Antivirus

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Antivirus

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 pm

I use MalwareBytes for ALL my office PCs. It works quite well to keep them clean, but I'm wondering if there are additional steps or permissions I can employ to keep staff from haphazardly overriding warnings. (Besides firing the staff for being careless)
JawesomeArt
Gerbil

Re: Antivirus

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:57 pm

This is not stressed enough that I would ignore the may-be spam posts and just throw it out there:

Best practices wrote:Do not give administrative access to your regular users.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Antivirus

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

At the moment, I recommend Avira Free anti-virus. This will probably change in a year or two, since the last few years have seen many players in this market with many crappy products released. Bitdefender, MS security essentials, Avast, and yes, even clamwin, even though it is an open source, freely supported program.

The other issue is actually USING the AV software...most peeps install it, update it, then think it will do all the work for you. You have to take the time to setup routine FULL scans in off hours then READ the log files on the same routine.

And stated earlier..NO ROOT(administrator) ACCESS. If you let employees use your work pc's with root access then you deserve every virus/Trojan/toolbar you get!!!
MSI X58A-GD65, i7-920@3.8, EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.
zenlessyank
Gerbil

Return to General Software