Help Please : Not able to modify host file

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Help Please : Not able to modify host file

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 am

Hi,

I am trying to add a website address & name to windows "host" file but when trying to save it I get the message that " I don't have permission to save in this Location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. "

This is my personal PC & I am the only one using this computer. No one else's names are added in the user accounts & it shows that I am the administrator in control panel's user accounts.

How do I resolve this ?

Thanks
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Re: Help Please : Not able to modify host file

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:54 am

When you get the properties on the file, what user is listed as the owner (Details tab) and what users/groups have modify/write permissions (Security tab)?
(Personally, I always run as an ordinary user and for things like this I just have a shortcut to the HOSTS file with notepad set to run as Administrator).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 am

As UberGerbil said it's a permissions issue. You can probably just run Notepad as an administrator, then open the HOSTS file from that Notepad instance.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 am

UberGerbil wrote:When you get the properties on the file, what user is listed as the owner (Details tab) and what users/groups have modify/write permissions (Security tab)?
(Personally, I always run as an ordinary user and for things like this I just have a shortcut to the HOSTS file with notepad set to run as Administrator).

First I have named my computer as " abc "

Administrator : just an initial "D"
-------------------------------------------------

This is what I found in property :

Details Tab
-----------------------
Attributes : A
Owner : SYSTEM
------------------------
Under
Groups or User Names :
SYSTEM
Administrators ( abc\Administrators )
Users (abc\Users)

I tried the second method of opening notepad as an administrator & opening host file from there but nothing was listed in folder " etc " So I did not find host file there.

Now I guess the first method to Edit ? & what should I put & where ?

Thanks
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 am

dan99t wrote:I tried the second method of opening notepad as an administrator & opening host file from there but nothing was listed in folder " etc " So I did not find host file there.

It's probably because the open dialog is set to filter out anything not a *.txt file. Click on the drop down above Open/Cancel and change it to "All Files (*.*)" or just type "*.*" (minus the quotes) into the File name box and hit enter; that would show all the files in the directory. You can actually also just type in "hosts" (as long as you're in .../drivers/etc/) and it would open the hosts file straight away.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m
mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 am

dan99t wrote:I tried the second method of opening notepad as an administrator & opening host file from there but nothing was listed in folder " etc " So I did not find host file there.

When you use File -> Open and get the Open File dialog, did you switch the file type to "All Files"? By default you will be shown only .txt files.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am

All Files did the trick.

Thank You all. Really appreciate the help.
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:21 pm

So I just have a shortcut for this (right click on the desktop or wherever and create a new Shortcut and call it "Edit HOSTS" or whatever). In the properties for the shortcut, on the Shortcut tab, the Target is set as:
Code: Select all
%windir%\system32\notepad.exe %windir%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
The "Start in" option is also set to
Code: Select all
%windir%\System32\drivers\etc
On the Advanced dialog (reached through the Advanced... button on that tab) "Run as Administrator" is checked. (You to have access to that checkbox you need to be creating/editing this shortcut as an Admin user).

This allows me to run as a normal user but still edit my HOSTS file whenever necessary (I get prompted for my admin password when I launch the shortcut, of course).

I don't use this as much as I used to because I now maintain the hosts file in my router to centralize it for my entire network.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Return to General Software