Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

bulldog2010
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

DVD rippers and Video downloader

Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 am

I’m writing in hope that I can get some guidance and suggestions on DVD ripping software and video downloading software. Ideally free would be best but would be willing to purchase the products to get quality and simplicity; as long as it does not cost an arm and a leg.

I’ve checked out several on the internet and a lot of them have way too many unnecessary bells and whistles and others not enough. Some look like you need a PhD in quantum physics to operate. I accept the fact that I’ll probably have get 2 separate software packages in order to get what I’m looking for and I’m fine with that. Here is what I’m looking for.

1. A dvd ripper that copies high quality back-up dvd’s. and to be able to make copies on my hard drive, as IOS format for later burning and a video TS format. Also would like this to be able to rip the audio part only so I can burn this to an audio cd later.

2. A software downloader that can download videos from the internet like youtube videos, TV programs, movies, and other various video clips from different websites.

Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from you folks as my head is swimming after looking at the maze of products out there.

Thanks!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: DVD rippers and Video downloader

Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 am

It's going to be tough to discuss this subject without running afoul of Rule #1 as most DVD rippers are designed to defeat CSS encryption protection and thus violate the DMCA (and trigger Rule #1). You'll find that most rippers are hosted in China or other places with a casual attitude to the US DMCA.

IOW, if you're about to suggest a program that can remove CSS protection, stop right there so I don't have to mod your post.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: DVD rippers and Video downloader

Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 am

XXXXXXXXX not free just inexpensive

And violates the DMCA. Since the first post failed to comprehend the simple rules, we're done here.

Last edited by Captain Ned on Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 1, DMCA, the usual issues for topics like these