Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Productivity software for W7&W8?

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello, I am planning a format on 2 PC's soon (W7 & W8 pro, x64) anyone have any suggestions for some good software to improve usability and functionality? I don't really do much with them, some cad, some occasional gaming, some general work and recreational use (music, surfing, etc.)

For w7 I find not having a taskbar for each monitor annoying, the same with not being able to set individual wallpapers for each monitor (2 no, 3 future), so I was thinking of purchasing actual multiple monitors or display fusion (for this).

For W8 it's strictly desktop/non touch use so I want straight to desktop with the start menu, I have classic shell now and its ok, but I am considering start8 instead.

I also see dual monitor taskbar on sourceforge.

I don't mind if the programs cost money if they are worth it. Any other program suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: Productivity software for W7&W8?

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 pm

No one tried any dual monitor software?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm

With Windows 8, the multi-monitor taskbar already works pretty well. I have mine set to display only the windows that are open on that monitor, but I do wish it had the option of removing the icon that's always duplicated on the main monitor, and it sure would be nice to be able to put a clock on a secondary monitor or even have the ability to customize each monitor's taskbar separately. Like, I'd want to be able to pick which monitors have taskbars, what applications they show and what system tray stuff they show (clock and other things, like volume control).

Windows 8.1 will natively allow you to boot to the desktop- no worries there.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks

So basically wait for W8.1 to be released and either get the dual taskbar software for W7.

weaktoss
Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:36 pm

About dual taskbar on Win 7--I once used UltraMon for multiple monitors with Win 7 and was happy with it. It's been a while, but I remember it having some nice features involving customizing the taskbar per monitor. Oh and proper options for how you want your desktop background(s) to stretch/split across monitors. It's not free, but pretty sure there's a trial version.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:25 pm

for win7 i have tried both displayfusion and ultramon and both are very good and have tons of features. just get the trial versions and see what you like better if you want to pay for something.

i wanted some freeware to get the job done since i didn't need everything that displayfusion or ultramon do, so i found DualMonitorTools. it is a free suite with 5-6 different apps for multi-monitors. almost all of the apps are useless, except for DualWallpaper which works really well for me. not the most intuitive to setup, but with some trial and error you can get your desktop background anyway you like....and it's free! i have one large image stretched across 2 monitors with different resolutions and was able to tweak positon so that it looks perfectly aligned.

on a side note, pretty pathetic that dual monitors need a third party tool to work properly...i have had dual monitors for a long long time already.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Windows 8 can finally do 2 different wallpapers on the 2 monitors.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Windows 8 can finally do 2 different wallpapers on the 2 monitors.

It can show five different pictures on each of five different monitors in the slideshow mode too- I've tried it :).

toki
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:57 am

I was passing by and read this, you also try dualmon. It is a free alternative to ultramon. It comes with plenty of features as well.