Got a random itch to create a 3D model. DIT

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Got a random itch to create a 3D model. DIT

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 11:35 am

I was reading something in the news recently, and got an idea for a 3D model to make as a joke. Assuming I have good reference photos of the person, which 3D package would make it easier to recreate them as a model?

I've got access to zbrush, maya (with Maxwell), mudbox, sketchup, Cinema 4D, and Modo. Difficulty level: I've never really done much 3D, beyond just farting around.

Basically, I was wanting to create a bronze statue of Rick Harrison (Pawn Stars) done up like the Statue of Liberty, with something to replace the torch and tablet, and have an inscription on the base the reads ""Gimme your scrap metal, your wallet, your phone, your shoes, your jewelry yearning to be pawned".

Doable, biting off more than I can chew, or should I just stick to Illustrator and Photoshop?
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Got a random itch to create a 3D model. DIT

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Damn you are well stocked, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous. Assuming you have to make it from scratch, Zbrush/Mudbox is going to be your best bet because it's intended for sculpting. There may be some tools out there to turn photos into a rough model to get you started. Be warned, human sculpting is *not* easy and expect to have to sink a lot of time and possibly money into learning how to do it right. These are pro-level tools so badass models are mostly coming from people who've done this 8 hours a day for many years.

Your other option, which is much more novice-friendly, is Poser or DAZ Studio. These are both designed specifically for human-figure rendering and work with premade figures with morph dials to change the figure's appearance, i.e. give him wrinkles or make him fat/skinny/etc. DS is a free download and it may include enough figures and morphs to do what you want to do so I'd start there.

Incidentally, if your goal is to print this be aware that that introduces a lot of complexities depending on the size, level of detail, and technology you intend to use.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Re: Got a random itch to create a 3D model. DIT

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 pm

NovusBogus wrote:Damn you are well stocked, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous. Assuming you have to make it from scratch, Zbrush/Mudbox is going to be your best bet because it's intended for sculpting. There may be some tools out there to turn photos into a rough model to get you started. Be warned, human sculpting is *not* easy and expect to have to sink a lot of time and possibly money into learning how to do it right. These are pro-level tools so badass models are mostly coming from people who've done this 8 hours a day for many years.

Your other option, which is much more novice-friendly, is Poser or DAZ Studio. These are both designed specifically for human-figure rendering and work with premade figures with morph dials to change the figure's appearance, i.e. give him wrinkles or make him fat/skinny/etc. DS is a free download and it may include enough figures and morphs to do what you want to do so I'd start there.

Incidentally, if your goal is to print this be aware that that introduces a lot of complexities depending on the size, level of detail, and technology you intend to use.

I hadn't thought about Poser. I think I have a copy someone gave me here somewhere. I'll give it a shot. I was able to find a goodly amount of DigitalTutor courses for zbrush, maya, and mudbox, so hopefully that will help as well.

I hadn't really intended for this to be in print. More likely posted to imgur, actually. If it turns out great, I might send a copy to the Gold and Silver's email address, or the production company. A one-off T-shirt could happen, since I'm trying to recreate a few long lost t-shirts, and create a few more, based on video games, manga, comics, movies. That's a whole other thread, though.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Software