not exist...

Re: Good free Benchmark programs?

Postposted on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Sorry it has taken so long to prepare a reply. I've recently gone thru the same exercise. You need to decide what you are comparing, in my case it was strictly processor speed. I've read with interest a number of processor reviews. A recent one is Sandy-E, which is fast! Link

Page 14 discusses the STARS Euler3d benchmark. It is a 14 MB zip file download. Running it helped me see how much faster my new processor is compared to what it replaced. Over 120% faster. It also helped me see which of two other Core 2 Duo PCs was faster. This appears obvious from the model numbers (4300 vs 6300). However the 6300 was only 5% faster when I loaded both cores for 20 passes of the benchmark.

My build thread: Link

I started to look at which is faster; running the benchmark on the new processor with hyperthreading vs without. The benchmark numbers say no hyperthreading is faster by approx 7%. Not extensive testing. The system monitor "looks" better with hyperthreading enabled.
PhilipMcc
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to General Software