Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Questors
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

SilenX and Image Burn Malware?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I tried to reach the SilenX site last evening (12/17/2012) and Trend Micro Titanium cut off the page listing it as a dangerous site confirmed known to distribute malware and/or participate in fraud or scam. Then today, suddenly Trend removes Image Burn from my system and when I gave an attempt to download Image Burn again, Trend cut off the download and deleted the file giving a message that malware was found in the files.

I am not sure if this sounds right and I am giving a warning or asking if this indeed sounds even realistic and Trend has gone off the deep end? Below is an example:

1/17/2012 20:19 C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S06C2UH1\SetupImgBurn_2.5.6.0[1].exe\$INSTDIR\ImgBurn.exe PE_SALITY.USAV0109 Malware Access Denied
1/17/2012 20:19 C:\Users\***\Downloads\SetupImgBurn_2.5.6.0.exe.6bcvfdp.partial\$INSTDIR\ImgBurn.exe PE_SALITY.USAV0109 Malware Removed

~Questors

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Re: SilenX and Image Burn Malware?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 pm

It is not clear from your post how Silenx and imgburn are related.

MSE nor Malwarebytes finds any problem with the Imgburn download.

silenx.com does not load for me (101 error in Chrome).

Questors
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 pm

The only relation the program has with the web site I was trying to view is the fact that Image Burn was installed on the same computer I attempted to view the SilenX website. One set of data installed and the other downloaded to a TEMP file. So they resided on the same computer where Trend Micro Titanium was installed. That is it.

Btw, Spybot Search and Destroy reported nothing.

~Questors
Last edited by Questors on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Image Burn is not malware. However if you didn't get it directly from Lightning UK or another reputable site there's a slight possibility. Whenever in doubt take it to Virus Total but never just trust one antivirus. There are too many false positives.

I consider all virus scanning in the background to be less than useless. If you're concerned about site based malware use noscript or equivalent on your browser - and not antivirus. As long as you're running a firewall and being reasonably careful (not opening attachments to email without scanning - or never opening them from someone you don't know personally) you're generally ok.

Doing a full scan while you're sleeping isn't a bad idea as long as you double check that everything it's counting as a virus actually is one. Allowing an AV to just delete stuff is generally a superhighway to frustration.

YMMV. Good luck.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

destroy.all.monsters wrote:
Image Burn is not malware. However if you didn't get it directly from Lightning UK or another reputable site there's a slight possibility. Whenever in doubt take it to Virus Total but never just trust one antivirus. There are too many false positives.
There have been reports that it may be a false alarm. SilenX.com should be just a separate event.

destroy.all.monsters wrote:
If you're concerned about site based malware use noscript or equivalent on your browser - and not antivirus.
Script is only one part of the whole thing, Flash and Acrobat plugins are the bigger attack vectors now. However, we are treading close to rule #12 territory so let's stop there.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.