Free POS system

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Free POS system

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 am

Hi Gerbils.

I'm planning to open a retail drug store and I'm looking for a good ERP/POS system. Now this POS system will obviously need to keep track of inventory, sales levels, cash levels, generate reports (of sales, inventory, cash, etc.), be able to connect to receipt printers, touch screen support would be a plus, inform us when some items are running low on stock (and perhaps generate Purchase Orders), and quite importantly, I'm thinking about a POS system where in the software runs off a main server where POS 'dumb' terminals are merely connected to it and update the server's records on the fly. Now I'm looking forward and am planning to open new stores in the future if the first store looks good. Obviously I can't be in several stores at the same time and traveling between stores can really eat up a day quick. To help facilitate this, I'd like to be able to check a particular store's server for details remotely. So, let's say I'm in the head office and I can check any store's stock level or cash balance, or their inventory, or their sales (so far) at any particular time or for a particular date.

Now I am aware that getting software this advanced may not be free, or there may be free stuff out there that aren't that good or are pretty good but would require paid support to actually get off the ground. I've actually seen 'open source' packages that actually cost more than the store itself! I'm also talking with some ERP/POS providers but their prices are quite expensive. If I can get a good ERP/POS solution that's good enough and free, then it would be a big bonus, since I'm not really Bill Gates-wealthy at this point.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
The three pillars of my digital life: AMD FX-8350, Google Nexus 7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro), Intel Core i5-2450M
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Re: Free POS system

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 am

I'm sorry but I can't help with your question. However I just can't resist on commenting on your posts Subject line. When I first read that the first thing that popped into my mind was some one trying to give away a Piece of S&%# computer....

In this case you might want to spell it out and avoid the acronym. Just saying.... :lol:
Khali
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:12 am

https://www.openerp.com/

That's the only one I'm aware of, never used it myself though.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 am

Khali wrote:When I first read that the first thing that popped into my mind was some one trying to give away a Piece of S&%# computer....

I also interpreted it the same way.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

I don't have any experience with PoS systems, but here are some I've found.

There is SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service system that looks interesting.
https://www.suse.com/products/linuxpointofservice/

OpenBravo
http://www.openbravo.com/retail

Apache Ofbiz
http://ofbiz.apache.org/

Unicenta
http://www.unicenta.com/
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks, guys. I'm actually presently looking at UniCenta. It looks like a nice piece of software although I don't know if it's robust and documentation/support is practically nonexistent. I've looked at a number of open source ERP packages before. When you see 'open source' the first thing that pops in your head is that it's free, but it's actually quite deceiving. Open source doesn't necessarily mean free. Some packages (I think OpenBravo is one of them) is 'free' but it looks like there's a group behind it ready to pounce and give you a price tag. In my country the price is actually more than $10,000 for something like 3 machines. Either that or it's the SaaS route, which I don't find enticing either.

More suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again!
The three pillars of my digital life: AMD FX-8350, Google Nexus 7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro), Intel Core i5-2450M
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Software