Youtube video formats/HTML5 vs Flash

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Youtube video formats/HTML5 vs Flash

Postposted on Wed May 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Is it just me, or does the HTML5 player under Chrome (which means VP9) seem to use far more CPU than Flash (which means fully hardware accelerated H.264 when fullscreen)? Any thoughts on getting around this? IE11 uses H.264 and HTML5 if forced away from Flash, but resolutions are limited (not to mention that the HTML5 player is dog slow at changing video resolutions for me). Firefox seems to not allow HTML5 at all on certain videos, like VEVO ones (monetized, so previously no HTML5 at all).
localhostrulez
Gerbil

Re: Youtube video formats/HTML5 vs Flash

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 am

It's not only you. Chrome's playback of streaming videos is a **** mess. Its HTML5 player cannot provide a proper GPU acceleration on some systems (for example, like my current laptop with Intel Iris 5100 GPU and latest Intel's drivers for it), resulting in high CPU usage (which is annoying on laptops due to noticeable increase in case warmth and fan speed), regardless of Chrome's flags/settings. Same goes for Chrome's own "PepperFlash" Flash player (which everyone should manually disable by default).

To get around this - either use different browser OR force YouTube's videos to use Flash (there are Chrome extensions which allow this). If you'll do that - don't forget to also disable Chrome's own "PepperFlash" player.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 2:45 am

I stick to Flash on Windows 8.1/IE 11 - For some reason the HTML5 video's don't go full screen. They also don't appear to be GPU accelerated judging by the stuttering on Full HD playback and one single core of my CPU running flat out.
Mini Beast - Intel C2QE QX9770 (4.2 Ghz) | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 8GB DDR3 1066 | KFA2 GTX 750 Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
Mega Beast - AMD FX-8350 (4.7 Ghz) | Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | XFire R9 290X | Sandisk X300S 512GB
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 10:25 pm

The HTML5 player under Chrome doesn't have proper GPU acceleration on my desktop (i5 750, 550ti) or my netbook (AMD E350, integrated Radeon 6310) - nothing that I've seen has VP9 hardware acceleration at the moment.

Chrome's PepperFlash player seems to give me more CPU use as well than the system one, so I also disable it.

HTML5 videos fullscreen fine for me though.
localhostrulez
Gerbil

Return to General Software