Favorite Windows VM Software

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

What Windows Virtual Machine software is your favorite?

VMware
44%
Virtual Box
34%
Hyper-V
19%
Other (Post it!)
3%

Total votes : 32

Re: Favorite Windows VM Software

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 pm

NovusBogus wrote:What about moving VMs, will Windows detect the changed motherboard and require re-activation?

If you are moving the VM to a similar host and use the virtualization software's "clone" tool (which preserves the MAC addresses of the virtual NICs and the VM's machine UUID) I believe you will be OK in many cases. I've done it a few of times.

Note that continuing to use the source VM after setting up the destination VM is a EULA violation unless you're volume licensed...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Favorite Windows VM Software

Postposted on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 am

just brew it! wrote:Been using VirtualBox for a few years on both Windows and Linux hosts. I realize that VMware does some things better, but VirtualBox is good enough, free, and I'm familiar with it.

New owners of the company I work for require that everyone's primary desktop run Windows 7 Enterprise. I' m more of a Linux guy (and develop stuff for Linux targets), so I guess I will be making even more use of VirtualBox going forward. I've already got a pretty nice Kubuntu 12.04 VM set up that I am migrating most of my day-to-day development work to.

I tend to agree with JBI's assessment. Virtualbox isn't the ultimate VM in features, but it is pretty simple to setup and get running for my needs when I need to have Windows running on top of Linux (seamless mode is fun too).
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to General Software