Disappointed with Opera Next

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Disappointed with Opera Next

Postposted on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Ok guys, some of you may have heard that Opera is ditching their own home-grown Presto layout engine in favor of adopting Chrome's Webkit engine. I've been a big fan of Opera for many years now and I've been using it as my main browser for my desktop PC, which means I only use IE or some other browser when I run into some problems with Opera, which is quite rare. Now I just downloaded and tried their new Webkit-based browser, Opera 15, and I must say it just doesn't feel like the old Opera at all despite Opera's efforts (and weak ones at that) to make Opera 15 have some semblance to the old Opera. The options menus don't look the same at all, Speed Dial doesn't feel like the old Speed Dial at all, Smooth Scrolling is not even in the options menu and it looks like I need to install a plug in to have it just like Chrome does, etc. Now I know there are a lot of folks out there who swear by Chrome, but I'm not one of them and in fact I'm one of those guys who use Opera because I found many things in Opera that I really like that I don't get with Chrome. With Opera Next, I think a lot of old-time Opera fans will be disappointed that their favorite browser is now practically Chrome that's just branded off as Opera. No sir, you can call it whatever you want but we know it just ain't the real McCoy.

Now I knkow Opera Next is still a work in progress but I just can't wait for them to make the new Opera feel like the old Opera. After trying out Opera 15, I'm seriously considering going with Firefox.
AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4) / 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1866 / AMD HD7770 1GB / TP-Link WN723N USB Wifi-N / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB / LG ODD / Cooler Master GX650 / Aerocool VS3 / LG W2252TQ / Win7 64-bit
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Re: Disappointed with Opera Next

Postposted on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm

I quit using Opera after version 9. I used to like Opera because it was different, had customizable themes, and it felt like it wasn't trying to conform to the "look at me I'm just like the competing browsers only better" game. It felt like it was it's own creature, and that made it fun to use. Now it's just trying to be like the rest. Sadly. there really isn't another decent rendering engine to turn to that isn't trident, gecko, or webkit-based. Or maybe I just like to go against the norm. For example, I used to think that Linux was cool until government and big business desecrated it with their unholy hands. :(
confusedpenguin
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 pm

I just installed opera 15, which is based on Chromium. It's pretty snappy. Just started using it about 5 minutes ago, so no solid opinion about it yet. But one thing I notice is it is VERY responsive, especially for my computer being so old now, with a Core 2 Duo E4400.
confusedpenguin
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Tried the latest version of Opera, no thanks.

Started using Opera since v9, but now that other browsers share the bookmark database and other features the only reason I stuck with Opera was the completely customizable interface. I just don't understand why no other browser allows tab stacking on the left side of the screen. Everything is widescreen so there's always more horizontal real estate than vertical, and it makes it very quick to find the right tab when looking up info or pasting links around.

If I have to give up the tab stacking then I might as well switch to Chrome for its much better flash handling support. Opera's been slowly reintroducing features in the new Webkit Opera build that existed in v12, but I'm not sure Opera can even add the customizable GUI back into it assuming they wanted to.
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 am

I was let down by Opera 15 as well. Now it's up to 17 and seems nothing has changed. Until they do some major work on Opera I'll be sticking with 12.06 which is working just fine for me.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am

Philldoe wrote:I was let down by Opera 15 as well. Now it's up to 17 and seems nothing has changed. Until they do some major work on Opera I'll be sticking with 12.06 which is working just fine for me.

They've continued updating v12 with security fixes for the time being, the current version is up to 12.16. I'd suggest patching at least to that version to get them!
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to General Software