File sharing

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

File sharing

Postposted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey guys sorry to bother you with more work related concerns.

I'm looking for a solution to a problem, our FTP server has gone down and will be a while before we resolve that the IT person who set it up is no longer here so it falls to me to find a bridge in the short term.

I was looking at drop box but my boss is concerned it will allow reverse access from the client into our system. We don't want this for obvious reasons. Could you tell me if drop box is safe or link me a decent bit on how to set it up for such a environment. Or recommend another solution.

Thanks.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Re: File sharing

Postposted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:24 pm

What OS are we talking here? Are you sure it's not something simple like restarting the FTP server? What does 'ftp localhost' return?
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:I'm looking for a solution to a problem, our FTP server has gone down and will be a while before we resolve that the IT person who set it up is no longer here so it falls to me to find a bridge in the short term.

I was looking at drop box but my boss is concerned it will allow reverse access from the client into our system. We don't want this for obvious reasons. Could you tell me if drop box is safe or link me a decent bit on how to set it up for such a environment. Or recommend another solution.

I am confused. Almost by definition if you host your own FTP server you are giving access to other clients into your system. Dropbox is hosted at a 3rd party location so there is no direct access from the downloader to your own computers. Fixing your FTP server may be easier than you think. What is broken?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 am

The ftp is crashing, bouncing people out and or locking them out. Our FTP is not hosted on our network its a tower with a dedicated internet line so from that server you can't get into our systems. If you guys say drop box is secure that is good enough for me :wink: . My manager was the one who got all unsure about it, so I thought I'd ask around. An It guy will come and trouble shoot what is wrong with the server eventually :-? .

Thanks. :D
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:The ftp is crashing, bouncing people out and or locking them out. Our FTP is not hosted on our network its a tower with a dedicated internet line so from that server you can't get into our systems. If you guys say drop box is secure that is good enough for me :wink: . My manager was the one who got all unsure about it, so I thought I'd ask around. An It guy will come and trouble shoot what is wrong with the server eventually :-? .

I see. Dropbox is somewhat secure for casual people. The concern when business comes to mind is just the fact that the data is "out there" somewhere on someone's server, probably replicated across all their data centres. Sure the file should be encrypted but it is still sitting on some storage that you don't have control over. You may be able to say TruCrypt the file(s) to add yet another layer of encryption but it can be troublesome for your clients.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Return to General Software