Can't see the files I just created!

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Can't see the files I just created!

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 am

I can't figure this out for the life of me. I was using a command line program, eac3to, to extract the TrueHD and H264 streams from a Blu-ray (that I own, and will not upload to the internet). According to the program log, eac3to did successfully create the files and stash them in C:, but they're not there!. The two files clearly are taking up space on the hard drive, but I just can't see them. They aren't hidden files, either.

I'm guessing that this is Windows' way of punishing me for not running eac3to in an elevated command prompt. Still, there has to be a way to view the files or to at least reclaim the lost disk space, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Re: Can't see the files I just created!

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 am

Try search for them? If you were being punished by not running elevated, then there would not even be any "hidden" files eating your space.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Did you look in the user's home folder? (C:\Users\<username>)? If you ran the tool from a new command prompt window without using the "cd" command first, the files aren't going to be put in the root folder of C:.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Try looking around with SpaceMonger: http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/

The free version is SpaceMonger v1.4.0, near the bottom of the Free Software tab.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Searching for them was one of the first things I tried. It's as if the files don't exist.

The files aren't in the user folder. I told the program to put them in C: (and according to the log, that's where they should be).

I'm at work now, but I'll try SpaceMonger when I get home.
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:49 pm

That's the problem of counting on "default". "C:" (with no backslashes) means just the C drive, on whatever folder it may be on. It may be the current program folder, or the folder in the "Start in" field of the shortcut. Again, I would say it is not a problem of not running elevated (you should not have to, that's the whole idea of the new security model). It is the problem when the command line was issued that you did not specify the full path to your output file.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:04 pm

If the situation is as Flying Fox suggested, the files might be hiding in your user directory thanks to file system virtualization, namely if the program attempted to put them in it's program files directory, windows may silently place them in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Also if they were created as hidden and system (no idea why a program would do that, though), they would be still be hidden unless you uncheck 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' option as well.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Flying Fox wrote:That's the problem of counting on "default". "C:" (with no backslashes) means just the C drive, on whatever folder it may be on. It may be the current program folder, or the folder in the "Start in" field of the shortcut. Again, I would say it is not a problem of not running elevated (you should not have to, that's the whole idea of the new security model). It is the problem when the command line was issued that you did not specify the full path to your output file.

This is exactly what I typed to extract the data streams:

eac3to c:\crazy 1) 2: c:\video.h264 3: c:\audio.thd 5: c:\sub1.sup

eac3to does not require installation; it's just a small program sitting in a folder on drive C. The reason all of this stuff is in the root folder is that it makes for less typing. :)
The thing is, when I run the program from an elevated command prompt, the output files all show up as they should. However, the original, "hidden" files from my first attempt are still somewhere on the drive, using close to 40GB of space.
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:59 pm

More info on the security redirection here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/archive/b/developers/archive/2009/08/04/user-account-control-data-redirection.aspx

Relevant part here:
Today, many applications are still designed to write files to the Program Files, Windows directories, or system root (typically the C drive) folders. Some applications are designed to update Microsoft® Windows registry values, specifically values in HKLM/Software. But there is one problem: the files or registry values are not created or updated. You may ask, “What’s going on? My application goes through the code and does not report an error. So where are my files?”

I wonder if those files get cleaned when windows does its normal temp file cleaning... like you say, there could be some huge space hogs in there.
madlemming
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 pm

jackbomb wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:That's the problem of counting on "default". "C:" (with no backslashes) means just the C drive, on whatever folder it may be on. It may be the current program folder, or the folder in the "Start in" field of the shortcut. Again, I would say it is not a problem of not running elevated (you should not have to, that's the whole idea of the new security model). It is the problem when the command line was issued that you did not specify the full path to your output file.

This is exactly what I typed to extract the data streams:

eac3to c:\crazy 1) 2: c:\video.h264 3: c:\audio.thd 5: c:\sub1.sup

eac3to does not require installation; it's just a small program sitting in a folder on drive C. The reason all of this stuff is in the root folder is that it makes for less typing. :)
The thing is, when I run the program from an elevated command prompt, the output files all show up as they should. However, the original, "hidden" files from my first attempt are still somewhere on the drive, using close to 40GB of space.

At least make a folder like, c:\a, and then you can go in there and type to your heart's content. ;)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

@madlemming: I think you've nailed it there. The files are probably somewhere under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

@jackbomb: Just don't do that! You're expecting things to behave like they did back in the bad old Windows XP (and prior) days, when anything was allowed to write anywhere by default. Windows doesn't allow that any more because it was a huge security hole, which was exploited by malware ad infinitum. If you don't like the extra typing, just leave the "c:\" off, and they will go to your home folder like God Satan Microsoft intended.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:If you don't like the extra typing, just leave the "c:\" off, and they will go to your home folder like God Satan Microsoft intended.

This may depend on the program, say if you do "someapp input.file output.file", it may just go to the current or startup folder/directory. It depends on how someapp calls fopen/CreateFile/etc.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
just brew it! wrote:If you don't like the extra typing, just leave the "c:\" off, and they will go to your home folder like God Satan Microsoft intended.

This may depend on the program, say if you do "someapp input.file output.file", it may just go to the current or startup folder/directory. It depends on how someapp calls fopen/CreateFile/etc.

Yeah, I suppose I should've been more specific. What I meant to say is, if the app doesn't mess with the file name arguments specified on the command line, and you haven't changed the working directory ("cd" command) after opening the command shell, the files should go to your home folder.

The startup folder for the command shell defaults to your home folder.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 am

You guys are awesome. Those files were totally in the VirtualStore folder.
My SSD (which I don't normally use for this kind of stuff) thanks all of you. :)
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Return to General Software