Avira Antivirus :)

Has the best hit rate available.

Only the stupid ads are anoying me :/

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: best antivirus software?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am

greenmystik wrote:
Kaspersky was just a bit too much of a resource hog for me.

I'm using Kaspersky currently. It's run quite well on 3 of my PCs, but it did have weird issues on a fourth, slowing it down noticeably. I chalked it up to some odd incompatibility, as that PC was not a slouch by any stretch of the imagination. I do run a higher end rig, so there was no noticeable system lag after I installed Kaspersky (KIS 2012 or Kaspersky Pure 2012). I think it does a better job that MSE, but MSE combined with MBAM Pro is a very effective combo for most users.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: best antivirus software?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Yea, Kaspersky antivirus does have better detection rates than MSE (especially when it comes to detect currently "unknown" malware, using heuristics engine) or majority of other paid and free antivirus programs, but it is also notorious for random performance issues (and is very "sensitive" to the "leftovers" of previous antivirus programs). The random slowdowns don't happen for majority of users, though, and they do try to eliminate these issues with each new release. It's also highly customizeable - for example, in latest version there's "game mode" which, when enabled, can supress some warnings and some actions if you are currently playing some game, or another setting where you can tell the antivirus to start the auto-update only when your PC is idling. Plus it has a 30-day trial mode during which you can fully test the antivirus to see if it can cause performance issues on YOUR particular system.

Edit: here are the screenshots I made from latest version of Kaspersky Antivirus - with all those options enabled, you should have no significant "slow-downs" of your PC, like with previous versions of this antivirus:

Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people