Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: LogMeIn Free going away today!!!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Yan wrote:
Any comments about NeoRouter? I like that it works on Windows, Mac OS and Linux, and that it's free.

I've been using it with great success so far. It's not as "nice" as Hamachi's interface/setup, and requires a server, but if you have a dedicated machine sitting around and are willing to use a DNS service like no-ip.com it's a perfect alternative to Hamachi. I'd say it's inbetween OpenVPN and Hamachi in terms of ease of use and capabilities.

AbRASiON

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Terrible amount of notice given to customers, pretty piss poor effort.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:17 pm

One of the users I support first received the message with the one-week warning, then received another message saying he could continue using LogMeIn Free for 6 months. He's a heavy user, so perhaps LogMeIn is hoping he'll decide to buy the Pro version.

For another user, I ended up trying Team Viewer, and it seems to work well so far. My only concern is that there are some reports that the free version is in fact limited to 25 hours per month.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:59 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
Terrible amount of notice given to customers, pretty piss poor effort.

Well, on the other hand, if you were using logmein free it's pretty hard to bitch about it considering it was only costing them money to supply it.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 pm

But if it's their habit in general not to announce disruptive changes in licensing or product availability with enough lead time for their customers to adjust, it's certainly going to make me hesitate to become a paid customer. I mean, if they're likely to make my life difficult at some inconvenient time in the future, I might as well plan on taking that hit myself when it is least inconvenient -- by transitioning to one of their competitors. For all the grief Microsoft gets, they generally give you months or even years of warning before they kill a product -- even the free ones.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Apparently my hamachi will stop working today. Anyone find a suitable replacement?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 pm

I've chosen Team Viewer. It's similar to Log Me In, but better.

The only confusing thing is that there are two ways to connect: when the target computer is unattended (as with Log Me In), and when there's someone at the target computer who gives you a one-time password. For the first method, see Setup Unattended Access.

BeachNut
Gerbil

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 am

I've also gone to Team Viewer and the only annoyance so far is the 'this has been a free sponsored session' etc. message that the PC you connect to displays when you disconnect, which the user on that end has to 'like' or 'ok'.
C64, 1541 HDD, 1702 Screen, tape deck.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 am

I'm sorry that this caught you guys by surprise. I used to use LogMeIn a lot, and Hamachi as well.

When they decided to monetize me by taking away Hamachi, I made plans to dump LMI Free as well, and haven't looked back. Teamviewer works well for remote control, and has a light version VPN built in. I also propped up PPTP on my router, so I don't need them anymore.

If the experienced users leave because it costs too much, won't the noob users leave once there's no people to ask questions of? Let's find out.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 am

mikeanderton wrote:
Hi!
There is another alternative for all LogMeIn products which is called ISL Online.

With Remote Support to unlimited operators, Remote Access to unlimited computers, Live Chat for unlimited chats and agents, and Web Conference and Mobile Applications which are already included in a license.

Given the topic subject, and that most of the discussion revolves around *FREE* alternatives to the former LogMeIn FREE service, you might want to disclose that ISL Online is a pay-only service, Mike.

For those that don't wish to do the Google search I just did, there are three plans to pay for ISL, 145$ for 500 minutes, 469$ per year (with an additional 169$ per year if you'd like multiple simultaneous sessions), and 990$ plus update and upgrade fees for lifetime, as long as you're running your own server.

Not exactly a replacement for LMI Free, more a competitor to LMI Paid, but thanks anyways.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 am

The RHUB devices are really nice. I have one at work, and it really works well.

The only problem is that Kaspersky keeps me from interacting with the Kaspersky windows when I'm in a remote session.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri May 16, 2014 10:51 am

i am pretty sure that davidpollard and mikeanderton are intelligent spambots or something. the discussion was about alternatives to a free product, and then they push stuff that is hundreds and thousands of dollars...i mean the cheapest RHUB server starts at $1100, so that is not going to be an option to support my parents 1-2 a year. i am always leary of 1 post users anyway.

back on topic, my transistion to teamviewer is complete. bye bye logmein.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:47 am

ryko wrote:
i am pretty sure that davidpollard and mikeanderton are intelligent spambots or something. the discussion was about alternatives to a free product, and then they push stuff that is hundreds and thousands of dollars...i mean the cheapest RHUB server starts at $1100, so that is not going to be an option to support my parents 1-2 a year. i am always leary of 1 post users anyway.
And there's another one. Maybe we should just lock this thread?