Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

LASR
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Windows Download Manager Recommendations?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 am

I am looking for a multi-part download accelerator for windows. Chrome does well for small downloads. but for large linux isos, I would like something faster.

Any recommendations?

I've looked into
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

But this looks like a typical malware imitation website.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows Download Manager Recommendations?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 am

What browser are you using? For Firefox I've used DownloadThemAll! which works pretty well. I am sure Chrome has a few download manager plugins as well.

Typically download managers are installed on a per-browser basis, so it's not usually a Windows thing.

Also, for Linux ISOs, why not just torrent it? It's literally what everyone says they use torrents for. uTorrent is pretty good but be careful during the installation that you don't add any bloatware.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 am

I've been fond of GetRight/Lightning Download in the past, but haven't needed them in a long time. (Same developer, ones just a little less featured.)
Meow.

madlemming
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:50 am

I like to use a system wide download manager, just because I use firefox beta builds which tend to be crashy.

I've used both getright & free download manager; I'd recommend either of them without hesitation. (you have the right site for free download manager, I guess they just look sketchy)

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:11 am

I have been using this for years, not free but when configured to your liking works great.

http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 pm

I use wget for a lot of things. Free, and there is a windows version.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:35 pm

LASR wrote:
I am looking for a multi-part download accelerator for windows. Chrome does well for small downloads. but for large linux isos, I would like something faster.

If you are downloading linux ISO's then why not just use a bittorrent client. Most distro's out there have a seed and usually they are the fastest way to get the iso's and usually are capable of saturating your download. As an added feature since bittorrent downloads in checksumed chunks, you can be sure that it is a 1:1 copy error free.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes, just use a bittorrent client for downloading those ISOs. You'll get much better results unless you're into unusual Linux distros like ancient Debians or Hacker Joe's Tibetan-language respin of Knoppix, i.e. files that almost nobody's seeding.

Besides, if you're torrenting then you're sharing bandwidth with everyone instead of hammering someone's server.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

spuppy
Gerbil

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:26 pm

credible wrote:
I have been using this for years, not free but when configured to your liking works great.

http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

I second this recommendation. I have been using it for many years, and it easily caps my bandwidth for me, has no bugs that I can tell, works with all browsers, and is updated regularly to keep up with how browsers and websites change (mostly due to Google tinkering with Chrome and Youtube all the time)

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 am

I used FreeDownload Manager all the way up to Windows 8.0 a year ago and I liked it. FireFox does a passable job so I haven't gone back to FDM as yet. So far so good.

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:57 pm

I agree. torrent is the best for linux isos and that way you save on the server's bandwidth, though you do use more of yours.

I've never really understood the idea behind download managers and speed though. It is really out of their hands is it not? Download managers cannot magically have a significant impact on the speed of your connection.

the main benefit I find to download managers is to resume in the face of connection errors and stalls. browser download managers seem not to be able to do this basic thing. wget is what I use there. though sometimes it's a pain with regards to javascript required urls.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Download managers. Thought those went the way of the dodo once we all transitioned out of dial-up.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm

PenGun wrote:
I use wget for a lot of things. Free, and there is a windows version.

Try axel. It will do multi-part.

Captain Ned wrote:
Download managers. Thought those went the way of the dodo once we all transitioned out of dial-up.

Not necessarily. I like using DownloadThemAll! for some of the features. I can queue files for download. This is nice for when I'm downloading lots of files. I can restrict how many downloads are running at one time, and it does accelerate the downloads. I can have multiple download locations specified, so I can easily jump between locations. DownloadThemAll! can also resume downloads, and it supports some of the more obscure download methods out there. Metalink support is particularly nice.